DVD Autograph question

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Autograph question

Old 07-24-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
DVD Autograph question

I'm headed to San Diego tomorrow and I'm picking out a few DVDs to get signed. George Romero will be signing, and I want my Dawn of the Dead 4 disc autographed for sure (I also plan to take it to Ken Foree)

Mike Nelson from MST3k is doing a few signings, and I was thinking I would take my Legends Night of the Living Dead disc to be signed by him. Do you think Romero would object to signing this as well? I'm not sure if the public domain status of the film is a touchy one for Romero or not. I just like the idea of having two favorites sign the same DVD.
Old 07-24-07, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In all the interviews Romero looks like a very nice and kind person, I think he'd be glad to meet someone who appreciates his work and to sign the DVD.
Old 07-24-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get Romero to sign it first, then get Mike Nelson to make fun of Romero's signature.
Old 07-24-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
When is Romero signing? I didn't see anything other than his panel.
Old 07-24-07, 08:00 PM

I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem signing it - in past experience with Comic Con though, you won't always be able to get everything signed (I've had some people (such as Rosario Dawson) go all out and sign 5-6 things whereas others will only sign a single item provided by them (such as a poster - I recall Halle Berry not signing anything during her 'autograph session', instead just providing a pre-signed 8x10 to everybody) Others will sign their own item (such as a poster they're providing) and maybe one of your own). I didn't know Romero would be signing this year but I'm thinking signing multiple items might be out of the question. If it's a shorter session (some of them can be 45 mins - 1 hour) for a guest like that, you may be out of luck.

Ken Foree, however, usually has little to no line (whenever I've walked by) and is willing to sign as much as you'd like (for $10 a piece).

The "Per Item" autograph prices can rack up pretty quickly (especially if you take your DVD to several people) but I personally do prefer this as you deal with much shorter lines (sometimes the difference between "a few hours" and "a few minutes") and are more likely to get everything you have signed.

Most of the bigger/current actors do free signings.

Last edited by SPIDERone; 07-24-07 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-24-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Comic Con requires that people sign at least one item for free.

Romero is signing at the Avatar Comics booth, here's the schedule. I left off Wednesday, but it's just Warren Ellis:

FRIDAY
10 to 12:30 - Warren Ellis
10:30 to 6 - George A Romero
2 to 6 - Robert Englund
6 to 7 - William Christensen accepts submissions
SATURDAY
10:30 to 1:30 - Warren Ellis
2 to 5 - Christopher Judge, Michael Shanks, Gary Jones
5:30 to 7 - Warren Ellis
SUNDAY
10:00 to 12:30 - Warren Ellis
11:00 to 4 - George A Romero
2 to 4 - Warren Ellis
Old 07-24-07, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

Romero is signing at the Avatar Comics booth, here's the schedule. I left off Wednesday, but it's just Warren Ellis:

FRIDAY
10 to 12:30 - Warren Ellis
2 to 6 - Robert Englund
6 to 7 - William Christensen accepts submissions
SATURDAY
10:30 to 1:30 - Warren Ellis
2 to 5 - Christopher Judge, Michael Shanks, Gary Jones
5:30 to 7 - Warren Ellis
SUNDAY
10:00 to 12:30 - Warren Ellis
11:00 to 4 - George A Romero
2 to 4 - Warren Ellis

Thanks for the list - seems George will be there for quite a few hours which is very nice! Happen to know which booth/autograph table he's at?

Also, as far as the free autograph goes, I believe they're required to sign the Comic Con show program but that's it.

EDIT: Completely missed the booth from your posting - thanks again. I'll need to stop by there!
Old 07-24-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for posting his schedule. Awesome.... now to pick out some DVD covers to bring.
Old 07-24-07, 11:26 PM

I met Romero pretty recently, was a great guy and very good about signing multiple items even some that had little to do with him. Overall a great guy but I'm sure you're already planning on a huge line for him, it will be there.
Old 07-25-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I'm so jealous of all of you who are going to SDCC this year

On top of Romero, I would love to meet/get autographs from Kane Hodder, Tura Satana, Ken Foree, and the countless other guests who will be there.
Old 07-25-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're not that far. Plane tickets are fairly cheap from the Bay Area. Just save up and make it happen
Old 07-25-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
man i wish all cons were like this, if true, thats awesome, even if its just for the program only.
Old 07-25-07, 12:06 PM

I met Romero at a 24hr. horror marathon in Columbus a few years ago and he was very friendly and generous with his time and signing autographs. They had a 3 item limit but I think the organizers decided that moreso than Romero. I wound up getting the NOTLD disc and package artwork signed, as well as Day of...
Old 07-27-07, 09:15 PM

Just to give an update to this one -

Romero is signing as much as you want and seems to be signing whatever you want.

There is a catch, however. You have to buy the booths comic ($5) which acts as your 'ticket' - after that each autograph is $20. On the bright side, this absolutely eliminated the line - I literally walked up and got an autograph as well as had a chance to talk to him for a few minutes. He's very nice and personalizes the autograph (your name, a quote or comment and his signature). I greatly prefer this as you don't waste your entire day in line (I've done the 4 hour wait for a celebrity in the past and that takes up half your day (average conventions being open 8 hours at a time). It also allows you to get as many items as you'd like signed without feeling awkward handing the celebrity 10 different items and having them return 8 of them to you.

Rosario Dawson's autograph went up to $10 per item this year (probably after so many people brought her movie merchandise to sign and didn't pay attention to the comic).

I love the way that Weinstein set up their autograph signings - they hand you a "fast pass" any time during the day which allows you to come back at a specific time and go straight to the front.

Last edited by SPIDERone; 07-28-07 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-27-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. My ticket for George is Sunday at 1.
Old 07-27-07, 11:25 PM

Perhaps a dumb question, but when people have someone autograph a DVD, which is the most common: to have them sign the DVD, the cover art (removed from the keepcase), or perhaps even the insert (if there is one)? I’m assuming no one has the plastic keepcase autographed.
Old 07-27-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most common is to remove the cover and have them sigh that. I've had people sign the actual DVD but never the insert.
Old 07-27-07, 11:52 PM

Speaking for myself here, I always have them sign the cover art - it's just what has always seemed "right" for me. I have about 100 signed DVDs from people I met and just prefer it. Some will sign the actual disc (which I don't like personally).

I have had the plastic keepcase autographed in the past - usually if I'm at an autograph signing but the movie their in isn't out yet (for example, a few people from Grindhouse were signing this weekend) I'll have them sign a good-condition case and wrap it in a DVD wrap (plastic baggy type product that protects the dvd case).

If you just want an autographed item (possibly to frame or keep in a book), the dvd insert will probably be the best way to go.