Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon. Ripper (a.k.a. Giles). TV Movie. 90 minutes. BBC. 2008.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://whedonesque.com/comments/13859

Joss Whedon hopes to unleash Ripper, a 90 minute Giles-centric TV movie, with the help of the BBC in 2008. Tony Stewart Head is onboard. Discuss!

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 08-01-07 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-28-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If true, this would be beyond awesome. Giles was always my favorite Buffy character.
Old 07-28-07, 08:51 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
awesome !
Old 07-28-07, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Ill wait for more 'confirmed' news. Its a mess on that page.
Old 07-28-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If true, awesome. I've been waiting for this for years.
Old 07-28-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice, always one of my favorite characters.
Old 07-28-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope this happens, Giles is a favorite.
Old 07-29-07, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

OMG this made my week!

*crosses fingers* it doesn't fall throw the cracks!
Old 07-29-07, 02:42 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hell, I would take a Kennedy/Connor movie at this point.
Old 07-29-07, 03:37 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
There's a lot of ex Buffy cast members whose careers haven't exactly taken off so i'm sure it will be easy to get plenty of the old gang back
Old 07-29-07, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wouldn't Ripper be about his life prior to becoming a Watcher? Or has his character gone on to use that name in the Season 8 comics?
Old 07-29-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
There's a lot of ex Buffy cast members whose careers haven't exactly taken off so i'm sure it will be easy to get plenty of the old gang back
I could see how *maybe* they could get somebody who played a vampire or a watcher into this film, but that would be about it if I understand the concept right (that it's about the pre-watcher Giles, as stated above).
Old 07-29-07, 01:25 PM

I always thought 'Ripper' was suppose to be about his life after leaving Buffy on her own, but being haunted by his past...
Old 07-29-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I always thought 'Ripper' was suppose to be about his life after leaving Buffy on her own, but being haunted by his past...
Well, that gets you to whether the movie is about the past (which will require some makeup) or about the present. I guess if it's about the present, anybody could show up, alive or dead, given the way the universe operates.
Old 07-29-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I'd take a new actor as a young Giles over nothing, I'd really rather see Anthony Head as Giles in a present day story.
Old 08-02-07, 03:23 PM

From Entertainment Weekly:
And what about Ripper — is that going to hit BBC America?

It's BBC [right now], in England. It's still being worked out. The character is still part of the Buffy franchise that Fox owns. We want to make sure that everybody gets respected. And everything is contingent on the script. I have an outline, but I don't have a script yet.

Anthony Stewart Head (who plays Giles) is willing to wait?

Yeah, Tony and I had dinner and he's like, ''Oh yeah, I hate this idea!'' I pitched him the story — he's heard some of it before. But a story point [finally] fell into place. For years, I hadn't been able to figure it out. Let's just say something very bad is happening, and I couldn't figure out why.
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20049318,00.html
Old 06-02-09, 01:09 PM

Re: Joss Whedon. Ripper (a.k.a. Giles). TV Movie. 90 minutes. BBC. 2008.

From Sci Fi Wire:
Anthony Head: The Buffy spinoff Ripper may still be possible

Anthony Stewart Head, who played Giles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, told reporters that he is still discussing a possible British spinoff series or film centering on his character with creator Joss Whedon.

Just as news is breaking that a new Buffy movie is in the works, Head said that he was talking about the proposed spinoff, to be called Ripper, with Whedon just before Whedon began to conceive Fox's Dollhouse.

"I actually introduced Joss to Julie Gardner, who was the executive producer on [Merlin] with the BBC," Head said in a conference call on Monday during which he was promoting Merlin. "She has long wanted to do something with the project. There are obviously complications with Ripper, because there are lots of tie-ins. There's Fox, there's the Kuzuis [who own the rights to Buffy], there's all sorts of stuff. Basically, it isn't just the simple question of Joss making a series that he wants to make. As far as anything concerned with Buffy, there are a lot of people down the line that would have a say. That's part of the equation, but we were sort of talking about what we might do with it. Pretty much at that point he had this conversation with Eliza [Dushku about Dollhouse], and the rest is history, for the moment."

Whedon announced plans for a Ripper series as soon as Head left Buffy in 2001 to return to his home in England. Over the past eight years, the idea has evolved, he said.

"Originally, when he pitched it to me, it was a series, and it was Giles as this sad, lonely man in England without a real reason to be," Head said. "It was pretty much ghost stories. Week by week, some ghost story would somehow affect him. Then he said he didn't want to. By that time, I think he had been affected by Angel, the need to write a weekly story. I think he found at that point the drive was different, so he suggested this one film that we were going to make. He told me this story that he had written, and it's absolutely beautiful, and I hope that one day it gets made, whether it's in the guise of Ripper or whether we just tell it as a one-off TV movie. It's a lovely, lovely story. It's kind of a ghost story. It's also about a man investigating his own soul, and it's fascinating, lovely, sad, and it's classic Joss Whedon. I hope we get to make it one day. From there on in, if it was successful, maybe he could have been convinced to do a series. As I say, now he's back in the seat of doing a weekly series with Dollhouse; maybe he can be convinced otherwise. Never say never, but at the same time, I think it's on a shelf for a while."

Just in case Ripper remains on Whedon's shelf, Head offered hints as to what Giles' nickname means after all. "I don't think we'll ever really know," he said. "I think Ripper just means it's the darker side of someone that you suddenly see that you never ever knew existed. It's a very dark side, and we got to see some of it in Buffy. He's the only guy who's killed an innocent man in Buffy, although Faith did, but Faith was bad. He smothered somebody who ultimately was an innocent bystander. That takes some darkness. That's Ripper."

http://scifiwire.com/2009/06/anthony...e-buffy-sp.php
Old 06-03-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the story will just be about Giles' after-effects from a large dinner at Taco Bell.
Old 06-03-09, 01:53 PM

I highly highly HIGHLY doubt anyone is going to sign off on this with the impending big-screen reboot coming soon...
Old 06-03-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I highly highly HIGHLY doubt anyone is going to sign off on this with the impending big-screen reboot coming soon...
What reboot ?
Old 06-04-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
What reboot ?
this one
Old 06-05-09, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Poor Ripper. This project gets pulled up every so often but it's so muddled down by different owners of rights that I'm afraid it won't get made. Seriously, this story comes up at least once a year. If it really had legs, it would have been done by now. Same with the "Spike" movie often talked about...

I suggest catching the comic book series that continues the shows. All-in-all they come off pretty good.