Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the re-release date for E.T.?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 04:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the knew Spielberg on Spielberg documentary last night. Highly recommend the fans check this one out.

E.T. is out of print. Does anybody know the date (if there is one) for a re-release of this set or one like it. I had one but is disappeared from my collection. I would love to have the original (not the edited and enhanced version) back again.

Thanks for the help...
Old 07-11-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I stole it. Just Kidding.

I don't know if they are planning to re-release that vr. of E.T. on DVD. I bought it when it was released because it said in stores for a "limited time only" so I doubt it will ever be in print again.

I think if you want to have that set again you will have too start up an investigation on how it disapeared from your collection or you will just have to go buy the 2 disc DVD thats still available in stores.
Old 07-11-07, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ECHO7
I just watched the knew Spielberg on Spielberg documentary last night. Highly recommend the fans check this one out.

E.T. is out of print. Does anybody know the date (if there is one) for a re-release of this set or one like it. I had one but is disappeared from my collection. I would love to have the original (not the edited and enhanced version) back again.

Thanks for the help...
saw the doc too, made me wanna rewatch all the movies in my DVD collection.

He talked about the use of music for the end part of ET being Williams most effective and I agree, it's particularily noticeable and beautiful on the theatrical (DTS) cut/edition of the movie - it's the one movie IMO that effectively benefits from nearly music alone, take away the voice element and I think you'd get the same effect.
Old 07-11-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
He talked about the use of music for the end part of ET being Williams most effective and I agree, it's particularily noticeable and beautiful on the theatrical (DTS) cut/edition of the movie - it's the one movie IMO that effectively benefits from nearly music alone, take away the voice element and I think you'd get the same effect.
I loved that part of the doc, and I love -- LOVE -- the music at the end... but, for me, the whole thing comes to a head on "I'll be right here", and that's when I tear up.

What I love is how minimal the dialogue is in that whole scene. "Be good" is touching too. But the kid doesn't try to say a bunch of stuff that he wouldn't say and ET wouldn't understand... it's just great.
Old 07-11-07, 03:01 PM
Banned

They are easily available at Amazon.com even though the DVD is OOP.
Old 07-11-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
They are easily available at Amazon.com even though the DVD is OOP.
40 bucks for a new copy, no thanks
Old 07-11-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think other region still have it on print. Not sure about the cost but I don't think it's going to reach 40 bucks.
Old 07-11-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the 2-disker of ET sealed off ebay for $15 a year or so ago, so maybe check there.
Old 07-11-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can regularly get the 4-disc ultimate giftset of ET, which is an excellent package, for around $30-40 on e-bay.
Old 07-11-07, 10:05 PM

The 2-disc has the original on it? If so, Amazon has it for 14 bucks.
Old 07-11-07, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Imail724
The 2-disc has the original on it? If so, Amazon has it for 14 bucks.

They have it used for 14 bucks.
Old 07-11-07, 10:12 PM

I got mine used at FYE a few days back for $15.99. Well worth it as the DVDs were in pristine condition and I really wanted the original theatrical version on DVD. Like people have said, I assume it won't be re-released since you can find the single disc versions readily available in store, and it seemed like putting the original version on DVD was a one-time thing with that limited edition, which is kinda lame.
Old 07-12-07, 08:20 AM

I have 2 extra copies that I would part with for pretty cheap if anyone wants one. PM me a reasonable offer.

edit: Sealed
Old 07-12-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw a used copy at a local mom&pop shop in Austin yesterday for $11.99.
Old 07-12-07, 10:21 AM

I'm still miffed that the the DVD editions never touched or featured in supplementary form, the deleted scenes - hanging on my copy of the laserdisc that includes the alternate ending (and no ET doesn't stay, or Elliott gets whisked off into space with him )

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I loved that part of the doc, and I love -- LOVE -- the music at the end... but, for me, the whole thing comes to a head on "I'll be right here", and that's when I tear up.

What I love is how minimal the dialogue is in that whole scene. "Be good" is touching too. But the kid doesn't try to say a bunch of stuff that he wouldn't say and ET wouldn't understand... it's just great.
on a side note I bought the SACD of the score awhile back and I thought the mixing of the music cues never acchieved what it sounded like in theatre or on the DTS mix on the DVD - the music sounding much fuller, dynamic, and better implemented in all of 5.1 soundscape . The SACD edition sounds very restrained in that respect.

Last edited by Giles; 07-12-07 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=Giles]hanging on my copy of the laserdisc that includes the alternate ending (and no ET doesn't stay, or Elliott gets whisked off into space with him )[QUOTE]

never had laserdisc, never knew there was an alternate ending. care to spoil it for me? i'm curious to know what it is, though i expect it's probably not radically different.
Old 07-17-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the 4-disc gift set (book, film cell, etc.) new from e-bay for $9.95 + $10.50 shipping. I'm pretty happy. If you look around, you can still find great deals on this all the time.
Old 07-17-07, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
hanging on my copy of the laserdisc that includes the alternate ending (and no ET doesn't stay, or Elliott gets whisked off into space with him )
never had laserdisc, never knew there was an alternate ending. care to spoil it for me? i'm curious to know what it is, though i expect it's probably not radically different.
here's a webstory on the missing scenes and post coda final scene:

E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL: THE DELETED SCENES
Old 07-17-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool reading! Thanks Giles!
Old 07-19-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ECHO7
E.T. is out of print.
I think this Giftset is OOP

Old 07-19-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah. I remember buying the limited edition set off Suncoast when they had the fuck-up and had it listed at $25.

Man. I miss the good old days of DVD buying.
Old 07-20-07, 11:19 AM

im sure whenever it hits the 25 year anniversery or 30 year it will be rereleased. just look at jaws's rerelease.

if not check your used dvd stores, thats were i get most of my oop stuff. just the other day i got almost famous (2-disc, with a bonus cd) for 8.99 canadian.
Old 07-21-07, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A great reading indeed.

One thing that struck me about the coda is about how much more similar the movie is with The Iron Giant. I don't know what really happens there, but I'm guessing that Brad Bird is a big E.T. fans.