Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Problems at Poker Industries?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Anyone else ever use this company? I've ordered a bit of stuff from them in the past, but nothing for a couple of years - my purchasing experiences with them had always been good. Anyway, I'm still on their mailing list. This year, there have been some oddly dramatic sales. Earlier a 20% sale, extending to a 30% sale, then turning into a 40% sale. I just got an e-mail telling me now the sale is up to 50% - applicable to everything they have, and the code having unlimited uses!

I'm not complaining about sales but ... are they going out of business or something? There have been no updates to the "New Arrivals" section on their web since January, and the huge sales make it seem like they're flushing their stock. Does anyone here maybe have more detailed knowledge of the fate of this company? I hate to see good places go under.

Though like I said, I haven't ordered from them for a while. For a combination of reasons: better/more R1 releases mean less speculating for more expensive (and/or less English friendly) foreign region releases, not as interested in the type of movies they carry (heavily HK weighted), and just less DVD purchases in general (I find myself Netflixing more, while waiting for a HD winner to emerge).
Old 05-11-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured they were fading out towards an eventual closing. I got their emails every week but I haven't for a while. not sure what the problem is. mind sharing the code??
Old 05-11-07, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
brainee .. you might want to give the guy a shot. Or at least send an email inquiry to see if he has what your in search of available for purchasing. Can't hurt.

I ordered an out of print limited edition import from Poker about 3 weeks ago. A coupon code was also applied and subsequently honored by the way!! The item was shipped USPS priority and arrived within 3 days. I was very happy with all of that.

It was my only order ever with Poker and was done only because I couldn't track down this particular release anywhere else - out of a possible 30+ online vendors. The only thing that I did have a problem with was the fact that no confirmation email was ever sent to me verifiying the sale or when the package was shipped ..or intended to be.

So .. YMMV but I wouldn't have a problem ordering from Poker again.

Last edited by visitor Q; 05-11-07 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-13-07, 03:36 PM

I've ordered form them a couple of times, but only when they were the only place I could locate a particular want. They tend to be way overpriced for HK DVDs when compared to DDDHouse or Buyoyo (even with the shipping), and overpriced for Korean DVDs when compared to YesAsia or DVDHeaven.

However, if you are getting 40 and 50 percent off codes, it could be a good score.

I am not able to answer your question about the business future of PI.
Old 05-13-07, 06:27 PM

If brainee or anyone else visiting this forum could post (or send by E-mail) the current code for the 50% discount at Pokerindustries, it would be greatly appreciated. I had two orders with Poker a couple of years ago and everything went smoothly but have had no recent experiences with them . Thanks.
Old 06-11-07, 10:50 PM

So, no further info on the 50% off code?
Old 06-12-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
They're not really in trouble. They are converting from a most Asian DVD store to mainly a cult / niche DVD retailer (not that Asian DVD's aren't a niche) which is the reason for the massive sales. Actually, there comic book section is the section in danger of going out of business.