Reload this Page >

[BOOK TALK] Mario Bava - All the Colors of the Dark, by author Tim Lucas

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 07-21-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering that this thread is in regard to a book, I hope still that the moderators are so kind as to permit this discussion to remain in this International DVD forum (at least for the time being). Though admittedly off-topic, from my perspective this topic is not entirely irrelevant to this area of the forum. Also, I’d like to assure everyone here that I do not know either Tim or Donna Lucas, I’ve never even corresponded with them in any manner, I don't currently post at any message boards where they might participate, and heck I haven’t even ordered the book yet myself (though I’m now intrigued by the idea).

With that out of the way, is anyone interested in the forthcoming release of the book MARIO BAVA – ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK by Tim & Donna Lucas? I know there have been writings devoted to Italian director/writer/cinematographer Bava before, most notably the book “The Haunted World of Mario Bava” by author Troy Howarth. That being said, this latest entry seems like a massive effort, and based on what I’ve read Tim and Donna Lucas have been working on this for many, many, many years (and have taken some heat for it being long-delayed to customers who had pre-ordered it literally years ago). While I understand the great frustration of those who had wished for it sooner, I can understand that this was a dream project for Tim and Donna, and that they strove for perfection and wanted to deliver the ultimate work in regard to Mario Bava.

Candidly, I don’t even consider myself a fan in particular of Director Bava. I’ve certainly seen some of his films and enjoyed them but I don’t label myself as a devotee. Still, for whatever reason, I am interested in this book. I’ll link below to Tim’s site for further information. For those who do click over there, there is a really nice 11+ minute video of Tim and Donna examining early proofs of their huge book. Maybe I’m a sentimental sap, but watching how joyful they are in the video sort of made me feel good and it was nice to witness the successful culmination of someone’s dreams. Director Martin Scorsese even wrote an introduction to the book. Judging by the monstrous - and I do not exaggerate when I use that term - size of the book, it certainly seems an impressive effort.

Full details can be found at the site (which I will provide below). The book is scheduled (at least as of right now, dependent upon them receiving the shipment on time), to release on August 21st. U.S. customers can order it now for $130 (shipping included), International customers require $160 (shipping included). After August 21st, the price jumps significantly to $260 and $290 respectively.

The link for all you need to know is as follows:
bavabook.blogspot.com

Scroll down a bit to the entry dated & titled "Friday, June 29, 2007...It Exists!" to watch the aforementioned video.
Old 07-21-07, 03:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by flixtime
Considering that this thread is in regard to a book, I hope still that the moderators are so kind as to permit this discussion to remain in this International DVD forum (at least for the time being).
It happens that there has been a thread on this oft-promised [and yet to be delivered] tome in Book Talk for four years.

Artwork and more info on new Mario Bava book

I will move this one across in a few days.
Old 07-22-07, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was interested in it... then i saw it's size. daunting, to say the least. it looks a little like a reference material made for tim lucas to peruse himself, cos i'm sure there are few fans as willing and able to digest all that stuff on one person besides the man himself...
Old 07-22-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Much as I'd love to get the book, the price is just too high for me. I admire Tim for putting this book together and am a big fan of his writing and his monthly magazine Video Watchdog. I'd like to be as convinced as Tim is of the genius of Bava, but for me he falls more into the "interesting" category.
Old 08-05-07, 10:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

For those that don't read International DVDTalk, I've no wmoved across a thread from couple of weeks ago that relates to a publication discussed here in the past as per the link in my earlier post.
Old 08-22-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by benedict
It happens that there has been a thread on this oft-promised [and yet to be delivered] tome in Book Talk for four years.

.....and I’ve had it ordered since 2001. That’s ordered and paid for.

Yesterday was ship day but seemingly nothing happened. Colour me shocked.
Old 08-24-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now that Tim Lucas has updated his blog and the books likely started going out today, maybe take the tiniest bit of solace jonathan.e in that you'll be getting your copy a couple weeks before me; I only caved in to ordering this past weekend so I'm last in line. Seeing his blog update and pics of the books being delivered today has gotten me very eager to check it out.

I don't suppose anyone around here was one of the folks who bid on Lucas' eBay auction for the book & special package? The bids topped out at $550 (including shipping)....so the $130 I dropped kind of seems (as I continually try to convince myself) not so much anymore (especially considering the price bump now to $260).
Old 08-29-07, 06:31 AM

Received notice from USPS with a tracking number that my package had been slated for pick-up to be delivered. I pre-ordered a book, and also won #8/10 of the auction book package. I paid a little extra to have them shipped together. I have been looking forward to this book for years, and all the extras they were throwing in with the eBay auction was to tempting too pass. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week.

Last edited by Hank1215; 08-29-07 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-29-07, 10:48 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Looks like such a beautiful book...$260 is pretty steep though.
Old 08-30-07, 05:17 PM

My books came in the mail today, and all I can say is.....WOW! Absolutely incredible! It is more a work of art than just a book. When I went to pick them up at the post office, the postal clerk was a young Asian lady, maybe 4'11" and 90lbs if wet. She went back to get the package, then came back up front and got a larger male clerk to go get the box! It had to be close to half her body weight. Do not leave this book on a tall table because if it fell on a child, it would be negligent homicide...it really is that big. With the eBay auction I also received a copy of the book on CD, which on a laptop will make it much easier to take on trips to read, instead of worrying about lugging the book along. It will probably 2009, or 2010 before I am done reading it, so if someone is a speed reader, they will have to give a comprehensive review. From what I have seen so far, I would get your order in before they are all gone!

Last edited by Hank1215; 08-30-07 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I paid $97 for this in 2003, and received it last week.

You know what? This book was worth the wait. Beautifully produced. I've only read about the first 50 pages so far.
Old 09-13-07, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received my copy last night. I had been eager for it to arrive moreso after reading about others having received their copies and seeing all the pictures posted around various blogs and forums. I'd watched with disappointment the last couple of days as the mailman drove away without a visit to my door in order to drop off the large package.

I was actually having dinner last night and in a bit of coincidence was discussing the book with my family when the doorbell rang. And what do you know....after expecting it via the USPS, it actually came via FedEx (umm..and just in case that the "coincidental" dinner conversation/book arrival was not simply coincidence but instead some sort of "Heroes" newly discovered superpower I intend to make Monica Bellucci the discussion topic at dinner tonight). Anyway, back to reality, so a family member brought the package in as I proceeded to hurry through supper. I think my family was even happier than me that the book arrived since I think I might have been driving them a little batty by talking about it so much the last couple of weeks. So after dinner, with my family seated and observing the opening, I happily opened the package.

The Lucas' did a real nice job with packaging so that it would arrive in mint condition....an outer box, inside of which was some bubble wrap, inside of which was another box, inside of which was a final layer of bubble wrap. The book is gorgeous. And while I thought I was fully prepared for how big the book was going to be......well, it really is enormous...and very, very heavy. For the first time in my life I'm going to have to actually figure out some sort of technique to best read this massive effort.

I was also very pleased to look inside and see that in addition to Tim Lucas that Donna (as per my request at time of ordering) had also signed my copy. I only had chance to leaf through it for a little while last night but from what I saw and read, it is a job to be very proud of. It'll actually take me a little while to wire myself into not treating the book like some museum piece that should simply be gazed upon and not touched.

Also a real nice touch (on top of the Bava bookmark I received from them a couple of weeks ago) was that the Lucas' included a pre-paid postcard inside in the package encouraging one to write back (or via e-mail) and share your thoughts on the book. Aside: if the Red Sox get swept (again!) by the Yankees this coming weekend, the Lucas' postcard my instead function as my final suicide note before I strap the Bava book to my back, jump off the nearest bridge, and have their work drown me straight to the river's bottom (P.S. - thank you Big Papi for last night's walkoff homer!).
Old 10-18-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
We've got an interview with Tim right here at DVD Talk:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/interviews/index.html
Old 10-18-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, that’s a great interview. All the more impressive because of how it was done via email. Congrats on asking all the right questions.

The book is amazing btw. Few were more critical than me of the endless delays and constantly postponed publication dates but it’s hard to justify any of that now when something so ridiculously massive and comprehensive actually exists. I feel genuinely sorry for people who do not like Bava or who have/will never hear[d] of him as they will be depriving themselves of possibly the finest film book ever written.
Old 12-22-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BUMP

There will be a $100 discount offer on this book starting December 25th and running for a week through December 31st. That would put the book at a final price (including shipping) of $160 for U.S. customers and $190 for International customers.

This offer was also made during the week of December 4-10 but I only became aware of it now. Basically, they've had a handful of discount offers these past few weeks, and they will be having a special final week of the year where all the previous offers are again active.

In addition to being a nice book, you can also justify the purchase by tying it into your New Year's Resolution....provided that resolution is of the common "get-in-better-shape" variety...lugging the Bava book around will most definitely give you a quality workout...it is huge!
Old 10-25-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BUMP

The Mario Bava book is now available for purchase in a digital version...price is $29.99.

Also, Video Watchdog magazine is now available in a digital version...and...it's free! You can head over to videowatchdog.com where the entire current issue is available for your reading pleasure...and again...it's free!