Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Flags of Our Fathers" or "Letters From Iwo Jima"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: "Flags of Our Fathers" or "Letters From Iwo Jima"?
"Flags of Our Fathers"
12.00%
"Letters From Iwo Jima"
78.00%
Neither, they both blew chucks.
10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 05:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

I just saw "Letters" last night and was enthralled. I thought it was far superior to "Flags". The characters in Iwo were so much more likeable than Flags. i actually felt for them, and they were the enemy.

to think that Clint made these simultaneously and actually took the opposing side and made them a sympathetic character is amazing.

what a great film.

one question?
Spoiler:
what happened to Saigo? at the end when he was in the American camp and safe, it was as if he might have made it out and might have gotten back to his wife and daughter, but then it ended. anyone know what happened to him??

so which did you think was the superior movie?
Old 05-23-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This poll isn't even going to be close.
Old 05-23-07, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flags of Our Fathers because there is no dubbing for Letters from Iwo Jima and foreign films are prentenious.
Old 05-23-07, 06:45 PM

Lol, who is 'chuck' and why should we blow him? Isn't there an adult film thread this belongs on???
Old 05-23-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LFIJ was the better film.
Old 05-23-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep, LFIJ
Old 05-23-07, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Apone
Flags of Our Fathers because there is no dubbing for Letters from Iwo Jima and foreign films are prentenious.

Sometimes I don't like american society... actually a lot of the time. I work at blockbuster and live in a small town in Alabama, I get cussed out and complained to about films being subtitled. Pan's Labyrinth, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Apocolypto have been the biggest pain in the ass ever. My boss won't let me put a sign up saying "The following films are subtitled and in a foreign language". Don't get me wrong, all three movies are really good, but having to listen to ignorant hicks about how horrible subtitles are... ugh i don't know.
Old 05-23-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Apone
Hey mate, Flags of Our Fathers is foreign too. I guess you'll need to stick with Whale Rider and The Piano, eh?
Old 05-24-07, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by project86
I get cussed out and complained to about films being subtitled. Pan's Labyrinth, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Apocolypto have been the biggest pain in the ass ever.
Well, we almost had a bill that would ban all subtitled films but our recent and controversial Anti-Smacking bill got passed instead.

Originally Posted by The Bus
Hey mate, Flags of Our Fathers is foreign too. I guess you'll need to stick with Whale Rider and The Piano, eh?
Or Heavenly Creatures, Once Were Warriors and Leon Narbey films. 100% Pure NZ and subtitles free.
Old 05-24-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Letters is a wayyy superior film.
Old 05-24-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Letters was the superior film, certainly. But, I still enjoyed Flags.

Maybe the poll should've had a "both" option?
Old 05-24-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Letters for me.

I didn't like Flags of Our Fathers structure, seem to blow a lot of momentum, but am willing to retry it in the new SE.
Old 05-25-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Letters from Iwo Jima was much much better than Flags of Our Fathers. I agree that Eastwood was able to make us sympathize with the Japanese soldiers and showed us that they were really no different than we were.
Old 05-25-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Letters is so vastly superior to Flags that's it not even an arguable point in my opinion. It's like saying "Which is better - Saving Private Ryan or Behind Enemy Lines?" Even then, I'm betting the Owen Wilson movie would draw some votes.
Old 05-25-07, 05:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
so anyone know what happened to Saigo?
Old 05-26-07, 07:19 AM

They're both great movies. Letters is the more emotional, Flags the more intellectual. The former looks at the battle, the latter concentrates more about the postwar. They need to be seen back to back for greatest effect because it's then that what Eastwood is doing becomes clear. Both movies are not so much 'war films' in the conventional sense as they are examinations of what happens when the needs of the soldiers conflict with the needs of their culture. In Letters it's the culture of death before dishonor that traps the troops (& the sympathetically portrayed Gen Kuribyashi is as much a victim of this as Saigo). In Flags it's the cultural need to create heroes for a weary public so that politicians can continue to fund the war. Both films are a great achievement for Eastwood.