TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Love "Good Guys and Bad Guys" 7/23/07

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Big Love "Good Guys and Bad Guys" 7/23/07

Spoiler:
Margene's dysfunctional past is illuminated when her mother Ginger pays a visit to the Henricksons. After the truth about her marriage is revealed, Margene is shocked when Ginger turns her back on her--and embraces Nicki instead.

Well, I guess that's kinda a spoiler up there in the photo. Screw it; glad he's back. This season has really been impressing me. I'm looking forward to what's next (but I'll miss Ana).
Old 07-23-07, 08:08 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't have quite the weird factor John from Cincy has, but this is the best drama on HBO right now. Love every episode. Can't wait to see what happens between Hollis and Roman.
Old 07-23-07, 08:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Will be tough to top last week's episode...glad to see the return of Frank though.
Old 07-23-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this show. With no Wire, Sopranos or Office, this is the only show I'm watching on TV. I can't wait til tonight.
Old 07-23-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mmmmm....Margene.
Old 07-23-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I didn't realize Margene's mom was Bonnie Bedelia until the closing credits.

Doesn't have quite the weird factor John from Cincy has
Thank goodness, otherwise I wouldn't watch it. Anyway, another great episode.
Old 07-23-07, 10:12 PM

This week's ep was a little slow, but DAMN! I can't wait until next week!!!
Old 07-24-07, 08:05 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by grem458
This week's ep was a little slow, but DAMN! I can't wait until next week!!!
Yeah, HBO doesn't usually hype up shows like that, so hopefully it's a big one.
Old 07-24-07, 08:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
With Hollis Green in the picture, the promo's for this show seem to emulate the old Sopranos promo's.

Another solid episode last night.
Old 07-24-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That promo was horrible. It felt like I was watching NBC, "It's a powerful episode you cannot miss, with an ending...YOU...WON'T...BELIEVE!"
Old 07-24-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
That promo was horrible. It felt like I was watching NBC, "It's a powerful episode you cannot miss, with an ending...YOU...WON'T...BELIEVE!"
True that....but HBO never really does that so it will be interesting to see if it lives up to the hype.
Old 07-24-07, 12:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't watch promos, but I hope it had a quick montage of characters and stated "ONE OF THESE PEOPLE...WILL DIE!" (cue dramatic music cue)
Old 07-24-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well since there are only 5 episodes left, something's gotta be in the making. No Ben in this episode.
Old 07-24-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Good episode.

"Margy... just... shape up!"

I love how purposely blah some of the sets look on this show. Roman's and Hollis Green's offices are so dark out-of-date, you wonder if they have any money at all. Lois' home on the compound is pretty ugly as well. And all these people are in desperate need of tans and decent haircuts. It really gives a nice contrast between the way of living on the compound and how Bill's living.

It was nice to see Bill take care of Alby. I was always under the impression that Alby was tough, but with Bill opening a can of whoop-ass on him - I'm thinking not so much.

It was great to see Margene get a little nasty, even if we don't get to see her ta-ta's.
Old 07-24-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Who is Hollis Green? Have we heard that name before last week?
Old 07-25-07, 12:16 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
n HBO's first major programming move since it changed regimes, the pay net has renewed "Big Love" for a third season.
Net has picked up 12 episodes of the show, in which Bill Paxton and Chloe Sevigny star as members of a polygamous family in Utah. Writing is set to begin next month; lensing is skedded for November.

The renewal, which comes earlier than expected, will ensure the season is completed and ready to air by the time a possible labor stoppage shuts down production in June.

"Love" has seen a dropoff in viewers since it launched in the Sunday night timeslot following "The Sopranos," when it averaged 4 million viewers in its initial airing. The Monday move has brought initial broadcast numbers of around two million.

But HBO says the network values its original series based on total viewers from six weekly airings, as well as estimates from DVRs and video on demand that indicate the show has a strong following, and a potential weekly viewership around 6 million. "Big Love" also has become the network's second-highest-rated recent original series among women, behind "The Sopranos."

The net had originally scheduled "Big Love" for an 8 p.m. Sunday slot leading in to "John From Cincinnati," but switched the series to Monday night before the season started.

However, HBO will bring the show back to Sunday nights, at least temporarily, when "John From Cincinnati" completes its first season.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1
Old 07-25-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral

I love how purposely blah some of the sets look on this show. Roman's and Hollis Green's offices are so dark out-of-date, you wonder if they have any money at all. Lois' home on the compound is pretty ugly as well. And all these people are in desperate need of tans and decent haircuts. It really gives a nice contrast between the way of living on the compound and how Bill's living.
And then Frank mentions that the UEB is worth 200 million.
Old 07-25-07, 10:52 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I like the alby is back in the compound behind his dad, all bruised up!
Old 07-25-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
And then Frank mentions that the UEB is worth 200 million.
Exactly. They don't seem to have much to show for the UEB being worth 200m... unless they got royally ripped off on that hummer. I love that they show the business side of the religion and how important it is to them.

BTW, I remember Frank last season being a bit of a nutcase (peeing in the sink anyone?) and used for comedic affect. There seems to be a much darker side to him now (maybe Im not remembering S1 that well). His grabbing Lois and threatening violence on her I wasn't expecting, and Lois' comment to Barb: "You think Frank's some harmless blowhard, don't you? You're wrong".

In any case it looks like we're beginning to see the under-belly of these characters and their situation. And we still haven't found out about the mysterious death of Bill's sister.
Old 07-26-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think the show is best when its the 3 wives discussing the day to day in their lives (especially Nikki and Margene), but the UEB and Compound stuff is really getting interesting, add the Greene's to the mix and this is definitely the best TV around right now and its a shame that it doesnt get more viewers.
Old 07-26-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coral
Exactly. They don't seem to have much to show for the UEB being worth 200m... unless they got royally ripped off on that hummer. I love that they show the business side of the religion and how important it is to them.

BTW, I remember Frank last season being a bit of a nutcase (peeing in the sink anyone?) and used for comedic affect. There seems to be a much darker side to him now (maybe Im not remembering S1 that well). His grabbing Lois and threatening violence on her I wasn't expecting, and Lois' comment to Barb: "You think Frank's some harmless blowhard, don't you? You're wrong".

In any case it looks like we're beginning to see the under-belly of these characters and their situation. And we still haven't found out about the mysterious death of Bill's sister.
Yeah frank's character is getting very interesting, i knew he wasn't all there but being an abusive dickhole is new. I'm still loving the new direction that they are taking Margene, i loved the little look she gave her mom when gave her the speech about her having the power.