Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

When Will DVD be dead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When Will DVD be dead?

I was wondering when you think the DVD format will be dead. Now that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray has been released, how long will it take for them to surpass DVD's and when DVD's will stop being produced. Movies used to come out all the time on VHS and DVD until the VHS just kind of Dissapeared. How long until DVD does the same??
Old 07-26-07, 01:11 AM

It will be a long time before DVD is eventually replaced. I'm not sure that the current HD formats (HD DVD/Blu-ray) will replace DVD, and if they do it will be years before it happens.
Old 07-26-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate to say it, but I think that the hi-def formats will continue be to DVD like LaserDisc was to VHS, especially if the format war keeps up.

Honestly, I see DVD being the major format for a while.
Old 07-26-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I hate to say it, but I think that the hi-def formats will continue be to DVD like LaserDisc was to VHS, especially if the format war keeps up.
I agree with you that DVD will be the major format for a while, but I disagree with your assessment of the high-def disc formats. HD DVD and Blu-Ray already have way more traction than LaserDisc ever did.
Old 07-26-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
When HD DVDs sell for $5 at your local WalMart, then SD DVD will be in cardiac arrest.
Old 07-26-07, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
But unlike the formats before DVD (mainly VHS), when you upgrade to hi-def, you can still play your SD ones... And I think that's why hi-def will be around since it's easy to convert to without giving up the majority of one's collection. When I do, I'll just upgrade the movies that deserve to be watched in HD.
Old 07-26-07, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
12-21-2012
Old 07-26-07, 02:31 AM

DVD will be gone when movie studios make a conscious effort NOT to release a new movie on DVD, and I don't see that as happening for years to come. Before that happens, the studios will have to agree on one format, prices for the players will have to come down under $100 and a significant amount of in demand catalogue titles will need to be released in that format.

The fact is that for most people, DVD will look pretty close in quality to high definition on smaller sets, and even people with big screens will be able to get near HD quality with upgraded DVD players that are now going for about $70 or so. So, for the vast majority of people there's no reason to upgrade. Plus, people remember being burned or hear stories about people getting burned in the VHS/Betamax fiasco and don't want to risk getting in the middle of it.
Old 07-26-07, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
When HD DVDs sell for $5 at your local WalMart, then SD DVD will be in cardiac arrest.
I would love to see them for $5 but yeah I doubt DVD will go away anytime soon
Old 07-26-07, 02:37 AM

As long as people want to buy DVD blank discs people will make them.
Old 07-26-07, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When will DVD be dead? When memory becomes cheap enough. Spinning discs are archaic. The fact that your DVD spins like an old lp is kind of a laughable notion. Moving parts are old and busted - the new hotness: movies on a chip. And no, they won't come with an insert.

However, like it or not, the ultimate successor will be playable content that resides on a faraway server.
Old 07-26-07, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The day Shark Attack III: Megalodon is released on HD-DVD and BluRay, DVD will be dead.
Old 07-26-07, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts
Each change in recorded music has involved an improvement in convenience but not always an improvement in sound. Wax cylinder > shellac disk > 33 rpm vinyl disk > dolby cassette > CD > MP3. Changes that were just an improvement in quality, like quadrophonic sound, generally seem to have failed.

The studios are pushing hard for people to replace their standard DVD collections with all-new Hi-Def collections, but I don't see that happening any time soon. The only improvement is in the picture quality. The buying public is happy with what they have.
Old 07-26-07, 06:10 AM

It already is dead....

Time to move along now....
Old 07-26-07, 06:10 AM

And the quality improvement is so minor that the buying public will be happy with what they have for a long time.

Both new formats will fail because the improvement is just not enough to make people replace their equipment and their DVD collection.

However, like it or not, the ultimate successor will be playable content that resides on a faraway server.
And that future is not that far away - that's why you could just flush your money down the toilet instead of investing it in Blu-Ray or HD-DVD discs.
Old 07-26-07, 06:12 AM
Cool New Member

For the majority of people,(myself included), the leap from dvd to HD is not a major leap in technology like the leap from VHS to dvd was. I was an early adopter of dvd, which was a big gamble for me, as I had built a large laserdisc collection over quite a small period of time. I was quite proud of a lot of my discs, the Face/Off laserdisc was gorgeous,(and I still consider it to be better than the terrible dvd release), THX and everything.

I'd reached the end of my rope as far as VHS was concerned, I was sick of buying new titles that had a line through the picture first time, or was just recorded onto low quality stock tape. I was also finding the cost of laserdiscs hitting the old pocket hard. Dvd was a blessing and from buying my first player in 1998 and I haven't looked back.

If I finally get around to buying an HD screen, I may venture into the realms of HD, but I honestly can't be bothered at the minute. I can't be bothered buying an HD player and sure as hell can't be bothered buying an upscaling dvd player, simply because all my SD discs will look like crap on a new technology,(well thought out, that one). I also don't like the fact that alot of HD and BD discs simply don't have the extras present on the SD release, and you just know that you'll have to double-dip in the future.

Ultimately I think dvd will be around for a while yet with HD as an enthusiast's format,(much like LD). Lets face it, most people buying a PS3 don't even know what the hell BD is, let alone the fact that the PS3 plays them. Seriously. Ask any group of PS3 owners and I guarantee that 9 out of 10 won't know what the hell you're talking about. Then we have the other group that think that you can play HD/BD discs on their normal dvd players. It's not entirely their fault. They haven't been educated to these new formats being ushered in. "Oh My God!! I need a new TV!!"

Relax, people. Just relax...

Last edited by rebel-scum78; 07-26-07 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-26-07, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I already own about 400 SD DVDs. I'm certainly not replacing them all. So for me, never probably.
Old 07-26-07, 06:25 AM

Not anytime soon I hope. It took me long enough to replace my VHS with DVDs and I am not going to replace my DVDs anytime soon. HD-DVD is great and everything but its not for me at the moment. I am more than happy with DVDs.
Old 07-26-07, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Not for a very, very long time.

As long as I have a working player, it will never be dead for me.
Old 07-26-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
I already own about 400 SD DVDs. I'm certainly not replacing them all. So for me, never probably.
I hear you on that one. I have 535 SD DVDs and there ain't no way in hell I can ever afford to replace all those!
Old 07-26-07, 07:02 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
When the cat in Rhode Island says so...
Old 07-26-07, 07:16 AM

Not for a very, very long time... I hope.

I have so many DVDs that I sure as hell won't have the money to re-buy them all in HD. Alot of the titles in SD DVD most likely will never see the light of day on HD DVD/Blu-Ray. I collect alot of TV ON DVD titles & currently the only shows being released on HD DVD/Blu-Ray that I can think of off the top of my head are The Sopranos & Smallville, 2 shows I could give a shit about. Hell I don't even have an HDTV yet & don't plan on getting on in the near future because I spend the majority of my money on DVDs.

DVDs from VHS were a huge upgrade but SD DVDs to HD DVDs/Blu-Ray isn't as big. I don't think the major public isn't going to be shelling out big bucks for these new formats & I'm happy they arn't. The studios just want your money, plain & simple.

Add to the fact the the cases for the HD DVDs/Blu-Ray look horrible doesn't help either.

I'm sticking with DVDs because I collect so many TOD titles & the content currently available for the 2 new formats isn't nearly enough to warrant a puchase. Until their is a true new format (probally without discs) I won't be buying into all this hoop-laa.
Old 07-26-07, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I have so many DVDs that I sure as hell won't have the money to re-buy them all in HD.
Who says you have to, though? Both HD DVD and Blu-ray decks will play all of your DVDs.

I don't see either format ever replacing DVD, but upgrading doesn't mean you have to junk all of the DVDs you've picked up so far.
Old 07-26-07, 08:21 AM

DVDs will never be dead, or at least not for a while.

When DVD replaced VHS, you couldn't play vhs in a dvd player.

You can play DVDs in an HD player.

HD Technology will get much cheaper and when you go to buy your next player, and the DVD player is $100 but a BluRay player is $150, you'll say what the heck on buy BluRay.

HD Media will get cheaper as well.

Eventually when the price difference are slim, HD media/hardware will replace for your new purchases but you will still have your SDDVDs to play in your new hardware.
Old 07-26-07, 08:59 AM

Not for a long time. At least not until they stop releasing HD and Blu-Ray in those crappy cases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.