Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does "The Matrix" Still Hold Up For You?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After eight years, I'm just curious what some think about the original film? After spawning parodies, special effects trickery, and even more wirework in action flicks, do you still enjoy the movie like you once did, or does it now feel a little bit old/silly?

Also, I'm curious to know if anyone knows of someone who never liked the film?
Old 06-24-07, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Threw it on the other day. It's still much like it was to me eight years ago - damn good effects, intriguing ideas, good storytelling, bucketfuls of pretentious dialogue. The actors disappear into their roles so well that I don't find myself going "hey that's _____" at all. So yes, I still like it.

The sequels I haven't revisited since they came out in cinemas. Can't say I'm too pushed; they were alright, but nothing to write home about.
Old 06-24-07, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
...or does it now feel a little bit old/silly?
Other than the cellphone model, nope. The Matrix is still a goddamn good movie!
Old 06-24-07, 03:42 AM

I never loved or hated The Matrix. It's ok. Wildly overrated. I'm not a big fan of Keanu, and I didn't like Joe Pantoliano in The Matrix.
Old 06-24-07, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
All 3 still hold up for me because it's decent entertainment.
Old 06-24-07, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Upon recent repeat viewings, 1 is still good, 2 is still good and better than I first remembered, 3 is and was terrible and I own it purely because I'm an anal completist.

2 years and I still haven't gotten around to Animatrix and most of the special features!
Old 06-24-07, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first is still a sci-fi classic.

The second and third? Should've been edited into one, tight 3-hour epic.
Old 06-24-07, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still enjoyed the action in the first and second movie. But then I remembered how suck Revolution was and it ruined everything.
Old 06-24-07, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I've had a couple of Matrix-o-thon's since I picked up the boxed set. While I was mildly let down by the sequels, all three of them are still enjoyable enough to spend a day watching.

The only problem I have with the first one, is I've seen it so many times, I'm kind of bored with it. It's not like a comedy, where I can hear the same lame jokes and still laugh. Other than that, I think it still holds up quite well.
Old 06-24-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Still in my top 10
Old 06-24-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Still one of the top 10 sci-fi movies of all time, without a doubt. Sci-fi tends to hold up better than other genres IMHO. Hell, Forgotten Planet still holds up.
Old 06-24-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Matrix is still one of the greatest movies of all time. The sequels get better with every repeat viewing.
Old 06-24-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
The Matrix is still one of the greatest movies of all time. The sequels get better with every repeat viewing.
This is pretty much my feeling as well. Love the first one and enjoy the others...2 is an amazing action movie with some interesting philosophical concepts...3 is pretty impressive too, but ultimately very dissapointing.

It may sound strange, but I think the death of the lady playing the
Oracle really took me out of the third one...and Tank was a big loss as well, as he was an interesting character. During my last Matrix marathon, every time Harold Perrineauit (Link) came on screen, it was all I could do to keep from yelling "WAAAAAAAAALT!!!" His arc clearly belonged to Tank, and it's just a little niggling reminder that it's a movie.

Matrix introduced us to a bunch of ancillary characters and killed most of them while telling the stories of a core group. Reloaded introduced us to a bunch more characters and Revolutions told us the stories of the ones I didn't care about (the kid, Naobi, Link's wife, Jason) and dropped the interesting ones (Merovingian, Persephone, Architect...) Plus the primaries got what amounted to bit parts...Smith, for instance, was barely in Revolutions...Morpheus did pretty much nothing other than riding shotgun for Naobi...Trinity did nothing other than ride shotgun for Neo and had the worst death scene ever to boot...even Neo's part was downplayed.

Still, in spite of the flaws of the third film, the Matrix trilogy holds up extremely well, and probably will for a long long time.
Old 06-24-07, 09:23 AM

After watching them on HD recently:

The first does, absolutely; the second didn't hold up as well as I'd expected, but I attribute that largely to saturation on my part. Nine times in the theater and several viewings on DVD will do that to a person. The third seemed somewhat better since it was the one I've seen the least.
Old 06-24-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes. I still enjoy the original and feel it holds up very well. One of the best sci-fi films made. Parts 2 & 3? Well, I fell asleep during part 2 in the theatre and have yet to have any interest in seeing part 3. It's kinda like the 3 new Star Wars films - I don't really acknowledge their existence
Old 06-24-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I LOVE The Matrix. Great stuff - the script, acting, direction - it all works.

The sequels? Not so much. They both play like a 1973 Sci Fi movie made with a 2002 budget and effects.

Last edited by B5Erik; 06-24-07 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-24-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The first movie is okay, I wasn't a huge fan of it but enjoyed it no less (felt too much like a rehash/hybrid of Ghost in the Shell, Abres Los Ojos and Dark City, had I not seen those prior to the Matrix I may have enjoyed it more.) The second half of the second movie is also quite good (well, the final 90 minutes). The first half of the second movie and entire third movies are wastes of film.

So, overall, my opinion of the series hasn't changed.
Old 06-24-07, 10:32 AM

I loved the Matrix in 1999 and I love the Matrix in 2007. I watched it about a month ago and it still has the same effect on me. There have been many imitators since then, but the Matrix is the best and a damn good movie. I too also like the sequels better then I did when I first watched them in the theater. They are good action movies with popcorn.
Old 06-24-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Having gotten them on HD-DVD, I think the first one holds up very well. The other two hold up pretty good as one big story, but even I have to admit that the third one is just one big piece of eye candy for the most part. FX were good, and seeing it on an IMAX did a lot to make me think it was better than it actually was.
I will say that the new Ultimate series for HD includes the scenes they shot for the Enter the Matrix game, which really played a significant part in setting up Revolutions. Viewing these scenes makes the series more fully rounded. I have to admit, it took some guts (or maybe gall) to make playing and beating a video game a big part of the Matrix experience.
Old 06-24-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it holds up quite well.
Old 06-24-07, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am amazed that The Matrix makes it on anyone's top ten list. The few action scenes are good, but that is all.
Old 06-24-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Still awesome!
Old 06-24-07, 12:33 PM
Banned

The first is awesome film altogether. The second is an amazing action film. The third sucks more donkey balls than a professional donkey ball sucker
Old 06-24-07, 01:27 PM

Has anyone who hated the third movie given it additional viewings? The first time I saw it I did not really like it, but after seeing it three or four more times, I now think it is still flawed but it is a fitting end to a great trilogy. I realize asking people to watch something again that they hated is a tough sell, but sometimes it is worth it.
Old 06-24-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
After eight years, I'm just curious what some think about the original film? After spawning parodies, special effects trickery, and even more wirework in action flicks, do you still enjoy the movie like you once did, or does it now feel a little bit old/silly?

To be honest, no. It is still a good film, and I certainly like it, but I think that the world they go into was never quite as intesting as it should have been when they wake up from the cyber world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.