Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Suggestions needed for Sci-Fi books set in snowy climes / winter

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions needed for Sci-Fi books set in snowy climes / winter

Has anyone read any good sci-fi books that take place in snowy climates? Or during the winter?
Old 06-22-07, 09:20 AM
DB

Originally Posted by 89981
Has anyone read any good sci-fi books that take place in snowy climates? Or during the winter?
I remember really enjoying The Snow Queen by Joan Vinge. Its been a long time though so I can't recall much detail.
Old 06-22-07, 12:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LeGuin's "Left Hand of Darkness".
Old 06-26-07, 03:10 PM

The Icerigger trilogy by Alan Dean Foster
Icerigger, Mission to Moulokin, The Deluge Drivers
Old 06-26-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kir Bulychev's Those Who Survive.
Old 06-26-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by benedict
LeGuin's "Left Hand of Darkness".
Seconded. It's on the imaginary list of must-read for serious SF fans.
Old 06-27-07, 01:29 PM

Don't know if you're interested in only sci-fi or fantasy as well but George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones is book 1) is set in cold wintery locales.
Old 06-27-07, 01:48 PM

"Dreamcatcher" by Stephen King
Old 06-29-07, 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the titles guys. I will check them out
Old 07-01-07, 02:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Nuclear winter

M K Wren's "A Gift Upon The Shore"
Old 07-01-07, 04:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

More post-apocalyptic climate-change....

As a teen I read and enjoyed Richard Cowper's "The Twighlight of Briareus".

Over the years I have several times recommended it to those a little wary of the science-fiction genre.
Old 07-03-07, 05:44 AM

I read Deception Point by Dan Brown. It has some sci-fi elements and is set primary in the arctic. I guess it was more of thriller then sci-fi, still a good book set in cold weather though.
Old 07-10-07, 02:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

One of Brian Aldiss' Helliconia sequence is entitled "Helliconia Winter".

David Zindell's "Neverness" & "The Broken God" are set on and around the planet Icefall, sometimes among the Eskimo-esque Alaloi tribe. (FWIW I rate these books more highly than Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos).
Old 07-11-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
A couple of books more in the sci-fi/action/thriller vein:

James Rollins "Ice Hunt". Americans vs Russians at the North Pole with a Doomsday device threatening the world all while battling hordes of prehistoric ice monsters. As you can guess, it's not exactly a "thinking persons" book, but I found it goofy fun.

The always solid Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston had a good one in "The Ice Limit".
Old 01-16-14, 02:02 AM
Mod Emeritus

Aldiss' Helliconia

I've just noticed that they've gathered together the three books of the Helliconia trilogy into one stonking great volume of 1300+ pages!

I would imagine that this would suit anyone who worked their way through Robinson's Mars books &/or anyone who likes doorstoppers in general.

I have the first two of these in hardback from a bookclub I belonged to as a teen but missed the final volume. I'll either pick up the "anthology" or simply search Abebooks for a hardback copy of "Winter".
Old 01-17-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Suggestions needed for Sci-Fi books set in snowy climes / winter

Larry Niven's Fallen Angels has the earth going through a second ice age.

From wikipedia:
Spoiler:
Set in an unspecified 'near-future' (one of the main characters has childhood memories of the Exxon Valdez disaster) in which a radical environmentalist movement, joined with a coalition of religious groups, has gained control of the US government and imposed draconian luddite laws which, in attempts to curb global warming, have ironically brought about the greatest environmental catastrophe in recorded history - an ice age which may eventually escalate into a Snowball Earth.

The exact process is described: Clouds are water condensation. This cannot occur without particulate matter in the atmosphere. The emission laws have removed most of this, reducing cloud cover, meaning the ground loses heat faster. This in combination with the drop in greenhouse gases has resulted in the acceleration of the existing ice age; now self-perpetuating as glaciers have a much higher albedo.

As a radical totalitarian environmentalist party now controls the US government, the scientific explanation is denounced as "propaganda from life-hating technophiles", and blame for the ice age is instead solely placed on the society surviving in orbit. Science fiction fandom forms the core of a pro-technology underground in the United States, working in tandem with Hacker movements. Other technologists - accused by the government of pursuing "materialist science" - were removed from their jobs and forced underground, where they were generally unable to continue their work. This rabid distaste for technology has resulted in the collapse of the economy and lack of education and a complicit media has left the majority of the population credulous and easily manipulated. The Greens have been in power for most of the lives of the characters.

As glaciers rapidly advance south, Canada and the northern United States are all but destroyed. Near the edge of the glaciers, in Milwaukee, barbaric feudal systems arise as the federal government and markets collapse, leaving violence and disease in their wake. In orbit, Mir and Space Station Freedom survive in tandem with a Lunar colony, but with no support from Earth. The city of Winnipeg is the last major outpost of Canadian civilization, warmed and inhabitable due to immense amounts of solar power beamed from the space stations.

I enjoyed the book, although it is more of a nod/wink to science fiction fans and conventions than a novel with a "big idea".
Old 01-17-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Suggestions needed for Sci-Fi books set in snowy climes / winter

More horror than sci-fi:

-- Dan Simmons "The Terror" will have you putting extra blankets on your bed at night.

-- If you enjoyed "The Thing," check out the basis for that movie: John Campbell's "Who Goes There?"