Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series' (HD DVD)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series' (HD DVD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
DVD Talk review of 'Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series'

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28590 and...this review was very honest about the video quality of this series.
Thanks for being detailed and truthful about this package.
I have watched this series through nearly twice since buying it and have fallen more in love with it on the second viewing, but I think it was important to point out the imperfections. Josh Z nailed it before. It is as good as it could be. However, it wasn't the perfect presentation some reviews seemed to imply simply because the conditions were so tough to film under. I thought comments like "If you want to show some guests just why you spent all of that money on a Blu-ray player and HD display, just throw this puppy in and watch their eyes pop out." were very overblown, full or fluff and dishonest. I'm thankful for a more honest review that correctly expresses why this set is worth owning. This set is not HD video eye candy like Batman or Pirates. It is however an excellent documentary and on my second viewing I am picking up more and more detail that makes it worth owning in HD.
Old 06-15-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!
Old 06-15-07, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would the improvement in HD be so much better than the SD version that I should wait until I get an HD player so that I don't have to double-dip? I don't have an HD/LCD tv yet either. Any advice is appreciated from anyone who's seen them.

Last edited by Droog; 06-15-07 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-15-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I haven't done a direct comparison, but Randy Miller's review of the DVD edition made it sound like a distant second. In my experience, programs shot on HD video usually look fantastic on DVD, but this sounds like it may be one of the exceptions.
Old 06-15-07, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great review Adam, I'm also miffed at the fact they left out any of the special features. Also with regards to not including Sigorney Weaver's audio track, it wouldn't match up with the video since her narration was for the shorter U.S. broadcast version.