Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

iTunes - Complete my Album

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-15-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm browsing iTunes a bit today and noticed a link to "Complete my Album" So I decide to check it out. Basically iTunes allows you to complete an album from which you have downloaded tracks for a "reduced" price. So I'm thinking "sweet! I'll complete my Stephen Lynch CDs" I click on one of the albums. I've downloaded 4 tracks from it... the original cost was $11.99 and the "complete my album" cost is $8.03. The difference is the $3.96 that I spent downloading the original 4 tracks. Granted, the album has 12 tracks remaining that I would get, but it isn't like they actually "discounted" anything... they just allowed me to buy the rest of the album at the regular price minus the money that I've already paid. I guess my beef is just that they made it sound like a sale, and it definately is not.
Old 06-15-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd expect the remaining tracks to be discounted. If I buy a half a set of golf clubs they wouldn't give me a discount when I came back to buy the other half.
Old 06-15-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
I'm not sure why you'd expect the remaining tracks to be discounted. If I buy a half a set of golf clubs they wouldn't give me a discount when I came back to buy the other half.
Because that is how it is worded:

"Did you know that if you've purchased one or more songs from an eligible album, you may now be able to buy the rest of the album at a reduced price?"

They make it sound like a sale... or a special offer... and I suppose they don't have to offer the service - hence I would have to buy the remaining 12 tracks at $0.99 each or download the entire album again for $11.99. I just think they worded it badly to make it sound better than it is.

Something like "If you've purchased one or more tracks from an eligible album, you may put the cost you've already spent towards the purchase of the complete album" would have been more clear as to what they were doing.
Old 06-16-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts
It is a sale and also includes a limited time offer for music you bought in the past.

Just because you don't like the type of sale that it is (giving you credit for the songs you already purchased to now go back and buy the album at a "discounted price" instead of the full price) doesn't mean it isn't a valid sale.

Last edited by Music; 06-16-07 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-18-07, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Because that is how it is worded:

"Did you know that if you've purchased one or more songs from an eligible album, you may now be able to buy the rest of the album at a reduced price?"
I think *may* is the key word there. They might be offering a discount on some albums and charging regular price for the remaining songs on others.
Old 06-18-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm with C-Mart on this one. I think it is misleading.

I think the *may* is there because not all albums are eligible for the offer. You might have purchased 3 songs off of Artist X's album but can't buy the rest at the "reduced" price.
Old 06-18-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
They could have discounted the rest to try and promote the full sale of the album. If they can get you to complete it at $7.00 instead of the full $8.00 (at which you buy none) then that is $7.00 more than they were going to get.