Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ratatouille (Discussion, Reviews, etc.)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Ratatouille in theaters, tomorrow, I wanted to start the official Ratatouille discussion thread. Post your thoughts, reviews, and other relevant information.

MSN Movies has a 2-page look back at Pixar's history and past films. It's a very interesting read. Make sure to check it out!

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/pixar?GT1=7707

Also, here is the link to the previous Ratatouille Sneak Peek thread.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=503751
Old 06-28-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is the link to the DVDTalk.com review of Ratatouille, which states that it is "no less than a triumph!"

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28886

Another DVDTalk.com review, which is very positive.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28891

Here is the link to Rotentomatoes.com, which currently has Ratatouille listed at 90% Fresh!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ratatouille/

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 06-28-07 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-28-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Saw it at the sneak and loved it. I'll be seeing it again this weekend on a DLP screen.

It's not often I'm excited about seeing a movie a second time.
Old 06-28-07, 10:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This, along with Black Snake Moan and Daywatch, is one of the three best films released this year so far.
Old 06-29-07, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty good movie. A couple idiotic moments, but overall, a successful effort. The success of the TV Food Network and ideas like it finally hit the big screen in animation form; although, I doubt rats will be anymore excepted in food establishments after this film.

A-/B+
Old 06-29-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After 17 reviews at Metacritic, Ratatouille stands as Pixar's best critically received film with a score of 94. Previous Pixar champs were The Incredibles (90) and Finding Nemo (89).
Old 06-29-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully will see this this weekend. The Fargo Theater is also playing Iron Giant on Tuesday, so I might try to get to that too.
Old 06-29-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

wow.. from the previews it doesnt look interesting... is this more serious then funny
Old 06-29-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's better than the previews (IMO). Unlike other trailers, they didn't put the best stuff out.

Typical Pixar.... more funny than serious.
Old 06-29-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
For those who missed A.O.Scott's orgasm in today's New York Times:

The moral of "Ratatouille" is delivered by a critic: a gaunt, unsmiling fellow named Anton Ego who composes his acidic notices in a coffin-shaped room and who speaks in the parched baritone of Peter O'Toole. "Not everyone can be a great artist," Mr. Ego muses. "But a great artist can come from anywhere."

Quite so. Written and directed by Brad Bird and displaying the usual meticulousness associated with the Pixar brand, "Ratatouille" is a nearly flawless piece of popular art, as well as one of the most persuasive portraits of an artist ever committed to film. It provides the kind of deep, transporting pleasure, at once simple and sophisticated, that movies at their best have always promised.
Old 06-29-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this on Cartoon Brew:

I was talking to my good friend Victor Haboush yesterday and he had an endorsement for Ratatouille that I just had to share. He says, and I quote, “It’s the best animated film since Pinocchio.” That’s a pretty bold statement but Vic is somebody whose taste I trust. And that’s not just because he’s worked on classics like Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians. Or because he worked on Brad Bird’s first feature The Iron Giant (and which he doesn’t share the same enthusiasm for as he does Bird’s latest). It’s because Vic knows what he’s talking about and because he’s always frank about what he thinks of things. If Vic says it’s good, then it probably is.
Old 06-29-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Beyond the stunning animation (they finally got hair right!), there’s little to recommend besides the fact that it’s a touch better than Shrek the Third. - Jason Ferguson, Orlando Weekly
Old 06-29-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's nice that out of the whopping 5 negative reviews on RottenTomatoes, 2 of them are from my city: Orlando. Nice to see our critics are so out of touch with reality.
Old 06-29-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Tivo downloaded a 9 minute preview for Ratatouille a couple weeks ago. It is not a trailer, but more like first nine minutes of the movie. Pretty good, IMO.
Old 06-29-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Awesome, just awesome. I went this morning, want to see it again as soon as possible. Time to check out cartoonbrew.
Old 06-29-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My review:

My sister, my nephew, and I just returned home from seeing Ratatouille! I must say, I LOVED it! It is such a charming film, it doesn't have all the stupid crude humor, pop culture references, and gags that more recent CG animated films have, and for that, I am really impressed. It has a great story, the voice cast is excellent (there wasn't a bad one in the bunch!), and the animation is spectacular! I saw this with a packed theater, consisting mainly of children with their parents. The children seemed to really enjoy it. In fact, they were laughing at moments that I thought only the adults would get. Of course, they were all captivated by the many action sequences spread throughout. Oh, and the best part, in my opinion, was
Spoiler:
when the health inspector showed up, and saw all of the rats in the kitchen. The rats go after him, as he tries to escape in his car, and they catch him, tie him up, and throw him in the walk-in fridge! Later, they get Skinner, and throw him in, as well!
Talk about the whole theater cracking up! The score is terrific, the film flows well, and doesn't have anything that slows it down. A real winner! This film is very classic, and reminds me of some of the earlier Disney films. It's got such a magic about it. I can't describe it, but, I really enjoyed it. I believe I'll be making a return trip to see this! Having said that, I can't compose a ranking of these films. I love them all! Pixar hasn't made a bad film, in my opinion, and Ratatouille is another jewel in their crown.

I liked the short, Lifted. It was quite funny. Maybe not their best short, but, far from being a bad one. Seeing the teaser for WALL-E on the big screen gave me chills! I can't wait to learn more about it, and of course, to see it.

My nephew became a little restless (he's only two), but, during the action scenes, he was certainly captivated. There were a couple of moments that he looked over at me with a big smile, and said, "Ratatouille!", and laughed. My sister said she liked it, but, not as much as Finding Nemo and Cars. Those happen to be my nephews favorites. She said Ratatouille was more adult than she imagined.

At any rate, I HIGHLY recommend this film. It's a great film, for the entire family, and adults will certainly enjoy it. Especially the cooks in the family! Ratatouille is a tasty dish, and should be shared with everyone you know!
Old 06-29-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I saw this on Cartoon Brew:

I was talking to my good friend Victor Haboush yesterday and he had an endorsement for Ratatouille that I just had to share. He says, and I quote, “It’s the best animated film since Pinocchio.” That’s a pretty bold statement but Vic is somebody whose taste I trust. And that’s not just because he’s worked on classics like Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians. Or because he worked on Brad Bird’s first feature The Iron Giant (and which he doesn’t share the same enthusiasm for as he does Bird’s latest). It’s because Vic knows what he’s talking about and because he’s always frank about what he thinks of things. If Vic says it’s good, then it probably is.
You can't get a better endorsement that that. Awesome.
Old 06-29-07, 07:59 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I liked this better than cars and monsters inc. Finding Nemo was a little better. I thought the short before the film was underwhelming.
Old 06-29-07, 11:36 PM
Cool New Member

Saw it during the sneak preview and thought it was good but not the masterpiece that everyone makes it out to be
Old 06-29-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a wonderful film! It's very funny, and very creative, and surprisingly sophisticated.

And the animation is absolutely stunning.

If I have one minor complaint, the pacing of the film did seem a bit... Strange. But after a little while I got used to it and found myself completely drawn in to the beautiful world the filmmakers have created.

I have to see it again, but I think this may be up there with Pixar's best.

Last edited by Sondheim; 06-30-07 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-30-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't think it ranks with The Incredibles or Toy Story at this point, but a very good movie... It definitely has a classic Disney feel to it, and I think overtime may very well rank with those films. I know this, I hope it comes out on BD when the initial release comes out on dvd because it is a must own.
Old 06-30-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The animation in Ratatouille was crisp and amazing, loved every frame of it. The story was also engaging and kept my attention, providing many laughs and a good moral to boot. It took me a little while to get into the character of Linguini (the garbageboy who can't cook), but Remy (the rat cook) was so adorably sympathetic and fun to watch. The pacing was well done for its running time, and doesn't overstay its welcome at all.

I give it 4 stars, or a grade of A. (in restaurant grading, it'd get 5 stars)

Last edited by Patman; 06-30-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-30-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It's nice that out of the whopping 5 negative reviews on RottenTomatoes, 2 of them are from my city: Orlando. Nice to see our critics are so out of touch with reality.
They hate Disney!
Old 06-30-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Just got back from this. Saw a late show and the theatre was full of adults. A lot of clapping, cheering, booing, awes, etc. I thought the movie was a bit overlong and poorly paced: at 110 minutes, it feels bloated.

But -- it's good! It's very good. It has a lot of humor and the final 20 minutes are pure bliss. I was literally on the edge of my seat. I would rank it above all other Pixar films except Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles.

Please, do not see this movie hungry. Go during the day so when the movie is done you still have some hope to go out to eat.
Old 07-01-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it at the sneak peek June 16th and loved it. The story, voices & animation are all right at the top of Pixar's best. If this movie gets a one disc treatment like CARS it will be a crime. This deserves the usual Pixar loaded, 2 disc dvd treatment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.