Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'District B13' (HD DVD)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'District B13' (HD DVD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-07, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Talk review of 'District B13'

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of District B13 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28884 and...

I thought it was a great review. The only thing I want to point out is that there is no French TrueHD track on the disc. It states there is on the back cover but it's not on the disc.
Old 06-29-07, 12:28 PM
Defunct Account

You're right Dkny75. I just checked and the back of the case is wrong, the French track is DD+ EX. I've changed my review. Thanks for pointing that out!

John
Old 06-29-07, 09:12 PM

John, I would like to comment on this part of your review:

The English dub is pretty awful. Most of the anime dubs done today are significantly better. The lip synching is off in much of the film and it's hard to forget that you're watching a dub.
While I have not heard the English dub of this film, I have to object to your statement that "most of the anime dubs done today are significantly better". Most of the best dubs I have heard in the last few years have been English dubs to live action films.

I hope it's just a case that you have not heard them and mostly watch anime shows, so your scope is limited.

BTW, I enjoy reading your reviews.

Last edited by The Running Man; 06-29-07 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 11:22 AM

Regarding this excerpt from your review:
the only subtitles in English are for the hearing impaired. That means that on screen noises and sound effects are also included in the subs, which is a bit annoying. I am astonished that Magnolia didn't include just straight English subtitles. That would have made the viewing experience much more enjoyable and that lack of foresight accounts for the low audio score.
I would have to disagree with giving the title a low audio score solely on that account. In my experience, it's not that common for a company to include both English and English for the Hearing Impaired but historically you'd get one or the other. Now most of my experience has been based on DVD since I am very new to HD-DVD (and even newer to foreign film on HD-DVD) so maybe things will change for the new format as I agree both would be ideal.

However, I have a close relative who is deaf and if I had to choose one over the other, I'd take an English for the Hearing Impaired track every time. For a majority of DVDs I've watched with her, the only option has been the straight English subtitles which are insufficient so instead I was forced to use the Closed Caption of the TV which covers a majority of the screen with the black backgrounded text but includes the added environmental cues.
What may be a minor annoyance for you is necessary for others and since the hearing impaired subs are a superset of the straight subs, no information is lost and they are a welcome sight on this title and one I may now look into.
Old 07-02-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
I would have to disagree with giving the title a low audio score solely on that account. In my experience, it's not that common for a company to include both English and English for the Hearing Impaired but historically you'd get one or the other. Now most of my experience has been based on DVD since I am very new to HD-DVD
It's actually pretty much standard practice on HD DVD and Blu-ray to include both standard English subtitles and English captions for the hearing impaired.

However, I have a close relative who is deaf and if I had to choose one over the other, I'd take an English for the Hearing Impaired track every time.
But would you feel that way if you weren't watching with a deaf person?

What may be a minor annoyance for you is necessary for others and since the hearing impaired subs are a superset of the straight subs, no information is lost and they are a welcome sight on this title and one I may now look into.
John isn't arguing that they should take away the captions, just that standard English subtitles should also be provided. The sound effects captions are a real annoyance for people who aren't deaf.
Old 07-03-07, 12:49 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by The Running Man
While I have not heard the English dub of this film, I have to object to your statement that "most of the anime dubs done today are significantly better". Most of the best dubs I have heard in the last few years have been English dubs to live action films
My point, that I'll admit I didn't state well, was that if even lowly anime dubs sound better, this is a really bad dub. I wasn't slamming live action dubs, just this one.
Old 07-03-07, 12:54 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
I would have to disagree with giving the title a low audio score solely on that account.
The low audio score was for the fact that the English dub was badly acted and because there wasn't straight subtitles. Josh is right, I'm all for Hearing Impared Captions, but I'd like the option of not having to use them. With a movie that was made in a language other than English, they should include both. I was really disappointed that there was only one option on this disc.