Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Toshiba HD-A2 player < $200 shipped!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toshiba HD-A2 player < $200 shipped!

I know there is a separate forum for HD-DVD but I figured this forum gets more traffic and is below the price point for many people (including myself).

There is a sale going on at valueectronics.com on HD-DVD players. I have never ordered from this site but I hear it is reputable.

http://www.valueelectronics.com/htf.htm

Don't forget the rebate for 5 free HD-DVDs
http://www.valueelectronics.com/imag...lineRebate.pdf

Here is the original post from HTF.

OK ladies and gents. The sale is on. Let me know what you think. However, please do not post the prices as in many cases they are truly below net cost and I do not want to cause any trouble with other dealers.

The sale is very strictly limited to HTF members and I would like to have your user name in the comments section.

I only have 200 HD-A2 at this crazy price so it's a first come first served and a no more than 2 players per member. No dealers please!

This is a courtesy to HTF and its fine membership, the sale ends on 7/31 or till supplies run out. It's OK to post on other forums, but anyone taking advantage must first join HTF to get these privileged deals.

Enjoy shopping.

-Robert
Old 07-24-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by towbinaj

Here is the original post from HTF.

OK ladies and gents. The sale is on. Let me know what you think. However, please do not post the prices as in many cases they are truly below net cost and I do not want to cause any trouble with other dealers.

The sale is very strictly limited to HTF members and I would like to have your user name in the comments section.

I only have 200 HD-A2 at this crazy price so it's a first come first served and a no more than 2 players per member. No dealers please!

This is a courtesy to HTF and its fine membership, the sale ends on 7/31 or till supplies run out. It's OK to post on other forums, but anyone taking advantage must first join HTF to get these privileged deals.

Enjoy shopping.

-Robert
Um, what is HTF???????????

EDIT: Home Theater Forum. I figured it out...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 07-24-07 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 08:12 AM

home theater forum?
Old 07-24-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bearkiss
home theater forum?
Yep, thanks. To me, I immediately think "Hard to find" cuz I'm a collector...
Old 07-24-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
1) HTF = Home Theater Forum
2) Value Electronics is the best in the business
3) This was not supposed to be broadcast like this. Robert specifically asks in his e-mail. The reason for not doing so is so deals like this can continue on future hardware.
Old 07-24-07, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
3) This was not supposed to be broadcast like this. Robert specifically asks in his e-mail. The reason for not doing so is so deals like this can continue on future hardware.
In the quoted post from HTF Robert says "It's OK to post on other forums, but anyone taking advantage must first join HTF to get these privileged deals."

Granted I don't have the original email, but if he said it's OK to post on other forums, I don't see the problem posting it here. It sucks for those who are HTF members if they don't get in on it due to the posting of elsewhere, but it's kind of hard to limit it to one forum when it's posted on a site as big as HTF.
Old 07-24-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The deal is actually late getting here. It's been all over FW and SD since yesterday.
Old 07-24-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Bird Boy
In the quoted post from HTF Robert says "It's OK to post on other forums, but anyone taking advantage must first join HTF to get these privileged deals."

Granted I don't have the original email, but if he said it's OK to post on other forums, I don't see the problem posting it here. It sucks for those who are HTF members if they don't get in on it due to the posting of elsewhere, but it's kind of hard to limit it to one forum when it's posted on a site as big as HTF.
You are right I missed that, my fault entirely. The last few deals he's done were AVS internal, I guess I wrongly assumed this one was meant the same way.
Old 07-24-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, Circuit City has it for $238.88 right now. They recently sent out $25 coupons in the mail (off of $199+), so if you got one of those, it is $213.88. Save another 2% with e bates... I already ordered from Value Electronics this morning, but I just thought I'd point this out for anyone who would rather purchase from a local store...

You'd have to pay tax, but you could do in-store pickup and have it sooner.

Last edited by kenbenobi; 07-24-07 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up another HD-DVD player to go along with my HD-A1. I think I'm still going to keep the A1 in the living room, since I'm using it with the analog outs, but I am looking forward to HD goodness in the bedroom. It will probably be used just as much for the upconverting, but I just couldn't resist for $230 (w/ warranty) and 5 HD-DVDs.

Does anyone have any experience with the warranties from Value? $30 bucks seems worth it, and the nice lady on the phone said that they try to go through authorized dealers for repairs locally first before shipping it for service. Anybody ever need to use the warranty from them yet?
Old 07-24-07, 01:15 PM

If you want to go the circuit city rout, there is a $40 off $199 coupon floating around. You can find them on ebay. The deal at value electronics has no tax or shipping so for most people will be a few dollars cheaper.

here is the link at circuit city
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshi...oductDetail.do
Old 07-24-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I posted this in the HD forum so you won't have to.
Old 07-24-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I am looking forward to HD goodness in the bedroom.
Ahh, the words of a married man!
Old 07-24-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really a great deal.

I know it is weird, but anyone know if this thing as disc memory? I searched around and couldn't find anything. I watch lots of TV series on my player and don't like having to remember which episode I was on...............
Old 07-24-07, 09:21 PM

I bought my original DirecTV equipment from Robert - class act and very helpful/knowledgable.
Old 07-24-07, 11:00 PM

If those 5 freebies were really gangbusters i think i would have succumbed. There is maybe 2 titles i would like (apollo13 and casablanca) and thats about it. Really weak list. I just wish one format would die. At this point i dont even care who wins even if its hated sony. I want high def, but im just not jumping until its obvious. First gen disks are not that great anyway, so in the long run ill win, but damn my 61" TV begs me to step up to the plate.
Old 07-25-07, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by jkzahn
Really a great deal.

I know it is weird, but anyone know if this thing as disc memory? I searched around and couldn't find anything. I watch lots of TV series on my player and don't like having to remember which episode I was on...............
All HD-DVD titles should have a 'Bookmarks' feature where a press of a button will save the exact spot you left off. I know all WB HDs have this feature...
Old 07-25-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by smackattack
If those 5 freebies were really gangbusters i think i would have succumbed. There is maybe 2 titles i would like (apollo13 and casablanca) and thats about it. Really weak list. I just wish one format would die. At this point i dont even care who wins even if its hated sony. I want high def, but im just not jumping until its obvious. First gen disks are not that great anyway, so in the long run ill win, but damn my 61" TV begs me to step up to the plate.
I'm with you. I was itching for a PS3 last week after the price "re-structuring" but a cooler head prevailed. For one, I want one format. Another thing is the "suckage" factor of early releases. I was in pretty early on DVD and the majority of releases sucked balls. Double-dipping sucks.
Old 07-25-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smackattack
This is exactly what I'm going through as well, except my TV is only 51".

I'm holding on to hope that HD-DVD wins, only because I take great pleasure when Sony fails. And no, I'm not really anti-Sony (my 51" HDTV is a Sony), but for some reason I just enjoy seeing them fall on their faces.
Old 07-25-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's plenty of great titles to choose from, from both sides. The HD titles we've gotten so far are a helluva lot better than what dvd offered during its first year+ of existence.
Old 07-25-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
There's plenty of great titles to choose from, from both sides. The HD titles we've gotten so far are a helluva lot better than what dvd offered during its first year+ of existence.
But factoring the 5 free HD-DVDs as savings off the cost of the player is inaccurate, because they aren't titles I would have bought.
Old 07-25-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Ahh, the words of a married man!
Absolutely. I'm slowing converting her, one day at a time. I think I've finally gotten her to the point where she will actually attempt to explain to her friends why HD cable is so much better than standard cable. With the HD-DVD in the bedroom, I might be able to complete the process.
Old 07-25-07, 10:43 AM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by bralph
But factoring the 5 free HD-DVDs as savings off the cost of the player is inaccurate, because they aren't titles I would have bought.
You could easily get $10-$15 for each disc on eBay or here in the Exchange forum. That would be like getting a $50-$75 rebate.
Old 07-25-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deal is now dead!