Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Help with FYE rebates

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Help with FYE rebates

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with FYE rebates

hello!

i apologize if this is not the appropriate forum, but i assumed someone here could help me.

i just purchased 2 seasons of seinfeld from fye, taking advantage of the mail-in rebate offer. my question is this: is there any means to avoid CUTTING THE BOX to mail in the barcode? the guy working was not very helpful.

thank you for responding!
Old 05-31-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The yellow price sticker is generally accepted for the bar code. If they declare your rebate invalid for a missing UPC, call them up or email them and tell them that you DID send in the UPC. This method has always worked for me when they deny my rebate for a missing UPC. They will most likely declare your rebate as valid and process a new check. As with all Parago rebates, make photocopies of everything!
Old 05-31-07, 04:45 PM

Ye Olde Yellow Sticker has worked 50 out of 50 times for me.
Old 05-31-07, 05:17 PM

thank you both for responding so quickly!

just to clarify one detail... by the "yellow sticker", do you mean the "9.99" sale sticker?

have a nice day!

Last edited by theboss814; 05-31-07 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by theboss814
thank you both for responding so quickly!

just to clarify one detail... by the "yellow sticker", do you mean the "9.99" sale sticker?

No. You must send in the sticker that has the bar code and the title of the item on it. The sale sticker will not qualify as a UPC code.
Old 05-31-07, 07:26 PM

hahahaha. sorry about that. i realized what you guys meant right after submitting my last post.

thanks again!
Old 06-18-07, 10:51 AM

well, once again FYE or their rebate center has tried to stop me from getting a rebate...

I just called the rebate department related to the fye rebate where I got the email saying that the required upc wasn't included in my submission...

This rebate is from fye.com and not one of the stores... therefore I didn't have one of the yellow stickers with the upc to send in... but keep in mind, the form states that you do NOT have to include the upc - this is because they know people don't want to cut up their cd or dvd package just to get back $3.00… instead there is a line for you to write the upc on the rebate form…

And just like every time this has happened…

You go thru a lengthy menu that doesn't want to let you talk to a person - it wants to send you thru multiple automated menus… then finally it offers an attendant…

Then they come in on the line… and tell you that your submission was indeed invalid…

BUT…

Since you're a valued customer we'll honor it anyway…

Then you hear a few keystrokes… and they tell you you'll get your $3.00 in 4-6 weeks…

SCAM!

Do you have any idea how many people won't call… or won't get thru due to the bad menus?!
Old 06-18-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

Doesn't it make you feel warm and fuzzy inside that they consider you a valued customer?
Old 06-18-07, 01:08 PM

I felt warm indeed... but unfortunately, it wasn't because I was a valued customer... it was because my blood pressure was rising! how many hours / days / weeks off my life did that $3.00 rebate cost me?!
Old 06-18-07, 04:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I got screwed twice by the fye rebate scam, I will never do it again.
Old 06-23-07, 09:03 PM

hey has anyone evr had 2 rebates of the same kind valid and in final processing?
anyone have any advice on what to do and what not to do?
Old 06-24-07, 09:48 AM

Always use a credit card when buying dvds and doing the FYE rebates, so you can file a dispute with your credit card company later.
Old 03-21-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had about 7 orders all during December and finally (after much harassment) received 4 of my $10 electronic gift cards last week. However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to tell which of my 7 these 4 cards are for......and they haven't updated the fyerebates.com tracking site to list any of them as being completed?

Does anyone know how to tell which rebate your gift card is for?
Old 03-22-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkzahn
I had about 7 orders all during December and finally (after much harassment) received 4 of my $10 electronic gift cards last week. However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to tell which of my 7 these 4 cards are for......and they haven't updated the fyerebates.com tracking site to list any of them as being completed?

Does anyone know how to tell which rebate your gift card is for?
when you find the answer, please let us all know!
Old 03-22-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYE.com sucks took 3 months to get me a DVD. customer service is horrrible. i hate these guys with a passion.
Old 03-22-08, 09:46 AM

I hate rebates period!

However, I got in on the last HD 360 addon for $48 OTD. Got an email after a week sending in the yellow sticker stating that my $30 visa card is being processed. Hopefully in 10 to 12 weeks I will get my free 5 HD DVDs.

Rebates still suck but the hassle is sometimes worth it!
Old 03-22-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stonewall

Rebates still suck but the hassle is sometimes worth it!
Getting money back in the mail sucks? I know that many here have had trouble with FYE, but I must be living a charmed life. I have always received my rebates within two months and I usually receive my pre-ordered DVDs in the mail by the street date.
Old 03-25-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok two questions for anyone with the intricate knowledge of the dreaded fye rebate...

used a virtual giftcard online, received in lieu of a cash mail-in rebate, and for whatever reason, the transaction was cancelled. tried to place a new order with the gift card, but it is locked. cs tells me that the hold should be withdrawn in 5-7 business days. does this sound right?

also, are virtual giftcards only taken online? i tried to use one at a local fye and was told they are unable to process it, even though the email that contains the virutal giftcard numbers states that it can be used in-store.

i dont think i like these virtual giftcards
Old 03-25-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hindolio
ok two questions for anyone with the intricate knowledge of the dreaded fye rebate...

used a virtual giftcard online, received in lieu of a cash mail-in rebate, and for whatever reason, the transaction was cancelled. tried to place a new order with the gift card, but it is locked. cs tells me that the hold should be withdrawn in 5-7 business days. does this sound right?

also, are virtual giftcards only taken online? i tried to use one at a local fye and was told they are unable to process it, even though the email that contains the virutal giftcard numbers states that it can be used in-store.

i dont think i like these virtual giftcards
Question #1: It usually does take a week for them to reactivate your gift card. Keep checking your balance here- https://www.fye.com/giftCardBalanceView.htm - to see if they reactivated your card. You might have to send out follow-up emails to get this resolved.

Question #2: They most definitely take VGC's in-store(I redeemed two $10 VGC's in-store just last month). You probably got an incompetent cashier that didn't want to go through the hassle of figuring out how to take the card. If this happens again, ask to speak to the store manager.
Old 03-25-08, 11:01 PM

An FYE employee insider's tip:

Often to use the VGC's in a store, the cashier will have to manually type in the amount that the card is for, instead of simply swiping it. (They may even have to type in the full 16 digit account number if the card won't swipe.)

This is especially true if your purchase totals more than what's on the card. (For example, if you buy something that's $50 like a videogame, and your card only has $20 on it, the cashier will usually have to type in $20 on the register and then swipe the card through.) This usually works most of the time. I don't know why our registers are set up like this, but it seems to be a minor issue with these types of cards. We have the same trouble with most of those generic gift cards issued by banks with Visa and MC logos.
Old 03-26-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the link and thanks for the helpful info guys

i dunno if it makes any kind of difference, but my virtual merchandise giftcard is just a bunch of numbers that were sent via email - $10 worth instead of the $7 cash check.

ill wait it out and try again later. still, i think ill just go with the cash from now on meh.
Old 03-26-08, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Getting money back in the mail sucks? I know that many here have had trouble with FYE, but I must be living a charmed life. I have always received my rebates within two months and I usually receive my pre-ordered DVDs in the mail by the street date.
Sorry, I will make easy for you.

Having to mail in rebates then wait for the money or movies Sucks when compared to getting instant rebates or stuff at the register.

Still waiting for both my FYE rebates.
Old 03-26-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stonewall
Sorry, I will make easy for you.

Having to mail in rebates then wait for the money or movies Sucks when compared to getting instant rebates or stuff at the register.

Still waiting for both my FYE rebates.
Obviously instant rebates at the register are always preferrable to a MIR. Rebates are the only way that FYE can come close to competing with big box stores. They don't make any money on big screen TVs, accessories, extended warranties, etc like CC and BB. They offer the rebates as an incentive and hope that customers will forget to send them in. I only shop at FYE every now and then because I amass a lot of store credit with my used DVD trade-ins. The rebate program makes it a solid deal compared to other retailers. If you're patient and persistent(sometimes you do have to send follow-up emails to get them to process a rebate), the check will come.
Old 04-02-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just received my two $10 virtual gift cards for Prison Break 1 and 2 that I submitted last December. A long wait, but patience is a virtue. If you are waiting on a VGC, keep an eye on your email.
Old 04-03-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I just received my two $10 virtual gift cards for Prison Break 1 and 2 that I submitted last December. A long wait, but patience is a virtue. If you are waiting on a VGC, keep an eye on your email.
please let us know how it goes getting them redeemed. as mentioned in a previous post, i have had a little difficulty, so i am curious to know if it was bad luck or a common occurrence.