Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Schindler's List made me cry

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-21-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great and powerful movie.

what images. what story. what performances.

A+++. Few movies make me cry...Schindler's List did.

Schindler's end speech and the very last shots before credits.

beautiful and so sad.
Old 05-21-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Schindler's end speech was, IMHO, the only real blemish on what was otherwise a wonderful film. I actually guffawed the first time I saw it and I left the theater with a strange craving for burnt ham.

The actual footage at the end of survivors and descendents placing stones on Schindler's grave is what bring the tears-a-wellin' more than anything else for me.
Old 05-21-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well, looks like you failed the "Am I a robot" test because I can't imagine it not making someone tear up.
Old 05-21-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Yeah, it got to me too (I actually have never watched it again since it came out because it was such a wrenching experience).

I remember at the time reading reports of some teens in the audiences actually laughing at the movie. Sadly I imagine that problem would be even worse were it released today... violence is apparently funny no matter what the context to some folks
Old 05-21-07, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinS
Schindler's end speech was, IMHO, the only real blemish on what was otherwise a wonderful film. I actually guffawed the first time I saw it and I left the theater with a strange craving for burnt ham.
I always skip that scene in the movie. It was like Anakin's speech about "sand" and once was enough for me.
Old 05-21-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have watch this movie about 4 times it should be a flim that everyone should watch in there lifetime.Now if they would please put out Holocaust (the Abc minseries)on dvd that would very nice see again.
Old 05-21-07, 11:23 PM
Banned

I thought the movie was A++++ hilarious.
Old 05-21-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Well, looks like you failed the "Am I a robot" test because I can't imagine it not making someone tear up.

It was just one of those movies just hammered in the same depressing point in every single scene. I've teared up in other films when it felt like the director wasn't forcing me to cry.
Old 05-22-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
A great film, no doubt.

However, as far as holocaust films go, I liked The Pianist more.
Old 05-22-07, 12:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Then call me Batty because I thought this was one of the most baldly manipulative movies I've ever seen, and hated it. There are much better Holocaust movies out there than Schindler's List.
Old 05-22-07, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't cry -- it's certainly one of the most powerful films I've ever seen, but I don't tend to cry at films. It's still no less and emotionally wrenching experience though. People are comparing it to The Pianist - I liked the cinematography in that film and individual moments were shocking, but it pales in comparison to Schindler's List as an overall experience.
Old 05-22-07, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't cry during Schindler's list but it was indeed a very moving & powerful movie. The only movie I have ever cried during was the end of The Green Mile when John Coffey was Excuted in the electric chair-That movie is the #1 most powerful movie of all-time in my opinion.
Old 05-22-07, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Then call me Batty because I thought this was one of the most baldly manipulative movies I've ever seen, and hated it. There are much better Holocaust movies out there than Schindler's List.

Well then, you must be a nazi-commi. Good day to you sir.
Old 05-22-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cranberries fan
I have watch this movie about 4 times it should be a flim that everyone should watch in there lifetime.Now if they would please put out Holocaust (the Abc minseries)on dvd that would very nice see again.
It is available from Amazon.fr. Region 2 of course. English soundtrack, no forced subtitles. I've got it.

http://www.amazon.fr/Holocauste-Coff.../dp/B0001ZF5AE
Old 05-22-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoilers still

I've read a lot about the gruesome details of the Holocaust... what happened. I've seen photos, images.

BUT... to see it on film like in Schindler's List is IMO much more moving and effective... not rationally... but emotionally. the Panist left me with quite an impression too.

His end speech really got to me, and the last images with the grave and the stones being placed really got to me.

Also, I am at a point in my life where I find it extremely unsettling and heart breaking that the Holocaust - or any other massacre - could take place, and to the extent it did.

Liam Neeson and Ben Kingsley were excellent...just excellent in their roles. So was Ralph Fiennes.
Old 05-22-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I didn't cry during Schindler's, but I did during E.T.

Guess I'm just goofy, that way.
Old 05-22-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Batman and Robin made me cry, but for different reasons.
Old 05-22-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I heard its a good movie to make out in
Old 05-22-07, 11:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well then, you must be a nazi-commi. Good day to you sir.
Old 05-22-07, 02:07 PM

The speech Schindler gave before leaving the factory seemed awkward and unnatural to me as well. I've heard it somewhere that that was Neeson's and Spielberg's "give me an Oscar, dammit" speech.
Old 05-22-07, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the only scene that made me emotional was the scene where the contents of all the suitcases were being emptied and you could see the countless personal photos and mememto's being thrown aside.
Old 05-22-07, 02:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I didn't cry during Schindler's list but it was indeed a very moving & powerful movie. The only movie I have ever cried during was the end of The Green Mile when John Coffey was Excuted in the electric chair-That movie is the #1 most powerful movie of all-time in my opinion.
I saw that movie with a friend and both he and I were really overcome by the film, it was extremely awkward since I'm the more emotional of the two, I've never seen my friend so emotional moved by a film since.

only one movie at the Palm Spring International Film Festival, 'This Little Life' about a couple and a soon to be born child, had me crying so much, you could have had a mop to clean up all my tears.
Old 05-22-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watch Schindler's List once a year - a masterpiece and extreme tear-dripper, (I had the VHS tape too released in 1995), so I have seen the movie at least 14 times. But then again, I've seen The Matrix about 14 times as well...

Schindler's List is the best Holocaust movie - no other movie compares (inlcuding The Pianist, Life Is Beautiful, or Fateless). The worst Holocaust movie which was so bad and poorly miscast was The Grey Zone. I'm jewish, but I was laughing throughout this whole movie it was so stupid.

If you want to see a serious tear-dripper, rent the Japanese animated movie about the effects of the atomic bomb on a family - Graveyard of the Fireflies. This is a movie, not an anime. If one does not cry during this film, you then are an emotionless zombie.

Last edited by toddly6666; 05-22-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Schindler's List is a movie I watch about once a year or so. But I really have to gear myself up to watching it--it's such a dark movie that I've got to be in the right frame of mind before viewing it. Still, I think it remains just as disturbing after multiple viewings as when I first saw it.

I've yet to see the ABC miniseries on The Holocaust. I was a little young when it first aired to really appreciate it. If they'd ever release it on R1 DVD, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.
Old 05-22-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
I've yet to see the ABC miniseries on The Holocaust. I was a little young when it first aired to really appreciate it. If they'd ever release it on R1 DVD, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.
I saw that on TV when it originally aired. And as a kid I was shocked all the main characters ended up being killed. I'd never seen that before in the movies, usually they escape or were saved in the nick of time.

Welcome to reality.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.