Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about recent John Wayne special editions (5/22) - help!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-20-07, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there are special editions coming out Tuesday of True Grit, Rio Bravo, and The Cowboys but I also know there are quite a few new John Wayne releases that day and my question is before I buy these 3 special editions....Are they all in some sort of boxed set too? Is there a huge boxed set of all these movies coming out Tuesday as well that would be better for me to get instead of purchasing these 3 movies separately? What's the best way to buy John Wayne movies this Tuesday? I bought the John Ford/John Wayne box set a while back and I will be double dipping on Grit and Cowboys so I just wondered. Thanks from a Duke fan!
Old 05-20-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, Pilgrims, It's Time To Celebrate the Duke

By Curt Fields
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 18, 2007; Page WE41

John Wayne would be 100 years old on May 26, and it seems as if 100 new DVDs will be coming out to mark the occasion. Okay, that's an exaggeration, although between his days as an extra in the late 1920s until the '70s when he died as one of the most recognizable American actors ever, Wayne was in enough movies to easily pass the 100 mark.

The most impressive of the commemorative releases is "The John Wayne Century Collection" ($99.99, out Tuesday). It features 14 films: "Donovan's Reef," "Hatari!," "The Shootist" (his final film), "The Sons of Katie Elder," "True Grit Special Collector's Edition" (Wayne earned an Academy Award for his performance in this one), "Rio Lobo," "Big Jake," "El Dorado," "In Harm's Way," "Island in the Sky Special Collector's Edition," "Hondo Special Collector's Edition," "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," "The High and the Mighty Special Collector's Edition" and "McLintock! Authentic Collector's Edition."

Several DVD sets out Tuesday feature John Wayne's classic films, including "True Grit." (Paramount Home Entertainment)

Bonus features vary from film to film. A few have commentaries, with several featuring film critic Leonard Maltin. Maureen O'Hara takes part in the commentary on "McLintock!" There are also featurettes, original trailers and photo galleries on some of the films.

Slimmed-down sets are also being released Tuesday. If you want to see "The Duke" only in a cowboy hat and don't care for any film that has him in a suit or military uniform, then you'll want "The John Wayne Western Collection" ($70). It features "True Grit Special Collector's Edition," "Hondo Special Collector's Edition," "McLintock! Authentic Collector's Edition," "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," "The Shootist," "Big Jake," "Rio Lobo," "The Sons of Katie Elder" and "El Dorado." And "The John Wayne Adventure Collection" ($37) includes "The High and the Mighty Special Collector's Edition," "Island in the Sky Special Collector's Edition," "In Harm's Way," "Donovan's Reef" and "Hatari!"

Also coming out Tuesday is "The John Wayne Film Collection" ($50), which consists of "Allegheny Uprising," "Reunion in France," "Without Reservations," "Tycoon," "Big Jim McLain" and "Trouble Along the Way." To help enhance the old-time feeling of a Saturday afternoon munching popcorn in the dark, each film comes with a vintage short and cartoon.

Many titles will also be released individually. "Rio Bravo," one of those films that's almost guaranteed to make you stop and watch if you stumble across it on television, is coming out in a two-disc "Ultimate Collector's Edition" ($40). Directed by Howard Hawks, it is one of the most watchable westerns ever thanks to an easy chemistry between Wayne and cast mates Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Walter Brennan and Angie Dickinson. It doesn't exactly scream "Acting heavyweights at work!," but it was so watchable in fact that Hawks and Wayne teamed to make essentially the same film again seven years later with "El Dorado," which was the same basic plot with a few tweaks and a different cast (Robert Mitchum, James Caan).

Extras with the remastered "Rio Bravo" include commentary by film critic Richard Schickel and John Carpenter, whose 1976 film "Assault on Precinct 13" was inspired by "Rio Bravo"; the 1973 documentary "The Men Who Made the Movies: Howard Hawks"; two new featurettes, "Commemoration: Howard Hawks' 'Rio Bravo' " and "Old Tucson: Where the Legends Walked"; and a reproduction of an old comic book based on the movie.

"The Cowboys Deluxe Edition" ($20) and "True Grit Special Collector's Edition" ($20) are also being released individually. "The Cowboys" has such extras as a commentary by director Mark Rydell, while "True Grit" has several featurettes and a commentary by film historians Jeb Rosebrook, Bob Boze Bell and J. Stuart Rosebrook.

Released earlier this month were "John Wayne Collection Vol. 1" and "John Wayne Collection Vol. 2" (each $25). "Vol. 1" has the remastered version of John Ford's "The Quiet Man" previously released in 2004, World War II films "Flying Tigers" and "Sands of Iwo Jima" and the seafaring "The Wake of the Red Witch." "Vol. 2" has Ford's "Rio Grande," the comedy "A Lady Takes a Chance," "The Fighting Kentuckian" and the western "Dakota."

Old 05-20-07, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Thanks!
Old 05-21-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That Century Box looks pretty sweet.