Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

PJ Harvey: White Chalk - September 24(U.K.)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

PJ Harvey: White Chalk - September 24(U.K.)

Old 07-12-07, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ Harvey: White Chalk - September 25th (U.S.)

I hope there are other PJ Harvey fans here. I imagine the US release will be pretty close to the UK's. I read on a Harvey fan site that this album was mostly written on piano. It'll be interesting to hear.

From Pitchfork:

Last week, we scurried a story to you highlighting little else but the very existence of PJ Harvey's forthcoming seventh LP, White Chalk. It was a little low on juicy tidbits, we admit, but when one of the finest musicians of this or any era does something, our ears prick up. Yours should, too!

So, then, cup that hand to your hearing-hole and check this out: White Chalk now has a tracklist! Kicking off with "The Devil" and rolling through "The Mountain", we're guessing from the song titles that White Chalk will be described as "intense," "personal," and "intensely personal" upon its September 24 release from Island UK. (No U.S. release date at the moment, alas.) Of course, that's what they always say. But it's always true!

Polly Jean and her curent cast of characters have a few scattered dates on the way, including a stop at Spain's Summercase festival this weekend.

White Chalk:

01 The Devil
02 Dear Darkness
03 Grow Grow Grow
04 When Under Ether
05 White Chalk
06 Broken Harp
07 Silence
08 To Talk To You
09 The Piano
10 Before Departure
11 The Mountain

PJ Harvey:

07-13 Barcelona, Spain - Summercase Festival
07-14 Madrid, Spain - Summercase Festival
09-29 London, England - Royal Festival Hall

Last edited by Elpresidentepez; 09-01-07 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 07-12-07, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
I hope there are other PJ Harvey fans here.

Looking forward to it. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-12-07, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I almost posted this yesterday but I figured I'd wait for the U.S. release date. It had better be 9/24.....or sooner.
Old 07-12-07, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't imagine in this day and age that a label would want to to delay an album by a well-known artist stateside.
Old 07-12-07, 06:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haven't the last several PJ Harvey albums come out first in the UK? Or am I imagining things. Anyway, I love PJ and am anxiously awaiting this.
Old 07-12-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm there. This time I will try to catch a live show if/when she comes stateside.
Old 07-12-07, 11:04 AM

Another huge PJ fan here.

Although she is quite known compared to other artists in the alternative genre, maybe her popularity in the US has waned somewhat? It seems like her peak over here in terms of exposure was the Rid Of Me/To Bring You My Love era.
Old 07-12-07, 01:21 PM

Since she always follows up a crap album with a great album, this one should be great!!
Old 07-12-07, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Haven't the last several PJ Harvey albums come out first in the UK? Or am I imagining things. Anyway, I love PJ and am anxiously awaiting this.
I could be wrong... i think they did, but only by maybe a week. Though, i agree with The Bus...that's still pretty fucking stupid.
Old 07-12-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can't wait! i thought her last album was a little disappointing, but the previous was great!
Old 07-14-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Uh Huh Her" was awful apart from "The Darker Days of Me and Him" -- she put out an EP of B-sides from the album that was better than the album itself.

Since she always follows up a crap album with a great album, this one should be great!!
Hey, I like "Is This Desire". Besides, where do you place "4-Track Demos" and the album she did with John Parrish?
Old 07-14-07, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Hey, I like "Is This Desire". Besides, where do you place "4-Track Demos" and the album she did with John Parrish?
I don't count those as PJ Harvey Albums. 4 Track demos was just an attempt to try to salvage Rid of Me.

1. Dry (Great)
2. Rid Of Me (Crap)
3. To Bring You My Love (Excellent)
4. Is This Desire (Crap)
5. Stories from the City... (Excellent)
6. Uh Huh Her (Crap)
Old 07-14-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gjamesm
2. Rid Of Me (Crap)
boy that's a head scratcher. Not only is Rid of Me her best record, but also one of (if not the) greatest female rock records of all time.
Old 07-14-07, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
boy that's a head scratcher. Not only is Rid of Me her best record, but also one of (if not the) greatest female rock records of all time.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one.
Old 07-14-07, 09:12 PM

I loved Is This Desire?
Old 07-17-07, 08:01 AM

I am beyond excited for this one. I love all of her albums [well, except "Dance Hall", but I've always been able to convince myself it doesn't count since it was a collab with John Parish...except when she tortured us with 'Taut' on the last tour, though hearing both 'Harder' and 'Reeling' in one night more than made up for it] and am pretty confident she won't disappoint this time.
Old 07-27-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.ph...1&pb=1#more376
Old 07-28-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cool
Old 08-03-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice review,
Though I'm not too sure if I want another somber sounding album like "Is This Desire?" or half the songs on her "Uh Huh Her" release.

Another short album -- Only a mere 33 minutes?!?! She better have a nice insert to go along with that CD package.

Old 08-06-07, 11:49 PM

uh huh her really did suck. seemed like half finished demos
Old 08-12-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ya know, i looked around and remember now that "uh huh her" got pretty decent reviews. i'm glad so many of you here realize, along with me, that it was pretty awful. and whoever suggested she does a good one, bad one routine with her albums is pretty spot-on.

pj discs that are almost worn out from repeated spins: to bring you my love & stories from the city, stories from the sea - man, she can write awesome songs--maybe only when she has a failure of an album to make up for?
Old 08-30-07, 08:55 PM

Has anyone heard the first single off White Chalk 'When Under Ether'? I listened to it a couple of weeks ago and didn't know what to make of it. Listened to it again a little bit ago and it's grown on me. Moody as hell, I'm always hoping she'll go back to rocking out...but songs like this stay with you.

Last edited by Elpresidentepez; 09-01-07 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-02-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
Has anyone heard the first single off White Chalk 'When Under Ether'? I listened to it a couple of weeks ago and didn't know what to make of it. Listened to it again a little bit ago and it's grown on me. Moody as hell, I'm always hoping she'll go back to rocking out...but songs like this stay with you.
Yeah, I like it quite a lot. It's a haunting track that keeps making me go back to it. Still not sure what to expect from the album. I disagree with this Every Other rule. Uh Huh Her has been the only disappointment for me so far.
Old 09-02-07, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lokimok
Yeah, I like it quite a lot. It's a haunting track that keeps making me go back to it. Still not sure what to expect from the album. I disagree with this Every Other rule. Uh Huh Her has been the only disappointment for me so far.
I couldn't agree more. I would go as far as saying Uh Huh Her was disappointing, but with a few bright spots. 'Who the Fuck?' and 'You Come Through' are decent , imo.
Old 09-05-07, 09:30 PM

Leaked....and quite good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.