Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Question: where to bargain hunt in Dallas?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm a long time reader - and thanks to everyone, because I've saved LOTS of money while buying too many DVD - but now I'm a first-time poster, hoping to benefit from board members' expertise. I'm going to Dallas this weekend, and I was wondering whether any Texans have any suggestions on where I might look for DVD bargains in the Dallas area. Thanks!
Old 05-23-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I haven't been in one if a few years, but check out the CD Warehouses in the area. I used to buy stuff there all the time. In fact, I am going to hit a couple as I am driving thru Dallas this weekend.
Old 05-23-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For used DVDs, Half Price Books is having one of their periodic 20% off sales this weekend. Several locations around Dallas.
Old 05-23-07, 01:48 PM

Yes, half-price books often has hidden treasures. I have a hard time walking out of there without a stack of goodies.
Old 05-23-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always found Half Price Books prices to be a bit high on most DVDs, especially the common and new release-type stuff. You can get some good deals on box sets sometimes, though. They do not seem to have a grasp on current pricing as a DVD that costs $15 new in a store will be priced the same as a DVD that cost $20 new in a store. They do tend to have big selections.
Old 05-23-07, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I've always found Half Price Books prices to be a bit high on most DVDs, especially the common and new release-type stuff. You can get some good deals on box sets sometimes, though. They do not seem to have a grasp on current pricing as a DVD that costs $15 new in a store will be priced the same as a DVD that cost $20 new in a store. They do tend to have big selections.
Right, but occasionally you find cool OOP stuff, and in that case the price isn't bad. I've also gotten great deals on their CDs, games, and of course, books.
Old 05-23-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I do well on CDs there, especially if they put out a new batch of $1 discs I can move on Lala.

Overall HPB is a fun place to look around for a while. I've got 4 of them within a few miles of either my home or office, so I am in there on a weekly basis.
Old 05-23-07, 03:03 PM

I've never had much luck on dvds at Half Price Books. I found the Kino version of Stalker at one without a price tag, when I asked how much the guy tried to make me pay $29.99. I just laughed. You can usually find some good books though.

Movie Trading Co is also pretty hit or miss; I haven't found many deals, but the two I've found were pretty good: the OOP Criterion of Robocop for $32.99 and the Criterion of Heaven Can Wait, new, for $14.99. Beyond those though I haven't had much luck.
Old 05-23-07, 04:23 PM

I've bought a lot of no-art DVDs from Movie Trading Co. They're ex-Blockbuster rentals that are dumped at MTC. You will have to wade through a lot of crap, but even at $3.99 its a good deal. I've found quite a few goodies in the no-art section, including Grave of the Fireflies 2-disc and Crumb.

I rarely buy DVDs from Half-Price Books, since they're usually overpriced.

GameStop and EBGames are also good places to look. One or two that I've visited in the past no longer carry DVDs.

Fry's Electronics sometimes runs pretty good sales. A little while back they had the Futurama sets for $14.99.
Old 05-23-07, 09:50 PM

Hollywood video runs some really good deals on DVD's and the Hastings in Denton sometimes has good deals other than that we watch for deals at Circuit City and Fry's on holiday weekends...
Old 05-23-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I scored about 40 titles over the last month at the local Hollywood Video stores while they were having the "50% off discs under $9.99" sale, that was a biggie. Movie Trading Company sometimes has great OOP titles for really low prices. Those are my main local sources. MTC had a sale last year with no-art DVDs for .99 and I picked up a ton of those as well. Just have to be vigilant.
Old 05-25-07, 02:30 PM

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for your recommendations!