Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

List Your DVDs that are Crazy expensive on Amazon Marketplace

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
List Your DVDs that are Crazy expensive on Amazon Marketplace

I don't know for some reason it has always facinated me how much some DVDs are priced on Amazon Marketplace

Here are mine
.......................................................Paid................Amazon Marketplace Price
Trancers: Definitive Collection...............$55....................$199.99
Gore From Outer Space........................$20.....................$99.97
Rawhead Rex......................................$20.....................$86.99
Island Of Death...................................$20.....................$79.88
Fright Night Part 2..............................$10-$15.................$76.95
Tokyo Olympiad Criterion...................$30-$35.................$72.99
Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41..$25......................$69.99
Halloween - Television Version.............$20......................$69.99
Lexx Seson 1 4 Vols...........................$15 each...............$42-$80 each
Pokemon - Water Blast.......................$20......................$59.99
Fargo: Set (w/ Snow Globe) (VHS).......$35.......................$50
The Complete Dirty Harry (VHS)..........Gift........................$49.88
Mother's Day......................................$20.......................$49.75
Humanoids From the Deep...................$15.......................$48.85
Black Tight Killer................................$20........................$45.50
Happiness of the Katakuris..................$20........................$45
Nightmares........................................$15.........................$44.99
Ohh Nooo!!! Mr. Bill Classics................Gift.........................$43.95
Flesh Gordon 2....................................$15.........................$40.37
Cannibal! The Musical..........................$20..........................$39.99
Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers................$10.........................$37.37
The New York Ripper...........................$20.........................$36.99

Kinda unremarkable down from there but I am interested to hear of others
Old 07-27-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There so high because Amazon Marketplace has a team of advanced Super-Monkeys running that place.
Old 07-27-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've never even thought to looking up how much any of my dvds would sell for.
Old 07-28-07, 02:24 AM

Yeah there is some crazy prices on there. I may be wrong but if a DVD goes OOP, It only takes one money hungry seller to put it up at a silly price and the rest will follow suit.
Old 07-28-07, 02:41 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Joel Goodsen
Yeah there is some crazy prices on there. I may be wrong but if a DVD goes OOP, It only takes one money hungry seller to put it up at a silly price and the rest will follow suit.
Not completely. If you actually want to sell it, prices fall if the demand is not there.
Old 07-28-07, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Stand...paid like $20..some guy wants $124.95 (his is unopened, as is mine)

Toy Story 2-pack...paid like $20...some guy wants $177.69 (his says new, mine is not)...another guy wants $89.95 for a used copy

Rocky Horror 25th Anniv...paid $15...some guy wants $79.88 for a used copy

seems like the X-files seasons (not the slim-sets) are going for over double what I paid for them.

that's about it. Obviously you can buy those DVDs cheaper on there, I just used the highest prices.

I can't believe The Stand is going for so much!
Old 07-28-07, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by RaraFemina

I can't believe The Stand is going for so much!
The movie is being rereleased soon.
Old 07-28-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The highest Parents is going for right now is 139.99, and that's for a used copy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...5627115&sr=8-2
Old 07-28-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've said it before, I'll say it again - Amazon's marketplace is not where you go to check the value of DVD's. Amazon is full of morons that think OOP automatically = expensive.

The best online indicator of value is to find completed eBay auctions. Any idiot can slap a price on an item and say that's how much it's worth, but in the end it's only worth what you can get for it.
Old 07-28-07, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
The highest Parents is going for right now is 139.99, and that's for a used copy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...5627115&sr=8-2
I've been trying to track down a copy on ebay for a long time. Couple of times I was outbid and Parents were going somewhere else for about $50-60. There was also a buy-it-now copy for $100 and it's been there for like half a year. Now it's gone, maybe someone bought it for this price...
Old 07-28-07, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Giggles
I've been trying to track down a copy on ebay for a long time. Couple of times I was outbid and Parents were going somewhere else for about $50-60. There was also a buy-it-now copy for $100 and it's been there for like half a year. Now it's gone, maybe someone bought it for this price...

You guys know that Parents was released a year ago as a double feature from Lions Gate, right?

It's listed under Fear/Parents. The dvd case specs say fullscreen but it's widescreen. It might just be a matted 1.85:1, I can't tell.

I don't have a problem with people selling OOP dvd's for crazy money, it's a free country. I sold my 2.35:1 Little Odessa a little while ago for almost a hundred dollars.

But I think people selling dvd's that are scheduled for re-release are really sketchy (Caligula, The Stand, Two Lane Blacktop). But Caveat Emptor.

And people who sell dvd's that have been re-released are garbage (Like the recent double feature disc of Manon Of The Spring / Jean Deflorette). People will still list the single discs as "out of print", which I think is pretty fraudulent.

**Edited to add: Once again I'll have to disagree with the opinion offered by MovieExchange. My $100 copy of Little Odessa was listed on Ebay for over six months at a low price with no takers.

There are many many Amazon sellers who use Ebay as a whole-saler for their Amz stores.

Last edited by kintnerboy; 07-28-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-28-07, 09:08 AM

One of the most expensive DVD i ever sold was Cowboy Bebop Limited Edition for $350 ( bought it for $120).
Old 07-28-07, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
You guys know that Parents was released a year ago as a double feature from Lions Gate, right?

It's listed under Fear/Parents. The dvd case specs say fullscreen but it's widescreen. It might just be a matted 1.85:1, I can't tell.

I don't have a problem with people selling OOP dvd's for crazy money, it's a free country. I sold my 2.35:1 Little Odessa a little while ago for almost a hundred dollars.

But I think people selling dvd's that are scheduled for re-release are really sketchy (Caligula, The Stand, Two Lane Blacktop). But Caveat Emptor.

And people who sell dvd's that have been re-released are garbage (Like the recent double feature disc of Manon Of The Spring / Jean Deflorette). People will still list the single discs as "out of print", which I think is pretty fraudulent.
Well, yes, I know about Fear/Parents, but I wanted only original oop Parents and don't need Fear at all. That must be the reason oop Parents are sold for $50+ and Fear/Parents for $3. And I don't think re-release of a DVD necessarily leads to the original release price reduction. Collectors still may want to obtain that initial copy and not re-release. I doubt that after Criterion re-releases Salo (sorry for mentioning this title ) the original recalled version will cost less. Same with Seven Samurai - they re-released it, but I guess the price for their original will only grow.
Old 07-28-07, 09:49 AM

Well, yes, I know about Fear/Parents, but I wanted only original oop Parents and don't need Fear at all. That must be the reason oop Parents are sold for $50+ and Fear/Parents for $3. And I don't think re-release of a DVD necessarily leads to the original release price reduction. Collectors still may want to obtain that initial copy and not re-release. I doubt that after Criterion re-releases Salo (sorry for mentioning this title ) the original recalled version will cost less. Same with Seven Samurai - they re-released it, but I guess the price for their original will only grow.

To each their own, I suppose. To me, the term "out of print" means that there are currently no region one versions of a dvd available. If the OP were to list his copy of Rawhead Rex for $80, my guess is that it would be gone by the end of the day (I know this b/c thats about what I got for mine).

By contrast, I would imagine that if you check back on the Parents single discs listed three months from now, you would see the same 4 listings as today (although at slightly lower prices).

So that is the destinction. In my experience, genuine rale titles really are worth near what they're listed at, whereas discontinued versions of re-released titles is just wishful thinking on the part of the sellers (or worse, fishing for suckers).

As far as re-releases affecting resale values, there was an auction that ended yesterday for Flash Gordon at a little over $25. A year ago, it would have been three or four times that.
Old 07-28-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've sold 3 copies of the Walking Tall Trilogy Box Set for $99.99 within the past month.
Old 07-28-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Donovan's Brain: bought for $1/currently $45 on Amazon

I sold a copy of Fletch before the SE for $65. I understand wanting something badly, especially when it's not available, but these days EVERYTHING gets a re-release. You think if people want these titles so bad some studio doesn't know it? They want to get it back out there to make money. I'll wait for anything I really want that's OOP (like The Car) to be re-released.
Old 07-28-07, 10:22 AM

To the OP's question: I currently do not have any out of print discs in my personal collection. I sell them all as soon as they're worth over $40, even the ones that pain me to sell**, because I believe that 99% of them will be back, and because it's kind of fun waiting for them to come back or show up at a revival house.

** I recently sold my Everyone Says I Love You and Bullets Over Broadway, which killed me, but, given the industries' current trend for double and triple feature discs, I expect them to be re-released together before long.
Old 07-28-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Supergirl (LE) - $17.98 / $51.98-84.95 (Range for Like New)
Mystery Science Theater (Vol. 10) - Gift / $199.00

Last edited by TheMovieman; 07-28-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-28-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Robocop and Hard Boiled Criterions used to sell for around $70+ now they can be had for less than $40. They definitely go down when the new release comes out because a lot of people are buying the oop movie to actually see it and it's the only version available.
Old 07-28-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
I've sold 3 copies of the Walking Tall Trilogy Box Set for $99.99 within the past month.
The Rhino box set? I've had this for ages and never opened it. I've got Donovan's Brain too.

I've still got my old copies of
The Car(AB)
I Saw What You Did(AB)
Journey to Far Side of Sun(Image)
Man of a Thousand Faces(Image)
Farewell My Lovely(Mitchum)
All seem to be around $90
Didn't know they re-issued Funeral in Berlin
Old 07-28-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think there's more, but the ones I know for sure that I've had for years:

The Stand
Dario Argento Collection, V1: Phenomena/Inferno
Dario Argento Collection, V2: Deep Red/Tenebre
Evil Dead 2 [Tin Case]
The Beatles DVD Collection

The funny thing is, I'd like to get rid of all of them:

The Stand (pretty mediocre now, though I loved it as a teen)
Dario Argento Collections (hate Deep Red, Phenomena has its moments, Inferno is one head-scratching mess, and Tenebre is really the only one I can see buying for keeps)
Evil Dead 2 [Tin Case] (looking to get the regular keepcase version)
The Beatles DVD Collection (Help! is the only one I would keep out of the 4 discs, but that DVD is pretty piss-poor and due for a reissue. And I hate hate HATE that flimsy, oversized cardboard package with DVD slots that easily slide out.)

I'd have no problem putting them up for sale on Amazon, even at lower prices than what they're fetching; the only problem is I fear people would think I'm selling bootlegs or they won't take a chance because I've never sold anything on there before.
Old 07-28-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
The Rhino box set? I've had this for ages and never opened it.
Yep. I bought a dozen of them a few years ago during a price mistake. I've already sold half of them.
Old 07-28-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Friends: Complete Series (wood and acrylic original box) (got the seasons for dirt cheap, and the box for $20)- Amazon...$185-$425

Planet of the Apes (Ultimate Collection) Paid $69.99 Amazon $115-$165

A couple of wrestling ones are really high

Twister (Limited Edition Collector's Set) Paid $8.99 Amazon $40-$170
Old 07-28-07, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
To the OP's question: I currently do not have any out of print discs in my personal collection. I sell them all as soon as they're worth over $40, even the ones that pain me to sell**, because I believe that 99% of them will be back, and because it's kind of fun waiting for them to come back or show up at a revival house.
Yes, talking about R1 releases - yes. It's more difficult with LEs and different non-R1 editions. Some will never be back.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Robocop and Hard Boiled Criterions used to sell for around $70+ now they can be had for less than $40. They definitely go down when the new release comes out because a lot of people are buying the oop movie to actually see it and it's the only version available.
Maybe I was wrong on this one. But maybe this wave passes, everyone who's OK with buying re-release gets his copy and it will be those crazy collectors who don't want re-released Criterions, but the original ones, first-press, baby!
Old 07-28-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I've said it before, I'll say it again - Amazon's marketplace is not where you go to check the value of DVD's. Amazon is full of morons that think OOP automatically = expensive.

The best online indicator of value is to find completed eBay auctions. Any idiot can slap a price on an item and say that's how much it's worth, but in the end it's only worth what you can get for it.
I disagree. Value is determined by the marketplace - what people are willing to spend. Amazon.com does have higher prices for out of print material, and that is somewhat due to a misunderstanding of value, but overall when I sell OOP dvds there I get more than what I would at ebay. I think the reason is that Amazon is more of a standard market, whereas Ebay is a bargain hunter's arena. When I sell collectibles on Ebay, the guides of sales around the world will say, for instance, $100 but I only get $60 on Ebay. I think the only time you can legitimately criticize Amazon listers is when there are two copies available with virtually identical content, save that one out of print and one is rereleased with bonus features, and the seller tries to sell for more than the used price of the rerelease.

Anyway, here's a few of mine. I choose the lowest marketplace price, and only used (as mine are all opened) but that's just a preference:

---------------------------------Paid -------Value------------------------
Mystery Science Theater Vol. 1 - $30 ------ $84.50
Mystery Science Theater Vol. 9 - $30 ------ $79.99
Mystery Science Theater Vol. 10 - $80 ------ $199.00
Sleeping Beauty ----------------- $15 ------ $25
Beauty and the Beast ------------ $15 ------ $22.95
Snow White --------------------- $18 ------ $22.95
Hard Boiled criterion ------------- $6 -------- $52.95 - lowest explicitely authentic seller)
Bride of the Re-Animator (pioneer) $32 ------- $27.99
Army of Darkness (Boomstick Edition) $17.99 - $39.98

edit: Forgot these:
The Beatles: Help ---------------- $30 ------ $128
The Beatles: Yellow Submarine --- $25 ------ $41
Oldboy (Three-Disc) -------------- $35 ------ $55
Hero (2000 - Kaneshiro, Takeshi) -- $3 ------- $49.99
G. I. Joe season 2, pt. 1 ---------- $55 ------ $142.50

Wow, oop disney has taken a big hit. Those ones I listed above used to be like $35 to $50.

Last edited by izatright; 07-29-07 at 05:26 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.