Reload this Page >

Will there ever be a Halloween box set?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-28-07, 12:25 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there are rumors of a 30th anniversary special edition, but does anyone know what it will consist of? I'd love to have some SE's of H2 and H3 in a boxset with all the other Halloweens. Any word?

Last edited by Muddy Shores; 06-28-07 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-28-07, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Muddy Shores
I know there are rumors of a 30th anniversary special edition, but does anyone know what it will consist of? I'd love to have some SE's of H2 and H3 in a boxset with all the other Halloweens. Any word?
There will most likely never be a Halloween DVD box set of all eight films in region 1. Anchor Bay has parts 1, 4, and 5. Universal has parts 2 and 3. Dimension has parts 6, 7, and 8. Honestly, I couldn't care less about a box set. All I want is for parts 6 and 7 to be released with 16x9 enhanced transfers.
Old 06-28-07, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was already a box in the UK and Germany as well.
Old 06-28-07, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm personally ok with there not being a box set of all the Halloween films since there is such a galactic drop in quality after the third film. It basically goes from a movie in Halloween III that, in spite of it's shift away from the franchise core, was still a well executed film to the rest of the series until H20 that turned into sub-B movie schlock. Just God-awful and for me basically unwatchable shite IMHO. At least with H20 there was an attempt to get back within shouting distance of the John Carpenter zip code of quality.

BTW, no slam on anyone who enjoys the post-HIII, pre-H20 films. I have plenty of guilty pleasures in my collection.
Old 06-28-07, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
I'm personally ok with there not being a box set of all the Halloween films since there is such a galactic drop in quality after the third film. It basically goes from a movie in Halloween III that, in spite of it's shift away from the franchise core, was still a well executed film to the rest of the series until H20 that turned into sub-B movie schlock. Just God-awful and for me basically unwatchable shite IMHO. At least with H20 there was an attempt to get back within shouting distance of the John Carpenter zip code of quality.

BTW, no slam on anyone who enjoys the post-HIII, pre-H20 films. I have plenty of guilty pleasures in my collection.
No offense taken. Even though I like parts 5 and 6 and find them entertaining, there is indeed a major drop in quality in those two films. Some of it is just embarrassingly bad such as the stupid cops in part 5 accompanied by that stupid circus clown music. As much as I admire the late Moustapha Akkad, he should have known better and not included that. In fact the really only good thing Halloween 5 had going for it was that it retained some very good actors from part 4. Donald Pleasence, Danielle Harris, Ellie Cornell, and Beau Starr. Part 6 was a huge mess. First, Danielle Harris should not have been replaced, nor should her character, Jamie Lloyd, have been killed. Donald Pleasence was a joy to have back, but he was just a shell of his former self. Notice how extremely frail he had gotten since Halloween 5, just six years earlier. (1989-1995) The producer's cut would be interesting to see if it weren't for one thing. It is revealed that Myers is the father of Jamie's baby. That doesn't sit right with me. It takes Michael Myers completely out of context. He doesn't have sex, he just kills.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why some people don't like Halloween 4 though. I think it's on par with Halloween II as one of the best sequels.
Old 06-28-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love a boxset of all the Halloween films especially if they do it right and give us extras, new transfers etc. but im not holding my breath for that.
Old 06-28-07, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
There was already a box in the UK and Germany as well.
If I am not mistaken the Halloween box set and others including the Friday The 13th box sets, Phantasm box sets, etc are ALL bootlegs and not legit releases...
Old 06-28-07, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
If I am not mistaken the Halloween box set and others including the Friday The 13th box sets, Phantasm box sets, etc are ALL bootlegs and not legit releases...
There probably is a few bootlegs around but there was a legitimate boxset released from Anchor Bay I believe in the UK

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/18203...t/Product.html
Old 06-28-07, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joel Goodsen
There probably is a few bootlegs around but there was a legitimate boxset released from Anchor Bay I believe in the UK

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/18203...t/Product.html
I just can't see how this set is possible, Anchor Bay does not own the rights to all of the movies. Do dvd companies get special rights to movies they don't own to sell overseas?
Old 06-28-07, 11:42 AM

I just can't see how this set is possible, Anchor Bay does not own the rights to all of the movies. Do dvd companies get special rights to movies they don't own to sell overseas?
Rest assured it is possible. In the UK, Anchor Bay have licenced Halloween II, and III from M.I.A. (not Universal in this country), Halloween's 6, 7 and 8 from Disney for sale in the boxset only, not individually though.

It's more common here for companies to join forces to put sequels etc. together for release, Pathe/Sony for Resident Evil, Fox/Disney for Die Hard and so on.
Old 06-28-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even through it's doubtful that it will happen for all, I really hope that these studio's will come together & release all 8 Halloween movies in one mega DVD collection.
Since the remake or re-imagining as it is being described as is coming out on the 31st of August I think that after it is finished it's run at the theatres & headed for DVD they should maybe think about release ALL then 9 Halloween films & I think it would sell extremely well.
I really loved the Friday the 13th-Ult. edition Mega DVD set (even through it still was missing footage-you know what I'm talking about) that was released by Paramount.
I liked the The Chucky Collection but I wish that Universal & MGM could have got together so the first Child's play was included in the set. I bought the DVD by itself naturally but It would have been cool to have it in one complete set.
Anyways I hope these studio's can just get together for fuck sake and give the people what they want.
Old 06-28-07, 01:26 PM

There does seem to be an issue in the US where no one likes to back down when it comes to joining forces for DVD releases.

The 60's Batman TV series, hello, Warner and Fox, get talking. MGM/Universal for Child's Play, Starz/Disney for Hellraiser and Children of the Corn...

...The list just goes on.
Old 06-28-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
Even through it's doubtful that it will happen for all, I really hope that these studio's will come together & release all 8 Halloween movies in one mega DVD collection.
Since the remake or re-imagining as it is being described as is coming out on the 31st of August I think that after it is finished it's run at the theatres & headed for DVD they should maybe think about release ALL then 9 Halloween films & I think it would sell extremely well.
I really loved the Friday the 13th-Ult. edition Mega DVD set (even through it still was missing footage-you know what I'm talking about) that was released by Paramount.
I liked the The Chucky Collection but I wish that Universal & MGM could have got together so the first Child's play was included in the set. I bought the DVD by itself naturally but It would have been cool to have it in one complete set.
Anyways I hope these studio's can just get together for fuck sake and give the people what they want.
Well, I wouldn't hold your breath for the studios coming to an agreement (in the US anyway).

Oh well. Honestly, Halloween is the only one in the series that I enjoy, so it's not something that keeps me awake at night (I've got plenty of other reasons for that).

In a slightly different direction, I do think that Halloween will get yet ANOTHER special edition release (afterall, it IS an Anchor Bay release; plus when you consider the extra footage that was found last year, it seems like a no brainer). I just hope that when it happens, Anchor Bay goes the Dawn Of The Dead route, or WB's Blade Runner route, releasing a multi-disc set with all the features from both the Limited Edition and the 25th Anniversary Edition (with the THX master prefered over the Divimax), so I don't need three copies to have all the extras. >_>

I can't speak about the Phantasm box sets, but overseas, the Halloween box set is legit (it just can't be released in the US). As far as the Friday The 13th movies go, there's a box set in the US with the first 8 films (seeing as Paramount owns the rights to all of them). However, Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X, and Freddy Vs. Jason are owned by New Line, and as a result, are not in the box set.

Last edited by MTRodaba2468; 07-01-07 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-29-07, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, but you ARE mistaken. Maybe I imagined a German box though. I think I was thinking of the Perfect Collection boxset.

I have anamorphic editions of all films and am happy with that. I wouldn't buy a boxset at this point.
Old 06-29-07, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a series that deserves, minimum, 14 discs.

And that's only due to the multiple cuts for the various films that exist.
Old 06-29-07, 06:00 PM

I would love all the 80s horror series to get decent DVD releases, I am still waiting on a long list of slashers to just get released, let alone SE's. We need a few more studios like Anchor Bay...Sorry... "Starz"
Old 06-29-07, 08:41 PM

Old 06-29-07, 11:48 PM

I just can't see how this set is possible

This has been discussed here lots of time. Now OOP in the UK. Just because they don't sell it at your local Target doesn't mean there's isn't a world outside.

Reviews of Halloween DVDs here in Region 2.