Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Bruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band: Live in Dublin' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Bruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band: Live in Dublin' (Blu-ray)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 10:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Talk review of 'Bruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band: Live in Dublin'

I read Daniel Hirshleifer's DVD review of Bruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band: Live in Dublin at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28757 and... I HATE THE REVIEWER! IF YOU HATE BRUCE THEN STAY AWAY!
Old 06-27-07, 05:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had no idea Bruce Springsteen posted here. You learn something new every day, I guess.

Edit: Next time, try reading the whole review. I gave the disc a very fair shake.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-27-07 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-27-07, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm a big Bruce Springsteen fan, and I thought that you were mostly fair of your assessment in your review. I'm not saying I agree, since I haven't seen the DVD, but I thought you were *mostly* fair.

I think it's good you admit your bias in the first paragraph, so we know where you're coming from--every reviewer has some bias, that's just human, so good for telling us what it is up front.

I do have some problems with some of the stuff you said though. You say,

And then you throw in his insipid "rock anthems" like "Born In The USA," which are simplistic to the point of actively draining the intelligence of the listener....

Now, I'm not sure that you've (mis)interpreted that song as many did when it was popular. It's not a flag-waving, rah-rah, go America! go America! song. It's about a Vietnam vet who has returned home and finds himself feeling like he's come home to less than hero's welcome after he had served his country. I wouldn't call it simplistic. If you feel it's "insipid", well, that's more your call, but I don't think it's simplistic.

If you were already aware of what the song is about, then perhaps you don't agree with his politics, and I wish you had just said that (if that's the case).

I also take some exception with you calling him "the 'Steen." It's fine that you don't like him, but inventing a somewhat childish nickname for him and repeating it ad nauseum, in my opinion, goes a bit far.

Other than that, I have no *huge* problem with what you said. I think part of what some people might be objecting to is that you call one of his songs "simplistic" and "insipid." At this point, you go from saying you don't like Springsteen, to implying his fans themselves are stupid and "simplistic", having had their "intelligence" "drain[ed]."

You also say at one point that you are trying to be objective because some people "will actually want to watch this." This expression of incredulity could be insulting. It's one thing to say that you don't like an artist, but it seems that you don't want to respect those who do.

That's all....
Old 06-27-07, 05:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you for actually taking the time to write out what you thought of the review.