Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Ugly Betty S1 or Grey's Anatomy S3?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

As you can tell by the title, I'm stuck between those two shows.
I saw the first two seasons of GA and thought it was decent, but fun to watch. I've only seen an episode of Ugly Betty and that was fun as well.

I'm going on vacation out of the country and want to put one of these shows (well, to make this more dvd-like, dvds) onto my iPod.

Which one do you guys reccomend?
I know they're different, but I'm just looking for any input actually.
Old 08-10-07, 04:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
um, neither.

Firefly: the complete series
Rescume Me S1-3
The Shield S1-5
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia S1-2
Old 08-10-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with TallGuyMe, don't bother with either of the two.

Ugly Betty & Grey's Anatomy is television garbage.

If your looking for a good medical drama then check out St. Elsewhere-Season One or ER seasons 1-6 (S7 saw a slight decline). Their is no drama or medical jargon on Grey's Anatomy. It's just a bunch of unlikable people having sex for 40 minutes.

If your looking for a comedy (which also happens to be in the medical world) then (I think everyone knows what I'm going to recommend hear) I Extremely Recommend Scrubs. Buy Seasons 1-5 if you have any taste in high quality television. Ugly Betty isn't funny. It's annoying. I could reommend you alot of comedies. Hell Designing Women is a better choice then Ugly Betty if your looking for something that is in the fashion world.
Old 08-10-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What's with all the threadcraps? The OP stated that he enjoys what he's seen of these shows, so those who hate both probably shouldn't be trying to "convert" him.
Old 08-10-07, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
What's with all the threadcraps? The OP stated that he enjoys what he's seen of these shows, so those who hate both probably shouldn't be trying to "convert" him.
Why not? I can't even have or give an opinion now? I'm telling him that I think he should try other shows that are better then Ugly Betty or Grey's Anatomy & that he's missing out on alot of much better television programs.
Old 08-10-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I read that post correctly, I'm not sure this is the right forum, but ...

Grey's 3rd season is much like the 2nd half of Season Two, only worse. It's incredibly over-the-top and melodramatic, with some new "Denny Drama" every week. Some people like that, but I found the writing to be ridiculous and got headaches from all the eye-rolling.

Ugly Betty takes itself far less seriously and is more fun and good natured. If you liked the pilot, you'll probably like the show, as it's mostly that style every week. The plots recycle, making it better for weekly viewing than a DVD marathon, and there's a truly idiotic background story arc, but it's a fun show in the same spirit of Silvio Horta's other series. I don't think it can stay entertaining too much longer, but the 1st season is pretty solid, and I'd much rather watch it than suffer through the disaster that Grey's became in its 3rd.

das
Old 08-10-07, 11:54 AM

Thanks for all the input. I guess it's time to clarify a few things about the first post and myself (for all those who care to listen).

I watch all those shows mentioned, and I love them. Thing is, I'm just looking for a show to grab from iTunes (so I can take it with me on my trip) that I generally wouldn't buy on dvd (an inferior show to the likes of something such as Scrubs, Lost, Rescue Me, 30 Rock, The Office, House, etc - IMO).

I never liked shows such as "Grey's" or "Desperate Housewives", but they were decent to pass the time.

So, thanks for all the recs, and thanks to das monkey for the analysis.

Grey's Anatomy seems to suffering the same problems that made me hate its second season in parts, so I'll pass.

I'm thinking I'll either get Ugly Betty or The Dresden Files. I just spotted that one.

Has anyone heard anything about that [The Dresden Files]?

Thanks again everyone. And sorry if this is the wrong thread, I just didn't want to turn to IMDB for this (you all are much smarter).

Last edited by dman988; 08-10-07 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-10-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nateman241
Why not? I can't even have or give an opinion now? I'm telling him that I think he should try other shows that are better then Ugly Betty or Grey's Anatomy & that he's missing out on alot of much better television programs.
In your opinion. Bear in mind a few key words from the first post: "I'm stuck between these two shows" and "Which one do you guys recommend?"...not "Do you think these two shows suck?" and "What should I get instead?".

I mean, the thread title alone should spell out his question pretty clearly.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 08-10-07 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 01:04 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

But he also said...

"I know they're different, but I'm just looking for any input actually.

Old 08-10-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
But he also said...

"I know they're different, but I'm just looking for any input actually.
Yeah, input on the two shows...aside from the fact that they're different. Remember, he's only see bits and pieces of each, so he was looking for comments about both series as a whole.

Anyway, I can see this is a pointless argument.
Old 08-10-07, 01:16 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember, he's only see bits and pieces of each, so he was looking for comments about both series as a whole.
So, if he has only seen bits and pieces, then what better advice is there than to skip these shows alltogether?

And, yes... this is a pointless argument, just like every other on-line debate since the birth of the internet.
Old 08-10-07, 06:00 PM

I kind of did mean input on those two shows, so I apologize if I was being unclear --

Regardless, thanks for caring enough to try and help. I do appreciate it.
Old 08-11-07, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Yeah, input on the two shows...aside from the fact that they're different. Remember, he's only see bits and pieces of each, so he was looking for comments about both series as a whole.

Anyway, I can see this is a pointless argument.
I agree with TallMeGuy. Technically speaking any arguement can be pointless to someone.

Plus at least I was giving my opinion & just saying, "Skip Grey's & Betty altogether" instead of coming into this thread & start bitching about how I'm threadcrapping. You didn't even answer his question in the first place. At least I was staying on-topic.
Old 08-11-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Getting back to these two shows, I'd recommend Ugly Betty. It's hilarious first of all but it has several heartwarming moments too. And Betty is a character you can probably relate to and root for.
Old 08-13-07, 01:12 AM

Thanks again.

I decided to get Ugly Betty.