Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Ah, HELL no!"

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Ah, HELL no!"

The exclamation is "Ah, HELL no!"

I'm sorry for swearing in the title, but it really is what the thread is about. Change it if necessary, mods.

So, my questions are twofold:

First, what film started the cliche of the protagonist being upstaged by another character and then the protagonist exclaims "Ah, HELL no!" and proceeds to kick said person's ass? (The protagonist who exclaims this is most often an African-American, but not always.)

Second, what other films have this exclamation in them?

From my list:
Rush Hour (I know one of them has Chris Tucker saying that)
some Will Smith film

(And I guess third, who is sick of that expression?)

-ringding-
Old 07-07-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "untitled Will Smith project" which you are referring to is more than likely Men In Black. Although, it is entirely possible it was used in others as well. I simply seem to recall it being used in the original MIB.
Old 07-07-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Will Smith said it in I Robot when the Robots attacked him in his car.
Old 07-07-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I thought he said it in Independence Day as well....
Old 07-07-07, 05:10 PM
Banned

This thread is racist.
Old 07-07-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In my junior year of high school, I had a major buddy-buddy relationship with my English teacher. He was about to start Brave New World with us, and he said we'd be watching a sci-fi movie, "probably I, Robot". When I heard this, I was infuriated (not with him, intellectually) and I begged him for us to watch Blade Runner or RoboCop instead since those were closer in terms of portraying Huxley's influences than a Will Smith blockbuster (unfortunately, Children of Men was still two years away and would have easily been my favorite if it had been out then). But of course, my other close teacher (who was also best friends with my English teacher) scored I, Robot cheap at Hollywood Video, and he gave it to him.

I dreaded the day we watched this. Luckily I didn't see the first part of the movie, but I kept telling the class (and my teacher) that if I was able to make a monetary bet that Will Smith says "Aw, hell no!" during the movie, I would have done it. They resisted my prediction because my peers loved contradicting my opinions, so when Will Smith said the immortal one-liner while heading straight on for another car, I exclaimed how I was totally right and was completely vindicated by my call.
Old 07-07-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
In my junior year of high school, I had a major buddy-buddy relationship with my English teacher. He was about to start Brave New World with us, and he said we'd be watching a sci-fi movie, "probably I, Robot". When I heard this, I was infuriated (not with him, intellectually) and I begged him for us to watch Blade Runner or RoboCop instead since those were closer in terms of portraying Huxley's influences than a Will Smith blockbuster (unfortunately, Children of Men was still two years away and would have easily been my favorite if it had been out then). But of course, my other close teacher (who was also best friends with my English teacher) scored I, Robot cheap at Hollywood Video, and he gave it to him.

I dreaded the day we watched this. Luckily I didn't see the first part of the movie, but I kept telling the class (and my teacher) that if I was able to make a monetary bet that Will Smith says "Aw, hell no!" during the movie, I would have done it. They resisted my prediction because my peers loved contradicting my opinions, so when Will Smith said the immortal one-liner while heading straight on for another car, I exclaimed how I was totally right and was completely vindicated by my call.
You got beat up a lot in high school, didn't you?

Last edited by DeputyDave; 07-07-07 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
You got beat up a lot in high school, didn't you?
I hope so.
Old 07-07-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 07-07-07, 07:15 PM
Banned

I had a major buddy-buddy relationship with my English teacher.
Let me guess, you're a liberal?
Old 07-07-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
This thread is racist.

Ah, HELL no!
Old 07-07-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
This thread is racist.
Sheeeeeiiit!!
Old 07-07-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
It doesn't bother me nor do I really notice it in movies.
Old 07-07-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Um, excuse it. It's pronounced "aw, Hell naw" the naw is very important as it adds sass to the expression of saying this. Without that it's like watching Emerald cook without the bang.

If there's one thing I could be happy with when I die is that the only time I saw Will Smith on the lot walking towards my direction I stopped him and said "Awwww hell naw!"

So I "Aw, Hell naw"ed Will Smith.

-ringding-
(we're all signing this thread like this, right?)
Old 07-07-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And thus the jocks were then completely vindicated in their call to give you a wedgie after class.
Old 07-07-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Second, what other films have this exclamation in them?

some Will Smith film
some Will Smith film? More like pretty much every Will Smith film! It's practically his official catchphrase (just like "I'll be back" was Arnold Schwarzenegger's).
Old 07-07-07, 08:57 PM

we get it rinding
u hate black people
Old 07-07-07, 09:09 PM

Will said it on the Fresh Prince show quite a bit. And everything else he has done. Very annoying.
Old 07-07-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't worry, I was acknowledged in high school. I was not picked on by jocks, but by junkies, and I was never, ever beaten up because the post-Columbine era really canceled it out. I'm not a nerd like Revenge of the Nerds, but my nerdiness is more about intellect than playing D&D in my parents' basement all weekend. Please, no offense on my part, I was just adding my two cents to how hilarious the omnipresence of "Aw, hell no!" is in Will Smith's movies.

And yes, I'm a liberal.
Old 07-07-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

fo' shizzle
Old 07-08-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Aw HELL naw -- white boy did not just say fo' shizzle!
Old 07-08-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I knew this was a thread about Will Smith as soon as I read the title.

Ya'll just a bunch of Will Smith haters!
Old 07-08-07, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Racists, liberals, Will Smiths...Oh my!

This thread confuses me...
Old 07-08-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
In my junior year of high school, I had a major buddy-buddy relationship with my English teacher.

"You know his botany teacher from college stays in close touch with him? They became friends!..That's pretty rare! I mean, actual friends! Like equals! They have dinner together, they have discussings..."
Old 07-08-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Um, excuse it. It's pronounced "aw, Hell naw" the naw is very important as it adds sass to the expression of saying this. Without that it's like watching Emerald cook without the bang.
It's Emeril and it's BAM!.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.