Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 12" (7/18-19/07)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it'll be hard to top last Wed's dances. All of them minus the waltz were really fun to watch. I'm not ashamed to say that I have watched the whole episode four times already. Hope tonight is great too.
Old 07-18-07, 02:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate to admit this, but I kinda wish they would release DVD sets of this show, even if it's just the routines. This is one of my favorite 'talent competition reality shows' because the talent is genuine and isn't loaded with 'second rate wannabes' like the others are, even Idol for the most part. Maybe I just feel this way because I'm generally ignorant of dance, but to me even the worst dancers in the top 20 are pretty amazing in their own style.
Old 07-18-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD sets would be awesome but I think there would be issues about licensing the songs.
Old 07-18-07, 04:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

True, especially since they are using the actual recordings.
Old 07-18-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, after the last few shows, tonight's was a major comedown. I didn't even like Mia's routine. The only thing that stood out to me was how incredibly verbose Wade is. Well, that and how Dan's routines always, always suck. "Let's sit down the best dancer and let the worst do a solo! Brilliant!"

Wade was a good judge though, he seems to at least put some thought into it. I agree with Nigel though, I would rather have seen one of his routines... tonight more than ever.
Old 07-18-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sabra-Dominic - pretty good, they should be safe.
Jaimie-Hok - argh, why do they keep getting stuck with the bad dances? They might as well go now - Hok, definitely.
Sara-Pasha - not bad but a bit disappointed.
Lauren-Neil - I agree with what Nigel said - I didn't understand it either but they were great and deserve to be safe.
Anya-Danny - the best tonight, IMO. I'd be very upset if they both get cut this week but they SHOULD be safe.
Lacey-Kameron: I think the judge was right about Kameron being a bit too heavy but man, Lacey is sweet to look at.

OK. Hope I got all the names right!
Old 07-18-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sabra - Dominic-lots of energy...I really enjoyed it..Dominic continues to impress me. Sabra is a firecracker.
Jamie-Hok-this is a bottom 3 dance for me. Her extensions are flawless and her leaps gorgeous. Hok, however; has hit a wall for me.
Sara-Pasha-LOVED it. Loved how Pasha moves, and I really enjoyed that dance.
Lauren-Neil- want them in the bottom 3 so Lauren can go home. Neil continues to outdance her. She couldnt keep up with him and thats why they were out of sync.
Anya-Danny- He is a work of art. She is good at what she does, but I think Mary's love affair with her is unfounded.
Lacy-Kameron- Another bottom 3 dance for me. I think Dan sat Lacy so he could call Kameron out. Kameron has been riding her coattails for too long, and now we got to see it. Wade was right about Lacy--there is something so prepared in her performance. It's so on all the time its almost fake. They needed to be humbled, and they deserve to dance for their lives. Lacy will be safe. Not so sure about kameron.
Old 07-19-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Sabra/Dominic - top-notch again, it will be sad to seem them no longer be a couple
2. Anya/Danny – you can tell Danny was trying more this time, which I can appreaciate.
3. Sara/Pasha - a lot of great energy, the overall routine did not wow me, but given tonight was pretty bad overall, they should be safe
4. Lacey/Kameron – I love me some Lacey, but Kameron is getting outclassed on every dance they do
5. Lauren/Neil – the Mia routine, in terms of style, that I liked the best, but neither dancer seemed very strong, especially Lauren
6. Jaimie/Hok – Jamie is good, but not spectacular and Hok has clearly reached his limitations

I would say Hok is gone for sure and the girls will come down to Lauren and Jaimie with Lauren probably gone.

Last edited by Big Dave; 07-19-07 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lacey - There is just something really manic about her. I agree her enthusiasm is over the top - with her brother, it seemed genuine - she seems to be trying way too hard to be cute, funny, sexy, etc. Plus, as we found out, she has stanky hair!

Danny - He may be a great dancer, but I can't see him being "America's Favorite" dancer by a long shot - he just seems, for lack of a better term, to be a real "tool."

Kameron - I don't think Dan intentionally tried to "call him out" - but with that smirk that is always on his face, I wouldn't put it past him.

Lauren/Neil - never a big fan of Neil, and I used to like Lauren, but she has been steadily declining in my list of favorites.

Cat - at first, I didn't like her as the replacement for the original host - then, last season she really grew on me (I must admit, I am not a big fan of the british accent) to the point I really liked her. Now, she is on the downswing, she is just too excited.

At this point, and at the beginning of the season I never thought I'd say this - Sabra/Dominic are my favorite couple, and Sabra is my favorite dancer. She is genuine and fun to watch. Seems like a nice person with a natural talent.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Doug Heffernan; 07-19-07 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember in the top 20, I wanted Dominic gone but glad the judges kept him around. He have been improving every week.

I am expecting Lauren and Hok to be gone. I think the 2 of them have reached their limit.
Old 07-19-07, 10:33 AM

Who was the judge from season 1/2 who isn't here this season? Blonde, curly hair - I think his name was Brian?
Old 07-19-07, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
Who was the judge from season 1/2 who isn't here this season? Blonde, curly hair - I think his name was Brian?
Brian Friedman...Word has it he committed to the UK project of "Grease, You are the One that I Want".
Old 07-19-07, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Brian Friedman...Word has it he committed to the UK project of "Grease, You are the One that I Want".
Thanks, I liked him..
Old 07-19-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I voted for Anya/Danny, hopefully that will help them stay out of the bottom 3.

They really need to let Benji choregraph more dances.

I don't remember Dan 'calling' Kameron out.
Old 07-19-07, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger
Well, I voted for Anya/Danny, hopefully that will help them stay out of the bottom 3.

They really need to let Benji choregraph more dances.

I don't remember Dan 'calling' Kameron out.
No, he didnt specifically call him out, but when he sat Lacey down and had Kameron do his solo, to me that was a way of seeing what he could handle without Lacey. And he didnt handle it well.
Old 07-19-07, 11:16 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I wonder what's up with DialIdol's tally of SYTYCD. The past two weeks' predictions have been really extreme (95% of the calls for one couple). Weird.
Old 07-19-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, Benji really did a great job choreographing Sara and Pasha last week. They definitely need to let him do more. Maybe replace Dan (never liked his style of boy band hip-hop).

Lauren is really the only girl I can see getting eliminated at this point. Maybe Jamie since she has kinda gotten lost in the shuffle sometimes (but she is still a great dancer). I actually wouldn't mind seeing Anya go because her personality doesn't stand out like the other girls, but I don't think they'll be in the bottom 3 this week.

I like Hok but it does seem like his time to go. He is the weakest guy right now.
Old 07-19-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom
No, he didnt specifically call him out, but when he sat Lacey down and had Kameron do his solo, to me that was a way of seeing what he could handle without Lacey. And he didnt handle it well.
Oh, I misunderstood - Dan the choregrapher, not the dancer.

Last edited by Ranger; 07-19-07 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh. I can't believe Lacey/Kameron weren't in the bottom 3 and that Lauren/Neil and Anya/Danny were!

Really didn't want Jaimie to advance but at least Hok is done and don't think will be happy with her with Danny.

Sad about Anya but the judges only could save her so many times.
Old 07-19-07, 09:07 PM

Ugh. I can't believe Lacey/Kameron weren't in the bottom 3 and that Lauren/Neil and Anya/Danny were!

Really didn't want Jaimie to advance but at least Hok is done and don't think will be happy with her with Danny.

She might not be with Danny next week. They pick out of hats, and change every week.
Old 07-19-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bit surprised to see Anya/Danny in the bottom 3, but I can't imagine either had a ton of fans. I think Lauren had her best solo, while Anya was the same with just more energy.
Old 07-19-07, 09:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I think Kameron is in trouble next week once he has to fend for votes for himself. I think Lacey was carrying the voting in that duo.
Old 07-19-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There was no way Lacey/Kameron were going to be in the bottom. They had too much good will and hype built up for even a sorry Dan routine to tank them just yet. Thank goodness. He killed a couple I liked this time just last year.

The bottom 3 couples were just what I would've guessed. Everyone kept telling me Anya & Danny are good, but I just never got it. They never did a thing for me. I caught myself staring at the wall during his solo tonight actually.

I thought Anya was the right one to go. (Of course I have often thought she should've gone.) She and Danny get their mail in the bottom three, one of them had to go and I think she and her stripper routines were the weakest link. Thank goodness for Wade, as Mary's "I am not letting them go!" at the start had me worried they would both stay no matter how lame her solo was going to inevitably be.

I liked Hok and will miss him, but he really didn't grow as much as I expected so it's fair he went. I really loved his solo though. Sure it was all tricks, but you have a few second so...hit me with your best shot. It was a good exit.

Originally Posted by Shilex
Yeah, Benji really did a great job choreographing Sara and Pasha last week. They definitely need to let him do more. Maybe replace Dan (never liked his style of boy band hip-hop).
Big hell yes to that.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-19-07 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 11:59 PM

I feel ya. I was not impressed at all with lacey/kams dance. I thought is was the worst hip hop routine ive seen to date on sytycd. I was shocked that they were not in the bottom 3. Lacey is great but kam just does not stand out for me at all. I really liked sara and pashas routine tho, sara continues to suprise me week after week.

Last edited by mazzystar; 07-20-07 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-20-07, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
I hate to admit this, but I kinda wish they would release DVD sets of this show, even if it's just the routines. This is one of my favorite 'talent competition reality shows' because the talent is genuine and isn't loaded with 'second rate wannabes' like the others are, even Idol for the most part. Maybe I just feel this way because I'm generally ignorant of dance, but to me even the worst dancers in the top 20 are pretty amazing in their own style.
Late last season I realized I felt the same, so I started recording the shows and editing them down to just the choreography video and performances. I really like watching the dances!

The last few weeks I've been watching Kameron in the group routines, and he's surprisingly weak compared to the rest. His timing is occasionally a little off, and his line is often mediocre. He really lucked out getting a great partner in Lacey and a stunning first routine that made them an early fan favorite. I think if he had been in the bottom 3, his flaws would've again been really apparent in the solo, and he would've gone instead of Hok.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.