Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

To Each His Own Cinema (Chacun son cinéma)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 03:03 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this is quite a surprise: To Each His Own Cinema, which just premiered at Cannes, is being released on DVD in France on 25 May. Can anyone confirm if it's going to come with English subs for those shorts that require them?
Old 05-20-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There is a multitude of languages, as you imply, and unfortunately the answer to your question is: French subs only.

Pro-B
Old 05-20-07, 03:22 PM
Cool New Member

I've just done a bit of searching about, and according to these two websites, it does in fact come with English subs? So what's the deal do you think, pro-bassoonist? Definitely no English subs from your source?

Last edited by W. Minge; 05-20-07 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-20-07, 03:39 PM
Cool New Member

I found a couple sites (including Fnac.com) that state French subs only, but here's one that should surely be accurate: http://www.cannes2007.com/dvd=80447.html. And it says English subs. Is there any way to tell for 100% sure, short of actually purchasing the DVD?
Old 05-21-07, 04:25 AM
Cool New Member

Okay, this should just about guarantee that it comes with English subs: http://www.studiocanaldvd.com/fr/pro..._scv_36947.php.

What was your source, pro-b?
Old 05-21-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by W. Minge
What was your source, pro-b?
Sorry for the delay. Was away for a day!

I get a MAIS industry letter (retailer info that is forwared to me). I don't see English subs there and they tend to be rather accurate. The link to Studio Canal above however is a good reason to believe that perhaps the disc is indeed English-friendly.

I will be surprised if it is as it is a multi-language production but an official listing like the one above is a credible source . I would still recommend that you wait for a review that confirms them as if I recall correctly some time ago Banlieue 13 was listed on the distrib's official site as being subbed in English and Arabic (not by Studio Canal) yet the retailer version was not!!

With this film however it is rather different as this is a high-profile title (Cannes) so perhaps they did offer a second sub-option.

My advise, wait for a review to confirm them!

Pro-B
Old 05-21-07, 03:20 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the response, pro-b.

I think I'm gonna take the risk and just order the damn thing. I'll let y'all know next week what the deal is. If there are no English subs, at least I'll still be able to enjoy some of the shorts -- those that are in English or have little to no dialogue. Hell, I think the whole deal will still be watchable, regardless of subtitles.

I would find it odd, I must say, if it doesn't have English subs. I imagine that it's available to purchase in Cannes -- you could probably sail down the Croisette right now and easily pick up a copy -- so to cater only to French audiences does seem a little bizarre.
Old 05-27-07, 02:01 PM

Any confirmation for English subtitles (menu screenshots / backcover)...?
Old 05-28-07, 02:01 AM
Cool New Member

With a bit of luck, I should be able to confirm whether it has Anglais subs or not later on today -- i.e., in about 12 or 13 hours time (perhaps sooner).
Old 05-28-07, 09:19 AM

Thanks W. Minge, I'm looking forward to your confirmation.
Old 05-28-07, 10:10 AM
Cool New Member

Sooner, as it turns out. I've just checked one of the foreign language shorts on the disc -- it says Anglais on the back of the cover, but I had to make sure -- and it does indeed come with English subtitles. I haven't checked the extras yet (which basically amount to slightly longer versions of a few of the shorts), but I'm sure they must come with English subs as well. I'm going to watch the film tonight, as well as the extras, and will report back again later.
Old 05-28-07, 03:10 PM
Cool New Member

Just finished watching it. Picture and sound quality are very good as far as I can tell. English subs were fine, appearing when needed. I took a quick look at one of the extended shorts, and they seem to come equipped with English subtitles as well.

There's just one glaring flaw: For whatever reason, the Coen brothers' contribution, World Cinema, has been left out -- there are 32 shorts on the DVD and not 33. I would still recommend it, unless you're only interested in the Coens' short.
Old 05-30-07, 11:38 AM

Why no Coens?

I was thrilled to get the DVD yesterday (ordered from FNAC, with shipping charges about equal to the cost of the disc!) but was really let down by the exclusion of the Coen's film. Does anybody have any insight as to why it was left off?

CLIMATES was my favorite film of 2006, and the thought of them using it in their short sounded fascinating. Would love to know why it's not on the disc.
Old 06-28-07, 10:13 PM

From Variety.com

Chacun Son Cinema

It's now possible to order the DVD in France of the Cannes Festival collection of 33 shorts, Chacun Son Cinema, although Filmbrain didn't get the one by the Coens for some reason (which is particularly funny, starring No Country For Old Men's Josh Brolin). He ordered his from FNAC. UPDATE: According to Variety's Todd McCarthy, who couldn't score a DVD in Cannes, David Lynch handed his short in too late to make the official unveiling, so it was shown in front of Wong Kar Wai's My Blueberry Nights, and will be included, along with a second Walter Salles short, on a deluxe pre-holiday DVD in October. The Toronto Star's Peter Howell "tried mightily to buy one in person at the FNAC store in Cannes," he writes."They sold out of all their copies on the first day of release."
Hopefully the Coen Brothers' will be included on that release as well. I really want to see this but don't really have a desire to watch it incomplete.

There is also talk of an American release but I don't really know anything about that.
Old 01-30-08, 11:31 AM

HK version now listed, it's not the SE, though.

http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_detai...ProductID=8152

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1010061028/

Last edited by dleedlee; 01-30-08 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dleedlee
Looks like the HK version includes not Coen brothers, but David Lynch though...
Old 02-15-08, 10:37 PM
Banned

Any review of the HK version? It's only $18.95 at xploitedcinema.
Old 10-15-08, 09:34 AM

hi everybody, I'm writing my thesis on the Coen brothers and I would really like to know which dvd version includes their 'World Cinema' short.
I have watched a version of 'Chacun son cinema' without it. I loved it, but was disappointed by their absence.
Can anyone please help me figure this out?

has anyone seen it?
Old 10-15-08, 09:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well I'm confused, the disc I own DOES include the Coen brother's short

does the $19 disc AND $30 region 2 disc have the Lynch short?

although neither one list the Coen brother in the director's list

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/ch...l-p-12054.html
http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/ch...n-p-13437.html

~

CHACUN SON CINEMA [CANNES FILM FESTIVAL]
(TO EACH HIS OWN CINEMA)
[3553]

Stock Status: In Stock $29.95
Label: Studio Canal
Genre: Art House
Year: 2006

CHACUN SON CINEMA (TO EACH HIS OWN CINEMA) is a compilation of 33 three-minute films made by leading international auteurs on the occasion of the Cannes Film Festival's 60th birthday. Each director was totally free to make his own three-minute film on the theme of the movie theatre, a place sacred to the world's film buffs.

Directors include:
Theodoros Angelopoulos
Olivier Assayas
Bille August
Jane Campion
Youssef Chahine
Kaige Chen
Michael Cimino
David Cronenberg
Jean-Pierre Dardenne
Luc Dardenne
Manoel de Oliveira
Raymond Depardon
Atom Egoyan
Amos Gitai
Hou Hsiao-hsien
Alejandro González Ińárritu
Aki Kaurismäki
Abbas Kiarostami
Takeshi Kitano
Andrei Konchalovsky
Claude Lelouch
Ken Loach
Nanni Moretti
Roman Polanski
Raoul Ruiz
Walter Salles
Elia Suleiman
Tsai Ming-liang
Gus Van Sant
Lars von Trier
Wim Wenders
Yimou Zhang
Kar Wai Wong

DVD FEATURES
Anamorphic (16:9) Widescreen
5.1 and 2.0 Audio Options (Various languages)
Optional English (for non-English segments) and French subtitles
Alternate version of "The Electric Princess Picture House" (Hou Hsiao-hsien)
Long Version of "Anna" (Alejandro González Ińárritu)
Long Version of "No Translation Needed" (Michael Cimino)

~

I'd buy the region 2 edition just to see:

Alternate version of "The Electric Princess Picture House" (Hou Hsiao-hsien)
Long Version of "Anna" (Alejandro González Ińárritu)
Long Version of "No Translation Needed" (Michael Cimino)

Last edited by Giles; 10-15-08 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-15-08, 11:41 AM

I had forgotten that I wanted this too. I am also interested to know if anyone knows whether the Lynch short is included or not. Also, does anybody know what is special about the 2-disc version available at Amazon.fr?

http://www.amazon.fr/Chacun-son-cine...4088619&sr=1-1

Thanks.
Old 10-16-08, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AmonTwin
I had forgotten that I wanted this too. I am also interested to know if anyone knows whether the Lynch short is included or not. Also, does anybody know what is special about the 2-disc version available at Amazon.fr?

http://www.amazon.fr/Chacun-son-cine...4088619&sr=1-1

Thanks.
I own the French 2 disc version, the David Lynch segment 'Absurda' is included on the 2nd disc along with a 60 min segment of various interviews etc (No subtitles on the interviews where French is spoken)
Old 10-16-08, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by RichDB10
I own the French 2 disc version, the David Lynch segment 'Absurda' is included on the 2nd disc along with a 60 min segment of various interviews etc (No subtitles on the interviews where French is spoken)

Thank you very much....
Old 11-07-08, 08:29 AM

Hi Giles! Which DVD of CHACUN SON CINEMA do you own that includes the Coens´short?
Much obliged for any info!
Old 11-07-08, 04:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
saw your posting, let me find the disc and I'll post back - cause now I'm interested in how I saw both shorts, the Lynch one and the Coen one.
Old 01-22-09, 09:38 AM

Re: To Each His Own Cinema (Chacun son cinéma)

Originally Posted by Giles
saw your posting, let me find the disc and I'll post back - cause now I'm interested in how I saw both shorts, the Lynch one and the Coen one.
Hello Giles

I was excited to come upon this thread as I've been hoping for a way to get this disc in full, with the Coens segment. But you haven't yet replied, as far as I can see, since this last post (above). Hope you get this message and that you might be able to let me know the details of the disc(s) you have that would afford me the full access.

btw

If you have the 2-disc French edtion, could you possibly tell me if any of the extra interviews by David Cronenberg, Atom Egoyan or the Coens (if there are any) are in English?

Many thanks, in anticipation.

Andy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.