Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best price for Farscape volumes?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 06-28-07, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing some looking around and haven't been able to find a good price on Farscape, except for Volumes 1,2, and 4 from Best Buy. I heard that they re-released Seasons 1 and 2 due to quality issues, so I want to know what is a good place to buy them, and are the BB ones, the new or old Starburst Editions?

If anyone has any advice or a good price, drop a line please.

Thanks
Old 06-28-07, 06:07 PM

Bump!
Old 06-28-07, 06:14 PM

The re-release you are talking about was ADV switching the 2-Disc flipper disc sets with the 4-disc sets. I bought the 3 volumes you mentioned from Best Buy and received the 4-disc sets. I also ordered several from Amazon and always got the 4-disc sets, so I am guessing that most retailers are currently stocking the 4-disc re-releases. But that doesn't mean that you might still get unlucky and received a 2-disc flipper.

As for as good deals, I am afraid I can't be of much help to you there. ADV had a sale on them directly from their store last holiday season, so you could always check there from time to time to see if it gets repeated.
Old 06-28-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I had the original S1 & S2 sets and had been on the look-out for a decent price for S3/S4. Never materialized.

When I saw the 4/disc info about the BB ones you mentioned, I ordered those. They took a while, but did eventually come in. Of course, those were the Starburst editions.

With that & the Google GCO offerings, I started "filling in" my Starburst collection with orders from DVDEmpire and/or DVDPlanet - whichever was cheaper. Each 4/disc then ended up being $7-$10 each - 1 per order. I barely finished getting them all before GCO started cutting me off.

If you have enough "friends", maybe you can also?
Old 06-29-07, 07:36 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm missing 3 of the Starburst editions, and they seem to be out-of-print!
Old 06-29-07, 07:41 AM

I am still waiting on a full reasonably priced complete series set. All these separate releases are so confusing, I really don't know what ones to get.
Old 06-29-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Calmuser
I am still waiting on a full reasonably priced complete series set. All these separate releases are so confusing, I really don't know what ones to get.
Get all the starbursts.
A complete series set is pretty unlikely.

Not impossible, but unlikely
Old 06-29-07, 09:28 AM

Unfortunately, you just missed out as ADV had them on sale for $12 plus shipping less than two weeks ago. I picked up several and they were the four disc sets. I believe the current cheapest price is DVDPacific.
Old 06-29-07, 11:15 AM

The only one I'm missing is Season 2 Collection 2. Can anyone confirm ADV and/or DVDPacific are shipping the 4 disc version of that particular set?
Old 06-29-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
I hate I mentioned that I hate ADV lately?
660 dollars buying these all individually right when they came out

41 DVDs in 26 sets (plus the movie)
Old 06-29-07, 11:28 AM

I can confirm that ADV shipped me the 4 disc set for Season 2.2 (their shipping seems to be a flat $9 even if you are only buying 1 item- so the price is really high). On a positive note the sale is back on and you can get many of the Starburst sets for $12 (some are $14)

Link to Sale and Starburst editions

Last edited by grham09; 06-29-07 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-29-07, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone point me to a place that has Starburst 1.3 in stock? I've been waiting almost a month for one that I ordered at Amazon Marketplace, but that never showed up and was issued a refund yesterday. I haven't been able to find one anywhere else. I don't even care if it is the 2-disc edition (4-disc would be nice though). I just want it so I can complete the set. Thanks
Old 06-29-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I hate I mentioned that I hate ADV lately?
660 dollars buying these all individually right when they came out
They are still way overpriced as starbursts, but that is crazy. (and you didn't even get all the extras right?)
Old 06-29-07, 11:41 AM

The Starbursts have all the Extra's plus new ones (including Commentary tracks) as far as I know. Half my sets Seasons 1-2 are the two disc the other half 3-4 are the four disc.
Old 06-29-07, 12:10 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the DVDTalk review of the first Starburst edition:

Since Farscape has already been released on DVD once, the question you might be asking is, "What is this Starburst Edition?" Basically, it's a good idea: the way the Farscape DVDs should have been released in the first place. (But hey, better late than never!) It's a slim two-DVD set that contains the show's first seven episodes, plus a pile of special features... which means it's both a whole lot more affordable and a whole lot more convenient to store than the first method of release, which consisted of eleven (yes, eleven!) sets containing just two episodes each.
Old 06-29-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DDD was shipping only the newer four disc Starburst sets last Fall, so I'd be surprised if the problematic two disc sets are still available from any major retailer. [I had two of the old sets, both defective, and had to have them replaced by ADV. But I bought them more than a year ago.]

As for the best price, the lowest I have seen was when DDD was having the 20% off sale ($13.42, shipped). There should be another such sale in November, for those willing to wait. Otherwise, DVD Pacific seems least expensive at present, like grham09 said. But at $16.39 shipped, they aren't "cheap". [Edit: the ADV link grham09 posted above is certainly a good deal if the shipping really is a flat $9 and one wants them all. I wonder if ADV is clearing them out for a new release?]

On a related topic, the hubs in some of my four disc cases are damaged. I have been unable to find any four disc replacement cases in the correct width. If anyone has any idea where to get such a thing, I'd like to hear it.

One more comment: the Farscape DVDs are among the best looking SD DVDs I have ever seen when upscaled on a big screen HD display. For all the problems they had with the two disc DVD-18 sets, ADV did one of the best mastering jobs I have ever seen in TV on DVD. It's not true high definition, of course, but it is damn close.

Last edited by lizard; 06-29-07 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most places give you the 4 discs now, unless they have old stock. I recieved one poor 2 disc set and was able to return it to ADV for a replacement, but it took a long time.
Old 06-29-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Drahksenzu
The Starbursts have all the Extra's plus new ones (including Commentary tracks) as far as I know.
Are you sure about that? I thought the jury was still out on this "drenload" of features.
Old 06-29-07, 01:42 PM

I bought mine from ADV a long time ago. Ended up getting the Starburst editions when they sold all 3 sets for 1 price. It was worth the cost though. One of the best TV series of all time.
Old 06-29-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 627 Likes on 460 Posts
I, like many others, purchased volumes 1, 2, and 4 (Officially that is really Starburst 1.1, 1.2, and 2.1) from Best Buy. They are the 4 disk versions. I purchased the rest, except 4.1, from DD during 20% off sales. I got 4.1 from Amazon as it was always shown to be out of stock at DD, DVDPlanet, and FamilyVideo. One day Amazon put it on "sale" and I jumped on it fearing a perpetual OOS situation elsewhere would eventually flow into Amazon leaving a permanent hole in my collection.

Bad news:
Farscape Starburst 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 are OOP and as such may be difficult to locate. ADV does not list season 1 on their site in ANY form. I expect 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 to go OOP any time now based on the status of season 1.
Best Buy currently shows all 3 season 1 sets as backordered which is not good.
FamilyVideo also shows the season 1 sets as backordered.

Good news:
DD has 2.1, 2.3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.2, and 4.3 at $16.77 each.
DVDPlanet shows 3.1, 4.2, and 4.3 in stock at $15.95 each. They list some others but they've been out of stock for a looooonnng time.
FamilyVideo has a few for $16.69 but I would only trust 3.2, 4.1, and 4.3 as the others are listed as the 2 disk versions or no disk information is given. I emailed them once about the descriptions and they replied "it is 2 disk as listed". I really doubt they are, but it's a gamble I was unwilling to take. Seasons 3 & 4 of the Starburst editions were only released in the 4 disk version.

You might be able to still use a $5 off coupon for 1st time buyers at Familyvideo. It was reported to still be working on 6/4/07. Here's the thread that tells all about it:
$5 off $5 @ Familyvideo.com .99 ship any order

While I've not ordered any Farscape from FamilyVideo I have used them for a couple of other purchases and had no problems.

And as some others have indicated, ADV currently has ALL of Seasons 2, and 3 listed for $12 each, and all of season 4 listed for $14 each. As ADV replaced the 2 disk versions with 4 disk versions and offered a replacement program, I would trust that you would only get the 4 disk versions if ordering from them. However... here is the text that you get when you start the checkout process:

"Products offered through this sale are clearance and close-out items. As such, product bar codes will be reconfigured, replaced or physically altered (including by means of cutting, punching or drilling). Some products may be open box. Some products may be delivered without full retail packaging. Except as expressly provided otherwise, products are sold as-is."

So... These could be cut-outs. While the price is good for 3 seasons ($114 plus $13 shipping) you are taking somewhat of a chance.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-29-07 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 09:30 PM

Perhaps the OOP of the first season indicates that maybe they are re-releasing it as full season sarburst sets. Perhaps even a full series set like Andromeda since that title comes from ADV as well?
Old 06-30-07, 12:58 AM

I emailed them a long time ago, before I bought the regular Starburst sets and they told me there were no plans to release them as box sets. Of course, never say never, but you know.

Amazon.uk has a box-set of the show.
Old 06-30-07, 12:59 AM

It is incredibly expensive though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Farscape-Ult...3183141&sr=8-1
Old 06-30-07, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Most places give you the 4 discs now, unless they have old stock. I recieved one poor 2 disc set and was able to return it to ADV for a replacement, but it took a long time.
I've been waiting for something like 4 months for my replacement set.
Old 06-30-07, 03:12 PM

It hasn't been officially announced yet, but Sony has taken over Farscape's season 1 DVD rights, with the other seasons presumably to follow. That's why ADV are no longer offering season 1 in any form and seem to be trying to clear the rest of their season 2, 3, and 4 stock (Starbursts at $12 and original volumes for $9). The only store still carrying season 1 Starbursts in stock is Exyte, but only when you buy the whole series ($290 USD, free shipping to the U.S. and Canada). Even on eBay, any season 1 Starbursts that come up go for over $100 for the season.

I'm assuming Sony will eventually re-issue the whole series, or at least season 1, but it may take a while. There's a letter campaign to encourage them here. Apparently even NetFlix doesn't have season 1 anymore, so maybe if there's enough demand they'll hurry up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.