Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Roger Waters tour

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roger Waters tour

Anyone seen Roger Waters on his current 2007 tour? He's in Atlanta Tuesday night and I'm still considering going. It looks like he's doing mostly Pink Floyd material including all of Dark Side Of The Moon. I have had zero interest in the recorded material that David Gilmour has done as Pink Floyd and therefore never considered seeing him live. Waters on the other hand is more Floyd to me... and think seeing him would be pretty cool.
Old 05-21-07, 01:31 PM

Check out this show from 5.3.07, and you probably will get an idea of what the setlist will be like. I would not think it would deviate too much, with all of his production involved.

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/R...05-03Paris.asx

If I lived in Atlanta, I'm sure I would not get too much done otherwise, with all of the live music available.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the show if you go.

Do check out Gilmour's DVD that came out five or so years ago. It's nice. Waters' In the Flesh is very good as well.
Old 05-21-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

duse, thanks for that link. Saw it earlier today and was waiting to get home to listen. Sold me! I felt like a teenager again listening to that... I'm definitely going tomorrow!

A little hesitation is because I work right next to the arena and get off work four hours before the show starts. Gotta fill in some time.

BTW, part of the reason I moved to Atlanta in '89 was because of the music scene. For six years I caught at least one show just about every weekend. Insane. Still pretty damn good pickings each week.
Old 05-21-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those stubborn asses haven't gotten back together yet?
It's not Pink Floyd without all of them together. Poor Syd...
Old 05-22-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that was fast and easy. Posted a blurb on Craigslist about wanting a ticket for half price and had one lined up 30 minutes later. Good seat for $60. I'm quite excited about this show tonight and will be sure to post my opinions afterwards since this thread is on fire I'm trying to catch up on old fart acts I've never seen. Get to 'em before they croak.

If you live in Atlanta and are interested you can get good deals on tickets. Doesn't seem to be too hot of a show.
Old 05-22-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You will LOVE this show. I saw him in Indy last September and he was fantastic...played a lot of stuff I didn't think he'd play.
Old 05-23-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, from the perspective of an extremely jaded concert-goer who wouldn't place any arena show I've seen over the years in my top 10 most enjoyable concerts, last night was pretty good. Nowhere near the best show I've ever seen. Pink Floyd - Waters = no sale. I've always felt that way, but I just experienced how much Gilmour did mean to that band. When Waters was doing his own work it sounded dead on. Wonderful moments. But when his band stepped up to sing Gilmour it totally felt like a tribute band no matter how good these players actually are (and they were fine).

The two solo songs were easily the worst moments of the night. "Leaving Beirut" was a pretty limp song musically speaking, but the lyrics were elementary school left wing goofiness. During the song the lyrics were displayed on a big screen and a pink pig flew around the arena with "Bush is an asshole", "Impeach Bush" and "All religions divide us". I expected this and it kind of made me laugh because some people sitting around me didn't know it was coming and they were really pissed off. Booing.

Anyway, I'm glad I went. Especially for half price and was able to move to a closer seat without having people stand up in front of me. I'll never purchase a floor seat since those people always stand up, even for super mellow moments. I'm too old!

I don't know if this is Waters last big tour as some speculate. I'm just happy I was able to see one more dinosaur before they fade away.
Old 05-23-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Going to go to the vancouver show
Old 05-25-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I caught the show last year in Berlin when I was backpacking around Europe. It was good, but I felt about the same as you. His solo stuff really does nothing for me and I could have done without the preaching. I enjoyed the Pink Floyd Division Bell tour a lot more. That felt like Floyd to me. Rogers doing Foyd just felt like someone covering Floyd. I'm still glad I went though.
Old 05-25-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't mind the Waters solo stuff. Some of it is good.

I own the Waters DVD "In The Flesh" and the Floyd DVD "Pulse". I like them both, they are both great. I think if you are a fan of Floyd music the "Pulse" stuff is definately going to sound more like Floyd and less like a cover band. And that is because of Gilmour. The guitar players that Waters uses are always great players, but they aren't Gilmour and that right there is going to make the songs have a differant sound. Gilmour is also the better singer. So when Gilmour sings the Waters parts you don't notice so much. But when Waters or somebody else sings the Gilmour parts it doesn't sound right. If I remember right, on the DVD, Waters doesn't really sing any of the Gilmour parts, the other band members do. The guitar player sang Money and the keyboard player did Dogs ( I remember those two ). Maybe they would sound more like Floyd if Waters sang them.

Just my take on it.
Old 05-25-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

tcoursen, interesting take. I'll have to check out Pulse. Maybe I'll agree with you, but of the two singers it seems Rogers has a much more distinct and hard to immitate voice. Beyond the vocals of who was filling in for Gilmour I had no problems. I do wonder if I would notice a difference in guitar style/ability.
Old 05-25-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In terms of the guitars it is more a style differance than skill. On the Waters DVD the one guy is a blues guy ( Bramhall ) and the other ( White ) actually played with Floyd on tour back in the 70's and early 80's.

With the vocals I guess it is when you hear Gilmour and/or Waters sing a Floyd song it is still Floyd. But when the Waters replacement keyboard player sings Dogs it just sounds a little bit not like Floyd, and that song is one of the best songs on the Waters DVD. Actually the best part of the Waters DVD is when they do Mother. The Female singer singing the Gilmour parts is great and totally makes the song a better song.

The good thing is that they both play differant stuff, outside of the core stuff. On the Waters DVD there is more songs from the Wall than Gilmour does, plus some stuff from Animals. I don't think Gilmour ever does stuff from Animals. But Gilmour does stuff from Meddle like Echoes and One of These Days. Throw in the solo stuff that they have and it is two fairly differant shows.

If you are into bootlegs and live shows and know how to work a bit torrent client you can check out : http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/

Lots of Floyd boots. Some current, but they have some stuff from the 60's and 70's. A lot of the older shows don't have great sound ( they are bootlegs remember ), but there are some gems in there. 11/16/1974 is a great sounding recording from a BBC show where they played Dark Side of THe Moon. If you want to hear Gilmour and Waters together doing DSOTM live this is the one to hunt down. You can also find good shows from the 1975 tour where they do the whole Wish You Were Here, and 77 shows where they do all of Animals. Back then they didn't play the shows like note per note album repoductions like they do now.
Old 05-26-07, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tcoursen
If you are into bootlegs and live shows...
Yeah, I've got a crapload of 70's boots I've yet to sift through. Some did sound like audience recordings, but it's still fun to hear.

Your comment about female background singers reminded me of a funny moment during the show the other night. During "Great Gig in the Sky" the security guard standing next to us was totally into it. He turned to the guy next to me and was making comments about how awesome she was. I noticed he was bopping along the rest of the show. He probably wasn't even aware of who Pink Floyd was.
Old 05-30-07, 03:29 PM

Atlantamoi,

I just ran across this on sugarmegs. I have not clicked it to listen to the quality yet, but I always enjoy getting shows I've attended.
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/R...-22Atlanta.asx
Old 05-30-07, 03:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw Waters on his In The Flesh tour and enjoyed it a lot. I would still like to see a fully reformed Floyd go on tour, though.
Old 05-30-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by duse
Atlantamoi,

I just ran across this on sugarmegs. I have not clicked it to listen to the quality yet, but I always enjoy getting shows I've attended.
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/R...-22Atlanta.asx
Nice. Thanks for the link. I'll check this out for sure.
Old 02-10-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Well, Waters appears to be doing a couple of shows in the US this spring. Luckily, one of them is in Denver, so I picked up a couple of tickets. I hope it's worth it, as I haven't spent over $30 on a ticket in years. I also haven't had seats in years, so I'll have to suck it up for a night.