Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So-called "Official Mainland China" releases of US, UK and CA TV Shows?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Often on ebay, I will see cheap listings for US, UK or CA TV shows that are being billed as "non-bootleg, official mainland China release".

Is there any site to find info on these so-called official releases, or a reputable on-line etailer of such items?

Thanks,
-Kyle
Old 06-24-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
They're all bootlegs, regardless of what the listing says.
Old 06-24-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not only are they bootlegs, they are generally substandard quality. Don't buy them.
Old 06-26-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about the VCDs? Are those bootlegs too sometimes? Eventhough, I don't buy VCDs, Im just curious if they sell bootlegs of VCDs. In Chinatown DVD/CD stores, they got probably even more stuff on VCD than DVD...
Old 06-26-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
What about the VCDs? Are those bootlegs too sometimes?
Yes, quite often. VCDs are even easier to bootleg than DVDs.

In fact, does anyone even still release legitimate VCDs anymore?
Old 06-26-07, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Yes, quite often. VCDs are even easier to bootleg than DVDs.

In fact, does anyone even still release legitimate VCDs anymore?

Yup. Still some to be found in China. On account of being so much cheaper than dvd.

Last edited by Alkaline; 06-26-07 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-26-07, 10:52 AM

Also, as far as the notion of mainland China releases of U.S., UK, etc. shows inherently being bootlegs--I kind of doubt it. It seems logical to me that there would indeed be some official mainland releases of at least some such shows. There are official mainland China releases of tons of american films...why not tv shows? I'm not huge into tv on dvd, but that's my guess. My advice, Kyle, would be to check sites like hkflix.com, sensasian.com, yesasia.com, etc. and see if some of these mainland releases pop up there. Ebay is definitely full of bootlegs, but not everything is a bootleg. You just have to do some research on a given item first, is all. Many people have (understandably) written of Ebay entirely for dvds--particularly product from Asia--on account of not wanting to deal with the bootleg situation, but there's plenty of authentic stuff to be had.

Last edited by Alkaline; 06-26-07 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-26-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alkaline
Also, as far as the notion of mainland China releases of U.S., UK, etc. shows inherently being bootlegs--I kind of doubt it. It seems logical to me that there would indeed be some official mainland releases of at least some such shows. There are official mainland China releases of tons of american films...why not tv shows?
If these were legitimate studio releases of American shows, they'd be region coded for the territory of release. The stuff on eBay isn't region coded. They're bootlegs.

Although there are some Asian films and TV shows released by Asian studios without region coding, the American rights holders to American movies and shows would not license their content to a foreign distributor without contractually insisting on region coding. Every region-all DVD box set sold on eBay to an American customer undercuts the sales of the legitimate Region 1 studio release.

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-26-07 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-26-07, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by kyle
Often on ebay, I will see cheap listings for US, UK or CA TV shows that are being billed as "non-bootleg, official mainland China release".

Is there any site to find info on these so-called official releases, or a reputable on-line etailer of such items?

Thanks,
-Kyle
Here is an example of a seemingly (since I don't own it) legit series, region coded, from Warner Home Video, who until recently had a joint venture in China with a chain of movie theatres.

http://www.buyoyo.com/cgi-bin/ncomme...AGE=1&curr=USD

Now, obviously, there is nothing to stop a bootlegger from copying, stripping the region coding and repackaging it, then mass producing and selling it cheaply. But that's a function for eBay.

Lots of Korean version R3 TV series here
http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/

For mainland releases you might try joyo.com or dangdang.com or cnave.com

Last edited by dleedlee; 06-26-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-26-07, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
If these were legitimate studio releases of American shows, they'd be region coded for the territory of release. The stuff on eBay isn't region coded. They're bootlegs.

Although there are some Asian films and TV shows released by Asian studios without region coding, the American rights holders to American movies and shows would not license their content to a foreign distributor without contractually insisting on region coding. Every region-all DVD box set sold on eBay to an American customer undercuts the sales of the legitimate Region 1 studio release.
I didn't realize the ones he encountered on ebay were all R0. If it's American content, foreign releases will virtually always be region coded, that's true.
Old 06-26-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alkaline
I didn't realize the ones he encountered on ebay were all R0.
Pretty much all "Asian Collector Edition" TV on DVD box sets found on eBay are region-all bootlegs.

If the price sounds too good to be true and the listing says region-free, it's a bootleg almost 100% of the time.