Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Live Free or Die Hard"...the reviews thread.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-23-07, 10:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Well, Wednesday is the day and so far this one has stirred probably the most controversy of any summer movie this season with the whole 'PG-13' fiasco.

At first, I was really dead set on not seeing this as I think the franchise might now be saturated and watered-down, but i do have a very soft spot for John McClane with #1 being my all time favorite movie and i do have the summer off after this coming week so...

Anyway, not tracking at RT as yet (gulp), but thinking the reviews in this thread might sway me one way or the other...
Old 06-23-07, 10:50 PM
PPP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a bad feeling about this one. I just checked RT and it looks like they aren't pre-screening it for critics. It opens Wednesday and it doesn't have a rating. Not a good sign. Plus, I thought the trailer looked like crap.
Old 06-23-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yahoo has "The first 8 minutes" posted and there are some cool parts, but I don't know if I am very optimistic about this one, plus the whole PG-13 and not being screened for critics thing has me a bit wary
Old 06-24-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like "Evan Almighty", this will be another box office casualty, but I'm there for the midnight showing.
Old 06-24-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll see this movie even if every person I talk to, every review I read, and every fan-boy post says that it sucks. It's gonna be pretty damn difficult for me not to enjoy a Die Hard film.
Old 06-24-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, those 8 minutes were pretty sweet. I felt bad for all the action figures that were harmed in the making of it though.
Old 06-24-07, 10:27 AM
Banned

I can't believe any fan of the original Die hard trilogy would go support this film in theatres considering this is just going to be a complete disgrace to the very idea of what "Die Hard" films are supposed to be..
To each his own though...
Old 06-24-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by PPP
Plus, I thought the trailer looked like crap.
I thought the trailer gave away too much stuff. Or maybe I should say, I hope the trailer doesn't show all the best stuff.
Old 06-24-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I can't believe any fan of the original Die hard trilogy would go support this film in theatres considering this is just going to be a complete disgrace to the very idea of what "Die Hard" films are supposed to be..
So you've seen it then, right? You wouldn't be talking out your ass about something you haven't even seen, would you?

Me? I'm going into this one with an open mind. If it's great - GREAT! If it's mediocre, well, then it's mediocre. Either way, I'm going to give it a chance.
Old 06-24-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have no interest in seeing Die Hard Lite.
Old 06-24-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Why didn't they go for the gold and shoot for an R rating. What is the obsession with releasing PG-13 movies anyway? By making it PG-13 does it make it a movie suitable for teenagers?
Old 06-24-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Why didn't they go for the gold and shoot for an R rating. What is the obsession with releasing PG-13 movies anyway? By making it PG-13 does it make it a movie suitable for teenagers?

Nope, it's just that teenagers nowadays have almost all of the disposable income of our society. Therefore, the industry more or less gears most of the products towards them. Should the movie be rated R, that's income that is going to another movie or medium that Fox cannot get, as a lot of theaters do require adult companions for the under 17(or 18 in some states) crowd and parents have better ways to spend two hours of their time. So logically, they make more PG-13/parents can just drop their kids off and leave them type movies, even ones that were rated R in their day.

Do I like it? No. But it is a business, and what happened was a business decision. However, I think they will shoot themselves in the foot this time around as everyone who made the old series a hit would most definitely be old enough to buy tickets for an R movie. Also, if this movie were shot under the impression that it would be R, which I have heard it was, then we will be getting a lot of awkward cuts and editing, which makes the movie look very inept in style.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 06-24-07 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-24-07, 11:42 AM

In a way, it is rated R - rated Arby's!

http://www.diehardarbysfan.com/

Are you a Die Hard Arby's Fan? Say "Yippee Ki Yay" to Arby's New Popcorn Chicken!
Puke.
Old 06-24-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just hope it's better than Part 3.
Old 06-24-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
I have no interest in seeing Die Hard Lite.

Old 06-24-07, 12:34 PM
Banned

Unless it gets wildly great reviews I will not be seeing it
Old 06-24-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

we should try to keep all the 'die hard lite' comments in the OTHER die hard 4 thread and probably keep this one to discussing reviews and come wednesday our own opinions on the actual flick... I think all the other points of discussion should be saved for the other pre-release thread.
Old 06-24-07, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MWB
In a way, it is rated R - rated Arby's!

http://www.diehardarbysfan.com/

Puke.
What the hell does popcorn chicken have to do with Die Hard?

And I can't believe they are butchering "Yippee ki yay motherfucker" like that. You either say the entire phrase, including the motherfucker, or you don't say it at all.
Old 06-24-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If Fox decided to go for a PG-13 rating in order to market it to teens, then why the hell would they open it so close to Transformers? Making it a hard R would've at least been good counterprogramming.

Regardless, I won't pay money to see a pussified Die Hard flick. I caught some of Die Hard 2 on the Fox Movie Channel the other night(hosted by that idiot Tom Rothman) and it was unbelievable how many F-bombs and gory deaths that movie had. Cutting all of that out defeats the entire purpose of the franchise.
Old 06-24-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Well, those 8 minutes were pretty sweet. I felt bad for all the action figures that were harmed in the making of it though.

My sister works for Todd McFarlane, and she sent me that clip talking about how alot of those were his figures.
Old 06-24-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I just hope it's better than Part 3.
If its better than part 3, its going to be one kick ass movie.
Old 06-24-07, 02:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
we should try to keep all the 'die hard lite' comments in the OTHER die hard 4 thread and probably keep this one to discussing reviews and come wednesday our own opinions on the actual flick... I think all the other points of discussion should be saved for the other pre-release thread.
very good idea. please keep this to reviews and opinions when actually see the film and thus comment on the watery nature with the 'PG-13' rating or the didn't notice anything different than the previous 'R' rated sequels. or opinions on current and upcoming reviews posted.
Old 06-24-07, 02:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Well, Wednesday is the day and so far this one has stirred probably the most controversy of any summer movie this season with the whole 'PG-13' fiasco.

At first, I was really dead set on not seeing this as I think the franchise might now be saturated and watered-down, but i do have a very soft spot for John McClane with #1 being my all time favorite movie and i do have the summer off after this coming week so...

Anyway, not tracking at RT as yet (gulp), but thinking the reviews in this thread might sway me one way or the other...
OK. I DO NOT like this being PG-13, but I do sort of understand it from the studio stanpoint, though I am not sure that an R would have really cost them that much. But, with this film, every theatre is going to be showing this on multiple screens, so why not release it simultaneously in both an R rated version and a PG-13. Willis said they shot an "R" film so we will undoubtedly get the "Unrated DVD" but I think that they could have done a dual release of this movie and made even more at the Box Office.
Old 06-25-07, 09:16 AM

I'll probably see it no matter what people say. I see what I want and that is it.
Old 06-25-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Considering how many 13 year olds I see at most R-Rated movies, studios need to get with the program and realize that rating movies that are expected to be R-rated lower is going to hurt them in the long run.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.