Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

the Thin Red Line

Old 07-06-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the Thin Red Line

Is probably the most beautiful film I've ever seen.
Such a moving soundtrack. The dialogie, the monologues, the cinematography, the story line... everything. In perfect tune.

I know the general public, the movie going crowd as a whole didn't love this movie - I'd never judge a movie by what others think.

Without a doubt one of the most moving films I've seen.

First time I saw it, years ago, I didn't "understand" it. Upon re-viewing... whole different story.
Old 07-06-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed. Such a wonderful film, vastly superior to Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan which came out the same year. I really wish I could see the Extended/Director's Cut as I heard that originally Adrien Brody was the main character.
Old 07-06-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I really wish I could see the Extended/Director's Cut as I heard that originally Adrien Brody was the main character.
Agreed. Out of all the "Unrated/Extended" DVDs that get made on a daily basis, this is still the one that sits atop my wish list.

Interesting to know that Brody's character was the lead. Everyone seems to think it's Caviezel on the regular cut, but if you watch the movie with the captions on, "Pvt. Train" is the one who actually does the most narration. He's the one that "wants to own an automobile" when he gets home.
Old 07-06-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still remember what it was like seeing this in the theater. I was with a group of about 20 friends, and I was the only one who liked it. I wonder how many of them have revisited it and changed their minds since then.

IMO, it's Zimmer's best work.

das
Old 07-07-07, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I fear most people who see it just don't.. "understand" it.

NOt trying to sound arrogant, just honest. They don't see the movie, they don't get it.
Old 07-07-07, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love the preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZzQVo3mEuc Very well done.

The final part: "have you ever had anyone die in your arms, sir?" and onwards gets me everytime.
Old 07-07-07, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also think the scene or scenes with Travolta are VERY well done.
"there's always someone watching".

And the Nick Nolte character.
Old 07-07-07, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been my favorite movie since I saw it in theaters when it came out. And I agree, I think it is Zimmer's best work.
Old 07-07-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A scene that gets to me - the soldier who, after the attack on the japanese camp, is watching a japanese soldier die. He says to him, "I am going to sink my teeth into your liver. You're dying" - and over the narration, he doesn't care.

And later, in the pouring rain, that same soldier is thinking back - sitting in the pouring rain and crying over the horror.