Old 07-18-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FNL: Spoilers for the Second Season -**Major Spoilers***

Don't read any further if you don't like spoilers

Article from the Chicago Tribune

riginally posted: July 18, 2007
Full hearts: Scoping out Season 2 of 'Friday Night Lights'

Kyle3_2 For those of you who have a lot of love for "Friday Night Lights" and don’t want to know a thing about what happens in the show’s upcoming second season, which starts Oct. 5, I have three words for you: Stop reading now.

Below are details about the upcoming season of the show from its executive producers and actors. I spoke to executive producers Jason Katims and Jeffrey Reiner, as well as a host of the show’s actors, on Tuesday after a “FNL” panel at the Television Critics Association press tour. Here’s what I was able to find out (and trust me, I’ll be writing lots more about “FNL” as its second season approaches):

Again with the spoiler alert. Stop reading if you don't want to know Season 2 plot details!

* When the second season begins, it’s eight months after the Season 1 finale and Tami Taylor (Connie Britton) is in labor. She gives birth to a baby girl, whom Tami and Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler) name Gracie.
* Through the first part of the season, Tami and Eric will have scenes together, but Tami is still in Dillon and Eric is in Austin as an assistant coach at TMU.

Both actors were fine with their characters enduring a separation due to the coach’s new job, Katims said. “Of all the actors, they didn’t ask me a single question about that,” he noted. Despite the distance between the couple, take heart, Tami and Eric fans, at what Kyle Chandler said: “I think there’s going to be a lot of different situations and reasons to bring him back into the fold.”

No matter what happens, the bond between those characters seems unbreakable, I observed. “Connie and I decided early on that’s got to be the thing – if that’s the case, you can go anywhere with it,” Chandler said. “You don’t have to worry about the scene where coach breaks up with Tami and goes and sleeps with someone. It’s not only a real relationship, the way real people are, I think, it’s also a good safety factor for us, [to know the characters won’t] get in these torrid affairs.”
* The new coach of the Dillon Panthers is from Tennessee, and his approach is, according to Katims, “my way or the highway.” He definitely does not want to live in the shadow of Coach Taylor, and the new coach’s attitude “rubs the players the wrong way,” according to Katims. The new coach also retools the offense to favor Smash, which fuels the antagonism between Saracen and Smash.
* Julie Taylor (Aimee Teegarden) is still going out with Saracen but starts flirting with a musician. “It causes friction and ultimately bigger problems in her relationship with Matt,” Katims said.
* The guy who tried to rape Tyra Colette (Adrianne Palicki) returns to town. “It’s eight months later, and Tyra feels like this guy is following her, and he is,” Palicki said. “The poor girl, she finally gets out of her rut of feeling like the town floozy, and she’s getting her bearings and she’s things going on and she’s got these great friends and then she’s thrown back into that world.”
* Something major on that front happens to draw Tyra and Landry even closer together. “We still get to play a lot of the fun of Landry kind of pining after Tyra, but [Plemons] also gets a lot of very, very dramatic material as well, which he really proved to us that he can handle.” Reiner seconded that and said that the return of Tyra’s attacker, Mike, “raises the dramatic stakes bigtime.”

As for Plemons, he says of Landry, “He’s still head over heels for her.”
* Jason Street (Scott Porter) is now a full-fledged assistant coach for the Panthers, and this job now leads him into some conflict with his former teammates, because he can’t really be both their friend and their coach. Street also gets back partial use of one hand, and starts to think that maybe he can recover even more from his devastating spinal injury.
* After a really rough year, Lyla Garrity (Minka Kelly) joins an evangelical church and gets baptized. The church is one that her family does not belong to, and that causes conflict with her family. “She’s been through so much. She’s seeking answers,” Katims said. “She just found this thing that makes a lot of sense to her and has given her some direction. She felt really lost and betrayed by her father and her family’s been torn asunder, and all this stuff.”
* A conflict arises between Smash Williams (Gaius Charles) and Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford), when people attribute the State win to Smash. “As lovely as he is, if Smash has an Achilles heel, it’s his ego,” Katims says. “So Smash runs with that rather than crediting Saracen and the rest of the team.” That conflict leads to an altercation between the during a game.
* The father of Landry (Jesse Plemons) is introduced on the show; he’s a former Dillon Panther football player who is a local cop.
* Landry tries out for the football team. I am not making this up. The attempt to get on the Panther team is an attempt “to try to seek some sort of approval from his father,” Plemons said. Does Landry have a chance of making the Panthers squad? I doubt it, but Katims would only say, “We’ll see. The thing about Landry is, he’s tenacious.”
* Brooke Langton’s character, the Riggins’ boys next-door neighbor Jackie, is still around in the first few episodes of the season, but she and Riggs are not together. “That whole relationship symbolized everything he wanted – security, predictability, responsibility,” says Kitsch, who plays Riggins.
* Buddy Garrity goes through “some really tragic things” with his marriage, according to Reiner.
* A nursing student from Guatemala named Carlotta begins caring for Saracen’s grandma, and Carlotta “winds up having a more than a professional relationship” with Matt. It’s not necessarily a physical thing, but “you start to see a connection between them,” Katims said.

“Saracen is the hardest worker in the world and he’s the sweetest guy, but suddenly his girlfriend’s flirting with this musician guy, Smash taking all the credit for everything that’s happened on the field and his mentor and surrogate dad, Coach Taylor, is gone. But he’s got Carlotta,” Katims said with a laugh.

“There’s one scene where I get thrown in a lake and the stage direction says, ‘This never happened to Jason Street,’” Gilford says.
Old 07-18-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great Read ... Thanks

My favorite show of the last couple years looks to remain high quality for its second season.

I dont think the spoilers are that earth shattering but they are definitely spoilers.
Old 07-18-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rosie O'Donnell on FNL ?!?!?!

From TMZ.com:
The producers of "Friday Night Lights" -- NBC's low-rated, but critically-acclaimed football drama -- are apparently set to offer the former "View" hostess a guest spot on the show, according to Michael Ausiello from TV Guide. Perhaps the show thinks less sexy people is the key to better ratings.

Executive producer Jason Katims tells Ausiello, "Rosie's a big fan of 'Friday Night Lights,' as we know from 'The View,' and we heard she was interested in being on the show. Usually, we don't do any stunt casting, but we have a character coming up -- six or seven episodes into the new season -- of a female soccer coach who is really angry about all of the school's resources going to football. It's a really funny character and I think she'd be perfect for it."
Old 07-18-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
Rosie O'Donnell on FNL ?!?!?!

From TMZ.com:
Yeah, I read that earlier today ... if she was still on The View I'd be cheering.. anything to boost FNL's ratings.. and let's face it.. if there's one thing Rosie can do is generate ratings.. but she went off the deep end and has left The View so what good can she do? She can't plug it on anything but her 'blog'.