Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Cheapest Packaging to Ship DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest Packaging to Ship DVDs

So I just cleared out about 40 titles from my collection on ebay, but I'm still looking to pack them up. Most are individual titles, a few box sets.

What's the cheapest way to pack them and send them Media Mail or Priority? Envelopes? Small boxes? And where can I pick them up for the cheapest?
Old 06-19-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I do 6x9 bubble envelopes, less than $.50 cents depending on how many you buy. The dvd fits nice and snug. They won't work for snappers though.

Depending on how many discs & how thick the booklet is, they run about $2 Priority. Media mail isn't usually much different on something this small.
Old 06-19-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've sent lots of DVDs in standard envelopes, with bubble wrap or a foam peanut in the case to hold the disc securely in place - this brings the cost down a bit since the package is less thick than a bubble mailer and the dvds arrive fine (however this is in Canada where the thickness of the bubble mailer nearly doubles the shipping cost).
Old 06-19-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I do 6x9 bubble envelopes, less than $.50 cents depending on how many you buy. The dvd fits nice and snug. They won't work for snappers though.

Depending on how many discs & how thick the booklet is, they run about $2 Priority. Media mail isn't usually much different on something this small.
You mean first class, not priority. Priority is well over $4.

I buy my bubble envelopes in bulk on eBay. VERY cheap that way.
Old 06-19-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am WAY cheap so that being said:

I buy 7 1/2 buy 10 1/2 envelopes. I wrap the DVD in about 3 walmart bags and stuff it in the envelope. I seal it up good with some packing tape.

I have to get any type of complaint minus one that was obviously stepped on by the USPS because of the type of damage. Most of the time I get positive feedback about how well it was packed.

You can buy the envelopes for about $10 for 100 and the bags I get from friends, etc. YOu have NO idea how many of these bags are used and how many people get of them each day. I have a steady flow.

But that is about as cheap as you can go.

If the DVD is 5 oz or less first class parcel is the cheapest. Put do not bend on the envelope though.

If the DVD is over that amount the best way to ship is medial mail.

Another helpful hint is to offer shipping insurance. Most people don't get it but it gives you an out if the item gets damaged in shipping. I've been burned on that one a few times before I started offering insurance.
Old 06-19-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I save the boxes that I receive from Deep Discount and DVD Planet. The boxes that hold a single disc are perfect to reuse, and I always place a piece of bubblewrap inside of the dvd case to help secure the disc to the spindle. Cost is usually between $1.75-2.00 per dvd. Those who buy from me have commented positively multiple times on this shipping method.
Old 06-19-07, 05:32 PM

I need to pick envelopes up ASAP and start shipping so ebay is out of the question. What store is going to have the best deal? Office Max or a big box like Walmart or Target or somewhere else entirely?
Old 06-19-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have access to free bubble wrap. So I'll just stick a layer to two into the DVD case (if used) to prevent floaters and use some more to wrap up the outter packaging. Stick the end result into a standard 10x13 envelope (bought a package of 100 for little over $5) and off it goes.

Keeps things cheap and I have yet to receive a complaint from a damaged DVD set.
Old 06-19-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmick
I need to pick envelopes up ASAP and start shipping so ebay is out of the question. What store is going to have the best deal? Office Max or a big box like Walmart or Target or somewhere else entirely?
Check their websites ...
Old 06-20-07, 12:19 PM

You might try dollar stores. I was just in Family Dollar on Monday and they had a whole shopping cart full of 6x9 bubble envelopes on clearance, 2 envelopes for 66 cents.
Old 06-20-07, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by rmick
If you're a Sam's Club member, they have boxes of 25 bubble mailers for very cheap- #0 size (6" x 10") for $4.xx (less than 20 cents each) and #2 (8.5" x 11", which are good for up to 3 DVDs, double-size cases, or small box sets) for $6.xx.

Try to avoid Staples or Office Depot- they're a rip-off (almost a dollar a mailer, even in bulk).