Reload this Page >

One final tour of Harry Potter?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 06-19-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else reading HP novels one last time before the last one? Since I have so much going on this year I think I need to start in the next week if I really want to enjoy the reads.
Old 06-19-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've typically done this before each book release, but this time I think I'll just re-read Half Blood Prince.
Old 06-20-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, that's what I did. Just re-read #6. I was impressed once again on how good it is.
Old 06-20-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Just started reading the first one again yesterday. Figured I'd go on the whole trip one more time.
Old 06-20-07, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started reading them about a week ago; I'm halfway through Chamber of Secrets.
Old 06-20-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to go through and read them again before Book 7 (i did before Book 6) but i just haven't had the time.

I'll probably reread Book 6 shortly, just to prep for the last one.
Old 06-20-07, 04:46 PM

I am just re-reading #6...when I finish that I may re-read others, I am undecided.
Old 06-21-07, 12:02 AM

I'll probably read 5 next weekend and 6 the following in prep. This is really surreal thinking that I'll be reading the final Harry Potter adventure in a little over a month. It doesn't help that I just read "Michael Tolliver Lives" - which is the first book in the 'Tales of the City' series published in almost 20 years.
Old 06-21-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just finished Goblet of Fire and right now going through Order of the Phoenix. I'm hoping to start Half-Blood Prince next week.
Old 06-21-07, 01:27 PM

Just finished the whole series again last week - now I'm waiting, and waiting....
Old 06-21-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been going back and forth from reading and listening to the audio cds of them. I've made it through them all save 2, but, have started listening to OoTP and HBP even after reading through them. It's really strange, but, sometimes I find I catch something a little different when listening to it than when reading it. Sometimes things just catch me a little different, I guess.
Old 06-21-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own them all on CD (and book) as well. I listen to them while I'm trying to fall alseep. This has vastly increased my knowledge of the series.
Old 06-21-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm undecided if I want to read the whole series again or just 5 and 6. Probably will do the whole series.
Old 06-24-07, 11:45 PM

Yes I will read them all

I will start my readings tomorrow I hope, I will try and get through them all by release day. I hope I make it.
Old 06-25-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was thinking about re-reading OotP for the movie (however when I did this for GoF it really soiled the movie for me) and then HBP... I dont know though, I seem to remember most of the important points from 6 so I'll see.
Old 06-27-07, 08:25 PM

I started the first book on Saturday and just finished Prisoner today. Looking forward to Goblet, as always, but then Order is always a stumbling block because Harry is so bitchy in that book.
Old 06-29-07, 08:58 AM

I wanna do this, but I'm a slow reader and my copies are stateside (at the 'rents place), so I'm waiting for my friends English student to return her copies of the first 2 so that I can read them... I'm cross-eyed from writing that.

Anyway, I should have them Monday, if I'm lucky. Otherwise I may just have to scotch the plan and only reread from 3 on.
-ringding-
Old 07-03-07, 09:52 AM

Yup. Got them yesterday. Being a slow reader, I'm only about half through book 1 so far.
-ringding-
Old 07-06-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Started re-reading #6. It's a better book than I remember. I may try and get through #5 before the movie. I really don't enjoy reading the first two at all.
Old 07-06-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm about 1/3 of the way through HBP now. It's a good thing to because I'm finding I barely remember it. I must've only read it the one time I tore through it when it first came out.

I hope I can take more time with the last book and at the same time avoid the spoilers.
Old 07-06-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been trying my hardest to avoid spoilers as well. Some asshat at the Hot Dog eating contest on the 4th had a sign w/ a potential spoiler that my wife told me what it said w/out saying it was about X, do you want to hear it... I'm hoping the prick is wrong.

I've also decided that I'll be picking this one up at midnight at a Wal-mart marking the first time I've picked one up before the morning after. I plan on staying up as late as I can reading it until I can take it no longer. I'm also going to try to read it a little slower but I know I will be almost too excited to take my time.
Old 07-07-07, 08:14 AM

I'm taakeing a bit of a shortcut, I just watched GoF on DVD this weekend, will go to OoTP in the theater next week, and then re-read HBP after that. I'm not the fastest reader, but should still be able to get through one book before #7 arrives
Old 07-07-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished listening to all 6 audio books (Jim Dale) for the first time. I did it having watched all the previous movies and being spoiled about the end of The Half-Blood Prince, but it was still rather enjoyable. I was never a fan based on the movies, and I still have issues with the series, but I'm now looking forward to the final book.

And since I'm not going to dig up old threads to do this let me say:

Favorite book: The Half-blood Prince. I like this book the best because of how unlike the earlier books it was. Harry is actually in the confidence of Dumbledore, at least more so than he has ever been in the past (barring the last couple of chapters of each book where Dumbledore explains what's been going on all year). It broke the old plot mold of Harry and his friends being shut out of 'adult matters', sneaking around to find scraps of evidence, getting mistaken ideas, which nearly always lead deadly peril.

Which leads me to least favorite book:

Order of the Phoenix. First, it's overly long and the villains Umbridge/Fudge seem overdone. Second, as with previous plots it seems much of the trouble could have been avoided if Dumbledore would have just shared a little information with Harry. In this book it seems to take that weakness to the limit as there seemed to be no good reason not to at least warn Harry or tell him why he must defend his mind. Finally, Harry is just unlikeable. I know Rowling has been following a theme of maturity/puberty with the books and I guess this was just the angry/brooding phase some teens go through. Recognizing that doesn't make it any more enjoyable to read though.
Old 07-08-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll reread #6. Not going to reread #5 since the movie is coming out on Wednesday. Want to be able to enjoy it and not sit there picking it apart of what was left out and what was changed. I have a few friends that were just annoying to be near when the last few movies came out. This was changed, this plot from the book wasn't there, this character wasn't there, this prop wasn't what the book described.....etc.
Old 07-08-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
Decided i was going to re read all of them myself today so knowing that the library would probably be out i bought the first book and have almost finished it. Ill go buy the second tommorow and hopefully ill have it done by Tuesday or so with work. I think im going to refuse to read the last book till ive finised them all which will be hard since every tom dick and jane will want to spoil the book everywhere i turn.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.