Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Pacific - HBO - from the Band of Brothers creative team

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pacific - HBO - from the Band of Brothers creative team

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/enews/t...ic-070807.html

Production will begin August 13 in Australia on THE PACIFIC, it was announced today by Colin Callender, president, HBO Films. Shooting through mid-2008, the epic ten-hour miniseries is executive produced by Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Gary Goetzman, the creative team behind the Emmy®-winning 2001 HBO miniseries “Band of Brothers.”

THE PACIFIC is produced by HBO Films in association with Playtone and DreamWorks Television. It is a co-production with Channel Seven in Australia. The production is based at Melbourne Central City Studios in Melbourne, Victoria, with filming taking place in and around Melbourne, where U.S. troops camped in 1943, and multiple locations in Far North Queensland. Kary Antholis, senior vice president, HBO Films, is the executive in charge of the project. THE PACIFIC is scheduled to debut on HBO and Channel Seven in 2009.

The miniseries tracks the intertwined odysseys of three U.S. Marines – Robert Leckie (played by James Badge Dale), Eugene Sledge (Joe Mazzello) and John Basilone (Jon Seda) – across the vast canvas of the Pacific. The extraordinary experiences of these men and their fellow Marines take them from the first clash with the Japanese in the haunted jungles of Guadalcanal, through the impenetrable rain forests of Cape Gloucester, across the blasted coral strongholds of Peleliu, up the black sand terraces of Iwo Jima, through the killing fields of Okinawa, to the triumphant, yet uneasy, return home after V-J Day.

Five-time Emmy-nominee Tim Van Patten (HBO’s “The Sopranos”) will direct Episode One. Writers and additional directors will be announced as they are confirmed.

In addition to James Badge Dale (“The Departed”), Joe Mazzello (“Without a Trace”) and Jon Seda (“Kevin Hill”), actors featured in THE PACIFIC include (in alphabetical order) Akos Armont, Joshua Biton (“National Treasure”), Adam Booth (“Doctors”), Simon Bossell (“Hotel de Love”), Laurence Breuls (“Ghost Rider”), Tom Budge (“Last Train to Freo”), Linda Cropper (“McLeod’s Daughters”), Brendan Fletcher (“Tideland”), Eamon Farren (“The Outsider”), Leon Ford (HBO’s “Tsunami: The Aftermath”), Daniel Frederiksen (“Stingers”), Scott Gibson (“Lucky Number Slevin”), Joshua Helman, Ashton Holmes (“A History of Violence”), Andrew Lees, Rami Malek (“The War at Home”), Martin McCann (“Closing the Ring”), Ian Meadows (“Home and Away”), Toby Moore (“Joanne Lees: Murder in the Outback”), Rohan Nichol (“All Saints”), Henry Nixon (“Happy Feet”), Keith Nobbs (“The Black Donnellys”), Annie Parisse (“Law & Order”), Sam Parsonson (“Love My Way”), Jacob Pitts (“The Novice”), Rupert Reid (“The Matrix Reloaded”), Mitch Ryan, William Sadler (“The Shawshank Redemption”), Gary Sweet, Anna Torv (“Young Lions”), Sandy Winton (“Two Twisted”), Dylan Young and Ashley Zukerman. Additional actors will be announced as they are confirmed.

THE PACIFIC is based on the books “With the Old Breed,” by Eugene Sledge, which was hailed by historian Paul Fussell as “one of the finest memoirs to emerge from any war,” and “Helmet for My Pillow,” by Robert Leckie (recipient of the Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Annual Award), as well as original interviews conducted by the filmmakers. Continuing the World War II oral history work begun by his father Stephen E. Ambrose (author of the book “Band of Brothers”), Hugh Ambrose serves as a consultant on the miniseries.

THE PACIFIC is produced by HBO Films in association with Playtone and DreamWorks Television; executive producers, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Gary Goetzman; co-executive producers, Tony To, Graham Yost; supervising producer, Bruce McKenna; producer, Gene Kelly; co-producers, Robert Schenkkan, George P. Pelecanos, Michelle Ashford; directors of photography, Remi Adefarasin, BSC and Steve Windon; production designer, Anthony Pratt; WWII consultant, Hugh Ambrose; military advisor, Capt. Dale Dye; U.S. casting, Meg Liberman; Australian casting, Christine King.
Old 08-08-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't wait!
Old 08-08-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This can't get here soon enough.
Old 08-09-07, 06:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. If this is half as good as BOB, sign me up for the full hitch.
Old 08-09-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

awesome!
Old 08-09-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts
I love Band of Brothers so I'm really looking forward to this.

I just IMDB'd the cast; the guy playing Eugene Sledge is the kid from Jurassic Park! I've wondered what he's up to these days.
Old 08-09-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
'W/ the Old Breed' was on a WWII display that Borders had set up in the aisle yesterday - I always recommend it. One of my favorite books from college.

I couldn't find 'Helmet for My Pillow' though. I might just have to order it on the internets.
Old 08-09-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
my library web search cant find Helmet for my pillow. anyone know about this book?
Old 08-09-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I just read The Old Breed, and it is fantastic. Pillow is one I could not find either, but I guess I will have to Amazon it.
Old 08-09-07, 10:19 PM

Helmet for My Pillow is a hard book to find, and when you do find it expect to pay $50+ for it. I'm sure they will put out a new printing of the book before The Pacific airs.
Old 08-09-07, 10:27 PM
Banned

can't wait. seems so far away
Old 08-09-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm too lazy to IMDB it, but is anyone reprising their role from BoB?
Old 08-09-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Cool! I'll have to get HBO again when this comes out.
Old 08-09-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by chase3001
Nope. though there's only 8 people cast so far (at least according to IMDB) but I would be surprised if anyone from BoB showed up.
Old 08-10-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be suprised if Dale Dye popped up in there somewhere
Old 08-10-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Aw yeah!
Old 08-10-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent and thanks for the updates. I am so looking forward to this.
Old 08-11-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by chase3001
I'd be awful surprised if any members of the 101st Airborne in Europe decided to join the Marines in the middle of the war and fight in Southeast Asia.

It's disappointing that the show has such a cast of unknowns. I didn't want an all-star cast like From The Earth, but veteran character actors like BoB would have been nice. The only name I recognized was William Sadler, but checking IMDB, I find that one of the leads, James Badge Dale, played Chase on season 3 of 24. Maybe I'll recognise some of the others as well.

I see, thankfully, that Graham Yost is a co-exec producer of this. I hope he knocks out an episode or two like he did on BoB and From The Earth To The Moon. Checking out IMDB, I discovered that he did that Jeff Goldblum series "Raines" which I completely missed. I wonder if it was any good.

Last edited by Decker; 08-11-07 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-11-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Raines was quirky. Not great, but was pretty good for what it was. Jeff Goldblum made the show.
Old 08-11-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMontels
Helmet for My Pillow is a hard book to find, and when you do find it expect to pay $50+ for it.
http://www.amazon.com/Helmet-Pillow-.../dp/0743413075

Old 08-12-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow $28-$125 for a used paperback.