Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dracula Year Zero

Old 07-11-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Dracula Year Zero

Proyas to direct Universal's 'Dracula'
De Luca to produce Vlad the Impaler tale
By DIANE GARRETT

Alex Proyas will direct "Dracula Year Zero," Universal's origins tale about Vlad the Impaler.

Project, being produced by Michael De Luca, is one of several in the works about the Romanian royal who inspired Bram Stoker's vampire tale.

Proyas ("I, Robot") was attracted to the script by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, enthusing over their "fresh take on the legend."

He said the project manages to play off the horror and the sympathy you have for a character that "sells his soul to the Devil to save his kingdom and family."

The scribes, who set up the project a year ago, said the goal was to show Vlad when he was still vital and to explore the fact that he's considered a hero in Romania for fending off the Turks.

"Usually when you see him, he's past his prime and 100 years old," Sazama said.

"In our movie, he's at the height of his powers," Sharpless added.

"Dracula Year Zero" reunites Proyas with De Luca, who shepherded "Dark City" when he was a New Line exec. It's also one of several monster movies in the works at the studio, which is prepping a third installment in its "Mummy" franchise and a "Wolf Man" redo starring Benicio Del Toro.

"One of the cool things about this is that we're doing it at Universal," Sharpless said. "This is the home of monster movies."

The script was the first spec sale for the writing partners, who are busy on a couple of other Universal projects, including Zack Snyder's "Cobalt 60."

Dueling Dracula projects set up around town include "The Historian," a contempo book about the search for Vlad the Impaler's grave that Brad Caleb Kane is adapting for Sony's Red Wagon shingle, and "Castlevania," an adaptation of a popular vidgame for which Rogue recently signed up director Sylvain White ("Stomp the Yard").
Old 07-11-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds cool to me.
Old 07-11-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been waiting for a good movie about Vlad the Impaler. 2008 will definitely be Universal's return of the monsters year.
Old 07-11-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I hate the title, but like the concept. Just call it Vlad the Impaler.
Old 07-11-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I hate the title, but like the concept. Just call it Vlad the Impaler.
Most people have no idea Vlad is the inspiration for Dracula. People know Dracula so name alone will help get more people to see it than some name they are not familiar with.
Old 07-11-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in other news, a few weeks ago the descendants of Vlad sold the castle. I think they are going to turn it into a hotel
Old 07-11-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Most people have no idea Vlad is the inspiration for Dracula. People know Dracula so name alone will help get more people to see it than some name they are not familiar with.
I guess it's just the Year Zero part I hate. Sounds like a video game.
Old 07-11-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or a comic book. (Not that there's anything wrong with comic books, but the title might turn some people off to the movie)
Old 07-11-07, 11:39 AM
Banned

Actually, I was thinking of comic books. There are actual comics called Batman: Year One, Robin: Year One, etc.
Old 07-12-07, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 07-12-07, 05:12 AM

Or a Nine Inch Nails cd.
Old 07-12-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
With Dracula in the name, I'll still see it.
Old 07-12-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the "Year Zero" in the title. It's a nice, succinct way to convey the fact that the film is an origin story and, plus, it sounds cool.
Old 07-12-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This sounds completely badass. Proyas doing a film of Vlad's early days? This has some serious potential to be very dark and brooding, as I typically expect from a Proyas film. It's about time someone decided to make a film based on this period on Vlad's life. I'm just glad someone like Proyas is tackling it.
Old 08-27-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From MTV:
It’s the buzzword of 2008, and if I’ve heard it once this summer from a director I’ve heard it 100 times: “I want to make my origin story/comic book movie/space adventure/gay cowboy love story more realistic. Think ‘The Dark Knight.’” All fine and good, but just how realistic is too realistic for a character like Dracula?

It’s a fine line for director Alex Proyas, who is currently prepping his next movie “Dracula: Year Zero,” a story that he told us “sort of the origin tale that mixes [the historical] Prince Vlad of Transylvania with sort of [fictionalized] Bram Stoker [take]”
Draculas, and vampires in general, are known, of course, for some pretty unrealistic things: being able to transform into bats, for instance, or aversion to garlic, or a lack of a reflection in mirrors, or giant fangs.

“Oh, you’ve got to have teeth,” Proyas exclaimed. “I mean, the teeth are really important. I think Frank Langella in the ‘Dracula’ movie that was made in the 70s, I think he didn’t want to have teeth in the movie. But, no, I like the teeth. I want to see girls with a lot of teeth.”

Ok, so teeth are in. Garlic? “I think the garlic thing is kind of weird,” Proyas laughed.

And the transformation into a bat? Well…Proyas wouldn’t say. So what parts of mythology DO make it into his version? “Stakes and teeth,” the director smiled. “And we’re lots and lots of blood!”
Old 08-27-08, 05:43 PM
Banned

Why does everything have to be so "realistic" nowadays. Sure a superhero that has no superpowers like Batman can be done realistically, but that doesn't mean everything has to be done realistically now. A "realistic" vampire sounds laughable. What's next? A "realistic" zombie movie that explains in detail how a corpse becomes undead?

Anyway, how far along is Dracula Year Zero? This topic was created a year ago, and there is still very little known about it. I searched on wikipedia, and there is no article at all about the movie.
Old 08-27-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
It's also one of several monster movies in the works at the studio, which is prepping a third installment in its "Mummy" franchise and a "Wolf Man" redo starring Benicio Del Toro.
This Dracula movie sounds cool. With a new Wolfman movie in the works could this produce another remastered universal DVD-The original Wolfman? That would be cool too.
Old 08-28-08, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by taffer
Why does everything have to be so "realistic" nowadays. Sure a superhero that has no superpowers like Batman can be done realistically, but that doesn't mean everything has to be done realistically now. A "realistic" vampire sounds laughable. What's next? A "realistic" zombie movie that explains in detail how a corpse becomes undead?

Anyway, how far along is Dracula Year Zero? This topic was created a year ago, and there is still very little known about it. I searched on wikipedia, and there is no article at all about the movie.

Personally, I'd prefer a realistic take on Vlad with all the silly vampire stuff thrown out, but this movie still sounds interesting to me.
Old 08-28-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Title sucks, but everything else is good.
Old 08-28-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Sounds like a Capcom Video Game title.
Old 08-28-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
Personally, I'd prefer a realistic take on Vlad with all the silly vampire stuff thrown out, but this movie still sounds interesting to me.
There was a film a few years back called "Vlad" that tossed out the vampire stuff, although it flirted with him sleeping in coffins and such if I remember correctly. It wasn't bad; Billy Zane and Brad Dourif were in it.
Old 08-28-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
The interview quoted above was done in late-July at Comic-Con, so I'd say he's still in the pre-production stage. He's been busy with "Knowing," but I think this is up next.
Old 08-28-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Title sucks, but everything else is good.
One film with 'Year Zero' in the title is enough.
Old 08-28-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Sounds kick ass to me