Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rental DVD Labels

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental DVD Labels

Anybody else pissed by these? You know , when you rent a movie and it has an adhesive label that says the name of the store/chain? After buying several ex-rentals (with these on them) I am starting to wonder if these will come off over time , leaving sticky residue on the disc , thus making it unplayable , or , does the adhesive seep into the disc over time? Do they? Should you just buy a new clear label to cover the residue? I'm pissed off by these things , just like I am with the security stickers on DVDs (maybe even more so)!
Old 07-18-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tnfsgag
Anybody else pissed by these? You know , when you rent a movie and it has an adhesive label that says the name of the store/chain? After buying several ex-rentals (with these on them) I am starting to wonder if these will come off over time , leaving sticky residue on the disc , thus making it unplayable , or , does the adhesive seep into the disc over time? Do they? Should you just buy a new clear label to cover the residue? I'm pissed off by these things , just like I am with the security stickers on DVDs (maybe even more so)!
The stickers are on the actual disc? What chain is idiotic enough to do that? I occasionally buy those "don't really need them, but the price is too good to say no" titles at Blockbuster, but they have the rental info sticker on the actual cover. The paper cover, not the plastic case. If you are careful and pull slowly and steadily they come off pretty easy, though.
Old 07-18-07, 12:34 AM

i know the independent (i guess that's what you'd call them) video stores around me put stickers on their discs. they keep the disc in CD jewel cases and just scan the sticker when someone wants to rent the DVD. so it's not like blockbuster where you rent the whole case with the dvd inside, protected by those yellow "locks" they have on them. my cousin bought a dvd from them once and when you pull the sticker off, it leaves residue writing out the word "void" on it. really weird. i guess they don't want people to try and switch discs by changing the sticker out so they use some special sticker. but it was difficult to cleanly get off. suffice it to say i don't think i'll buy a used dvd from them soon. but with blockbuster/hollywood video discs, it's not really a problem because like a previous poster said, they put the rental sticker on the dvd cover instead. works out MUCH better.
Old 07-18-07, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
The stickers are on the actual disc? What chain is idiotic enough to do that? I occasionally buy those "don't really need them, but the price is too good to say no" titles at Blockbuster, but they have the rental info sticker on the actual cover. The paper cover, not the plastic case. If you are careful and pull slowly and steadily they come off pretty easy, though.
Yes , they are on the disc. But they're labels like those print them yourself - stick 'em on - DVD-R labels , except clear and have the name of the store (in this case Movie Gallery ( Hollywood Video's sister store)) on them.
Old 07-18-07, 11:54 AM
R_3
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to always buy previously "enjoyed" dvds from Blockbuster and they would actually write with gold permanent marker all over the disc labels; it was something like "BBV 1292" or something. It would make me mad at first but then I got over it when I figured that I never really look at the actual disc. It's the case and cover art that matters to me most.
Old 07-18-07, 12:02 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movie Gallery label can usually be pulled off labels with little adhesive residue. You just have to get an edge to start with and pull very slow. The only time I had trouble was when the disc had a paper label. Then the adhesive wanted to pull that off too.
Old 07-18-07, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blockbuster used to put them on the disc at the start of the DVD era. I usually peel them out slowly and get the glue residue out with Goo Gone.
Old 07-18-07, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by R_3
I used to always buy previously "enjoyed" dvds from Blockbuster and they would actually write with gold permanent marker all over the disc labels; it was something like "BBV 1292" or something. It would make me mad at first but then I got over it when I figured that I never really look at the actual disc. It's the case and cover art that matters to me most.
use a dry-erase marker and write over the writing and wipe it off, sounds crazy but it actually works and leaves the DVD unharmed.