Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford at Fox: 21 Disc Collection for December

Pick this news up from the friends at criterionforum.org:

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...pic.php?t=6480

Ford at Fox: 21 Disc Collection for December
Friday June 15th 2007, 3:47 pm
Filed under: movies

Rumors that 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment was planning a John Ford set have been rumbling through the community for months. I’ve just received confirmation from a Fox publicist that the rumors are not only true, but the project sounds bigger and better than I’d dared to hope.

Now set for release for December, 2007, the collection, to be titled “Ford at Fox,” will consists of 25 features that Ford made for Fox, including five silents, 18 of which will be new to DVD.

The box will list for $299.98 and also contain a new documentary on Ford by Nick Redman, a book of photographs featuring an essay by Joseph McBride and a reproduction of the program book for “The Iron Horse.”

The specific titles haven’t yet been released, but I’ll get them up here as soon as I have them.

Although the Fox promotional material says that the collection will include all of Ford’s extant Fox productions, this can’t be the case if only five silent films are included. The surviving silent Fox-Fords are, to the best of my knowledge, “Just Pals” (1920), “Action” (1921), “Cameo Kirby” (1923), 40 minutes of “North of Hudson Bay” (1923), “The Iron Horse” (1924), “Lightnin’” (1925), “Kentucky Pride” (1925), “The Shamrock Handicap” (1926), “3 Bad Men” (1926), most of “The Blue Eagle” (1926), three reels of “Mother Machree” (1928), “Four Sons” (1928), “Hangman’s House” (1928), and “Riley the Cop” (1928). Perhaps some of the Ford scholars who occasionally pass this way (that’s you, Scott Eyman) will know better.

But I’m hardly in a mood to complain if this means, at the very least, getting “3 Bad Men,” “Four Sons,” “Men without Women, “The Seas Beneath” and “Pilgrimage” back in circulation, there to claim their rightful places among the masterworks of Ford’s career.

Fox deserves the gratitude and, more to the point, the financial support of every cinephile for taking a chance on such artistically important but little known material. Who knows? If this one works, we might someday see “Murnau at Fox,” “Walsh at Fox,” “Dwan at Fox,” “Hawks at Fox,” and — who knows? — even the Holy Grail, “Borzage at Fox.”
http://davekehr.com/?p=195

All I can say is: wow! This is a must buy for all the John Ford fans.
Old 07-05-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than the Criterion set, is this the most comprehensive box set ever released? Certainly looks like it.
Old 07-05-07, 05:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Other than the Criterion set, is this the most comprehensive box set ever released? Certainly looks like it.
criterion set of what?
Old 07-05-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Originally Posted by EEz28
criterion set of what?
I think this is what he's refering to.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=476259
Old 07-05-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow. I'm a huge fan of Ford, and this comes as a great surprise, especially his silents! Hopefully the price will be a little lower though.
Old 07-05-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been wanting to see Tobacco Road for a long time.
Old 07-05-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait to get this. This is my most anticipated releases of the year.
Old 09-05-07, 11:55 AM

link

FORD HAD A BETTER IDEA: The diverse works of the great John Ford are on view in an incredible schedule of releases from Fox Video called The Ford At Fox Collection. This celebration of the master director’s labors for the studio will bring us many flicks from his folio that have never before surfaced in any home video format, much less on DVD.Most people know John Ford as the director behind such John Wayne classics as Stagecoach, Fort Apache, The Searchers, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. But “Pappy’s” career encompassed several decades, beginning in the silent era. He worked on all sorts of films in all genres, which is evidenced in this impressive collection.

The Essential John Ford includes the currently available The Grapes Of Wrath, How Green Was My Valley, My Darling Clementine, and Drums Along The Mohawk, as well as the new documentary Becoming John Ford.

John Ford’s American Comedies includes Doctor Bull (1933), with Will Rogers as a country doctor whose affair with a widow causes waves in the area; and Judge Priest (1934), with Will as a judge trying to help his nephew find a girl and preside over a big case at the same time. When Willie Comes Marching Home(1950) offers Dan Dailey as a war hero whose reassignment to his hometown cause problems; and the prison break comedy-drama Up The River (1930) offers very early career showcases for Spencer Tracy and Humphrey Bogart. The previously available What Price Glory? and Steamboat ‘Round The Bend are also included.

John Ford’s Silent Epics includes Four Sons (1928), about how war affects a Bavarian mother and her quartet of boys; The Iron Horse (1924), a thrilling tale of building a railroad and a son’s vengeance for his father’s murder; 3 Bad Men (1926), where a trio of outlaws help a young woman when her father is killed; Hangman’s House (1928), a tale of a no-nonsense judge who meddles in his family’s affairs (look closely for John Wayne!); and Just Pals (1920), with cowboy star Buck Jones in a change-of-pace role as a ne’er-do-well who befriends a young boy who has been thrown off a freight train.

When Willie Comes Marching Home, The Iron Horse, Hangman’s House, 3 Bad Men, and Up The River will be available individually, as well as The Prisoner Of Shark Island (1936), centering on the doctor (Warner Baxter) who treated Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth, and his ordeals in prison; Pilgrimage (1933), in which a mother who disapproves of her son’s marriage enlists him in the army with disastrous results; and Born Reckless (1930), starring Edmund Lowe as the gangster who takes military service over a jail term and becomes a war hero.

The big shebang, however, is the voluminous Ford At Fox: Gift Set. ALL of the aforementioned Ford films are included, PLUS the following: The currently available Young Mr. Lincoln; Tobacco Road (1941), Erskine Caldwell’s rustic satire; the Shirley Temple vehicle Wee Willie Winkie (1937); the Madeleine Carroll costumer The World Moves On (1934); the WWI submarine saga Seas Beneath (1931); and the Loretta Young-David Niven adventure Four Men And A Prayer (1938). For good measure, you’ll be able to compare My Darling Clementine to Frontier Marshal (1939), Allan Dwan’s take on the Wyatt Earp legend starring Randolph Scott. These 25 films are contained on 20 DVDs in their own screw-bound folder. You’ll also get a hardback 172-page book, reproductions of souvenir books for The Iron Horse and Four Sons, and a separately packaged Becoming John Ford documentary, all packaged in a heavy duty vinyl box. This is easily one of the most impressive DVD packages of the year, if not ever!
Awesome.
Old 09-05-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in for one.
Old 09-05-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may end up waiting for an amazing deal/DD sale... but this sounds like a no-brainer purchase. Hell, even at full retail, it's a pretty amazing deal.
Old 09-05-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...this looks incredible.
Old 09-06-07, 10:21 PM

Fox's Press Release for Ford at Fox:

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX OPENS THE VAULT TO PRESENT THE ULTIMATE SHOWCASE COLLECTION FROM ONE OF CINEMA’S MOST INFLUENTIAL DIRECTORS

Multiple Academy-Award® Winning Legend John Ford Feted With Massive 24 Film Collection, All New In-Depth Documentary “Becoming John Ford,” Exclusive Coffee Table Book With Never-Before-Seen Photos And More

Arriving On December 4 In Time For The Holidays, Set Includes 18 New To DVD Releases

-- Restored Classic The Iron Horse Selected For Both Venice And New York Film Festivals --

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – John Ford is considered by many to be one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. His sphere of influence touched contemporaries such as Ingmar Bergman and Orson Welles; as well as George Lucas, Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg. For much of his early career, Ford’s home was Twentieth Century Fox where he made more than 50 films for the studio from 1920 through 1952, including such classics as The Grapes of Wrath, My Darling Clementine, Drums Along The Mohawk and How Green Was My Valley. It was one of the most productive director/studio relationships in the history of American film.

Now, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment presents a collection spanning the career of this remarkable visionary with FORD AT FOX, available December 4. Celebrating the legacy of the collected works of John Ford and their part in the Studio’s heritage and pedigree, FORD AT FOX features 24 films as well as the new documentary “Becoming John Ford” by Academy Award nominated documentary maker and Ford historian Nick Redman. The beautifully packaged collection also includes an exclusive hard-cover book which features rare, unpublished photographs from Ford’s career, lobby card reproductions, production stills and an in-depth look at this maverick’s work. The premiere FORD AT FOX DVD collection will be available for a suggested retail price of $299.98. Three mini-collections will also be available including The Essential John Ford, John Ford’s American Comedies and John Ford’s Silent Epics, all for a suggested retail price of $49.98. Single discs of selected films from the collection will be available for $19.98. Prebook is November 7, 2007.

Ford’s career began at Fox with Just Pals (1920), a rustic silent comedy set in rural America and starring cowboy actor Buck Jones. Other silent epics followed including the seminal film The Iron Horse (1924) which was the biggest grossing film of its day, the revenge tale 3 Bad Men (1926), family saga Four Sons (1928) and the redemption story Hangman’s House (1928) which features the screen debut of John Wayne; all of which are included in the FORD AT FOX collection completely restored and remastered and featuring all-new orchestral scores created specifically for each film.

While revered for his contributions to the Western genre, the collection also features some of Ford’s classic American comedies including three pairings with cowboy hero Will Rogers in Doctor Bull (1933), Judge Priest (1934) and Steamboat Round The Bend (1935), the legendary Dan Dailey in When Willie Comes Marching Home (1950) and the incomparable James Cagney in What Price Glory (1952).

No cinephile collection would be complete without Ford’s masterpieces, three of which feature one of his longtime friends and collaborators, Henry Fonda in Drums Along The Mohawk (1940), The Grapes of Wrath (1940) and My Darling Clementine (1946). The set also features How Green Was My Valley (1941), winner of five Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director, a category for which Ford took home the statue four times in his career. Rounding out the collection is Seas Beneath (1931), Up The River (1931), Pilgrimage (1934), The World Moves On (1934), The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936), Wee Willie Winkie (1937), Four Men and a Prayer (1938), Young Mr. Lincoln (1939), Tobacco Road (1941) and Born Reckless (1950).

FORD AT FOX DVD Collection Special Features & Disc Specifics
Just Pals (1920)
Feature film with Dolby 5.0 Surround Sound and Spanish/French subtitles
The Iron Horse (1924)
Two versions – U.K. and United States
Feature film with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and Spanish/French subtitles
Commentary by Author & Film Historian Robert Birchard (International only)
“Scoring The Past: The Iron Horse Sessions with Christopher Caliendo” featurette (International only)
Restoration comparison (International only)
Vintage program (International only)
Advertising gallery (International only)
3 Bad Men (1926)
Four Sons (1928)
Feature film with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and Spanish/French subtitles
Hangman’s House (1928)
Born Reckless (1930)
Feature film with English Mono and Spanish/French subtitles
Up The River (1930)
Theatrical trailer
Still gallery
Seas Beneath (1931)
Doctor Bull (1933)
Pilgrimage (1933)
Commentary by Biographer & Film Historian Joseph McBride
Restoration comparison
Judge Priest (1934)
The World Moves On (1934)
Steamboat Round The Bend (1935)
Feature film with English Stereo and English Mono and Spanish subtitles
Commentary by Author Scott Eyman
Restoration comparison
Theatrical trailer
Will Rogers Theater
Doubting Thomas
In Old Kentucky
Life Begins at 40
The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936)
Restoration comparison
Interactive pressbook gallery
Advertising gallery
Still gallery
Wee Willie Winkie (1937)
Feature film (tinted version) in English Stereo or English Mono, Spanish Mono and Spanish/French subtitles
Feature film (black & white) in English Stereo or English Mono, Spanish Mono and Spanish/French subtitles
Restoration comparison
Four Men and a Prayer (1938)
Drums Along The Mohawk (1939)
Feature film with English Stereo or English Mono, Spanish/French Mono and Spanish/French subtitles
Commentary by Film Historians Julie Kirgo & Nick Redman
Theatrical trailer
Still galleries
Advertising
Lobby cards
Studio portraits
Behind the scenes
Production stills
Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)
Feature film with English Dolby Digital 1.0
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Feature film with English Stereo or English Mono, Spanish Mono and Spanish subtitles
Commentary by Biographer & Film Historian Joseph McBride
U.K. prologue
Biography: Daryl Zannuck: 20th Century Filmmaker
Restoration comparison
Theatrical trailer
Movie Tone News
1934: “First Drought In Many Years Hits Mid-West”
1934: “Drought Distress Is Increasing In The Mid-West”
1934: “Mid-West Drought Distress Becomes National Disaster”
1934: “Outtakes”
1941: “Roosevelt Lauds Motion Pictures At Academy Fete”
Still gallery
Tobacco Road (1941)
Interactive press book
Poster gallery
How Green Was My Valley (1941)
Feature film with English Stereo or English Mono, Spanish/French Mono and Spanish subtitles
Commentary by Anna Lee Nathan and Biographer & Film Historian Joseph McBride
Backstory: How Green Was My Valley
Still gallery
Theatrical trailer
My Darling Clementine (1946)
Disc One
Feature film with English Stereo or English Mono, Spanish/French Mono and Spanish subtitles
Commentary by Wyatt Earp III
Disc Two
Alternate pre-release version (Ford’s cut)
What is the pre-release version featurette
Theatrical trailer
Behind the scenes
When Willie Comes Marching Home (1950)
Restoration comparison
Advertising gallery
What Price Glory (1952)
Feature film with English Stereo or English Mono, Spanish Mono and Spanish subtitles
Two theatrical trailers
Fox Flix
Crash Dive
The Hunters
Morituri
Becoming John Ford (2007)
Feature-length documentary with English Stereo and Spanish/French subtitles
The Battle of Midway (doc Ð 1942)
Battle of Midway - Additional Footage (1942)

December 7th (doc Ð 1943)
Torpedo Squadron (doc Ð 1942)
Ford at Fox Photo Galleries (estimated 29 to be broken out by title)
Ford at Fox Movie Poster / lobby card gallery
Pressbook Galleries
Vintage Programs
- The Iron Horse
- Four Sons

Last edited by starecase; 09-06-07 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. Too bad I already own My Darling Clementine, How Green Was My Valley, Grapes of Wrath, Young Mr. Lincoln, and The Prisoner of Shark Island.
Old 09-07-07, 12:42 AM

Awesome set, but I'm not that big a fan of Ford's. I own his classic films and content with just that, though I would be tempted for 50 bucks (lol).
Old 09-07-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Wow. Too bad I already own My Darling Clementine, How Green Was My Valley, Grapes of Wrath, Young Mr. Lincoln, and The Prisoner of Shark Island.
I'm in a similar boat, but with Drums Along the Mohawk & Steamboat 'Round the Bend in my collection, instead of The Prisoner of Shark Island.

Since I already own 25% of the films in this box set, I think I'll take a pass, but, then again, if it shows up in Amazon's Gold Box at 50% off...
Old 09-09-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is simply amazing....I'll be buying this day one
Old 09-10-07, 05:41 AM

I think I will stick to the box of silents, and the individual release of Pilgrimage and maybe a couple of others. Though this whole set is absolutely...mind boggling. I hope some of the titles are up for rent.

Its too bad that Fox couldn't (or wouldn't) snatch up Masters of Cinema's selection of special features for The Prisoner of Shark Island...which remains, because of those, a truly essential purchase for Ford fans. Commentary by Eyman, a video discussion by David Ehrenstein, and a little booklet with an English re-translation of a French interview with Ford.
Old 09-10-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's worth noting that the original 1928 Movietone music/effects track for Four Sons exists. The soundtrack has been noted as being innovative in sound design for its time. Fox needs to include it if its not too late. UCLA has a nitrate 35mm with it.
Old 09-10-07, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by dman988
I own his classic films and content with just that
I can think of only one truly bad feature film that Ford ever made (Wings of Eagles). Most of the rest are classics in my book.
Old 09-12-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

wonder how those disc are holding on in that big box
Old 09-12-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RevKarl
Since I already own 25% of the films in this box set, I think I'll take a pass, but, then again, if it shows up in Amazon's Gold Box at 50% off...
I'm looking at this thing and realizing that the DD 20% off sale price would be around $168 shipped. That's assuming that their regular price is 30% off retail... if it's less, the deal gets even better.

If I don't see a better deal before the (presumed) June '08 sale, I have a feeling the set will be mine then.
Old 09-12-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ambassador
I can think of only one truly bad feature film that Ford ever made (Wings of Eagles). Most of the rest are classics in my book.
The Wings Of Eagles may not have been Ford at his best, but it was certainly one of John Wayne's greatest acting roles of his long career. Asked to portray a man paralyzed, and also a man aging from college days to senior days. Did you know that Spig Wead was the only role Wayne ever palyed sans wig? This movie is certainly head-and-shoulders above what lie ahead for Ford in the 1960s. Movies like Two Rode Together and Stg. Rutledge were well below Ford's normal standard of greatness.

This all being said, I certainly will be pre-ordering this fantastic set come November.
Old 09-12-07, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Falc04
but it was certainly one of John Wayne's greatest acting roles of his long career. Asked to portray a man paralyzed, and also a man aging from college days to senior days.

This movie is certainly head-and-shoulders above what lie ahead for Ford in the 1960s. Movies like Two Rode Together and Stg. Rutledge were well below Ford's normal standard of greatness.
I disagree with both assertions. I don't find Wayne particularly convincing doing the young-man-to-old-man biopic routine. He was capable of much better: Red River, The Searchers, The Shootist, etc.

I'd actually take any of Ford's 1960's work over this overly sentimental mess. Rutledge may not be a particularly good movie, but it's still interesting to see Ford experimenting with narrative structure and racial politics. And I think that Two Rode Together is a minor masterpiece -- or at least Ford's most underrated post-WWII movie. Heck, even Donovan's Reef is more successful than Wings of Eagles in its comedy.

I guess I just find Wings more or less unwatchable. It's got to be one of the worst movies ever made by a great master.
Old 09-26-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bumped to keep interest.
Old 09-27-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think several people are interested, but I think the high price tag is going to steer clear alot of people who would want to check this out. Don't get me wrong, Its not overly steep for all of the content that comes with it, but Its not something that alot of film fans are just going to drop on a whim like they would for even a 2o dollar film they may have heard about but aren't familiar with.

I think Fox knows this, and this is a pet project that needed to be pushed through. I'll be happy to own it, and look forward to some great discussion when the set arrives.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.