Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Symphony X - Paradise Lost (6/26/07)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-11-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tracklisting is:

01. Oculus ex Inferni
02. Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
03. Domination
04. The Serpent’s Kiss
05. Paradise Lost
06. Eve of Seduction
07. The Walls of Babylon
08. Seven
09. The Sacrifice
10. Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia)

Samples can be heard here:
http://www.spv.de/scripts/ktrack_e.a...r=79252&label=

Or, if you really can't wait, and know where to look, ...............

I just listened to the whole thing. It sounds really good. It seems even heavier than The Odyssey, which I'm sure will piss off a lot of their old-school fans though.
Old 05-11-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im betting Ill be the only poster to this thread, but I cant wait for this CD.

SX is a great group of guys, I hung out with the band and theyre really cool. Russel is a bit of a bitch though and wouldnt even greet the fans cause he was too busy crying. He gave a black eye to thier image for me and a few others.

I wont hear those clips until I just get the CD.
Old 05-11-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I almost started a thread earlier but didn't because I figured it would die a quick painless death.

Anyway, just listened to The Serpent's Kiss on the band's Myspace Page. Good stuff.

I love Divine Wings of Tragedy but hated the follow up, Twilight in Olympus. V was decent. Haven't really listened to Odyssey. Guess I should catch up. The new song was pretty good.
Old 05-11-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
SX is a great group of guys, I hung out with the band and theyre really cool. Russel is a bit of a bitch though and wouldnt even greet the fans cause he was too busy crying. He gave a black eye to thier image for me and a few others.
Really? He has shaken my hand all 3 times I've seen them.
Old 05-11-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We should probably just start a general "2007 prog" thread as this will be a great year and the same people will likely be posting. We have:

- Pain of Salvation - Scarsick starting the year
- String Quartet - Tribute to Dream Theater earlier in the year also
- Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos in June
- Symphony X - Paradise Lost in July
- Queensryche's - Mindcrime at the Moore in July as well
- Ayreon - "Number 7" should be out by the end of the year
- James Labrie's - True Symphonic Rockestra should hit any day now, it was mastered back in September
Old 05-11-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
You can put me in the "these guys rule!" column. I wish they were opening for Dream Theater in the US like they are in Europe.
Old 05-11-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
The Odyssey just kills. Great album. Hopefully this one is as good.
Old 05-21-07, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
We should probably just start a general "2007 prog" thread as this will be a great year and the same people will likely be posting. We have:

- Pain of Salvation - Scarsick starting the year
- String Quartet - Tribute to Dream Theater earlier in the year also
- Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos in June
- Symphony X - Paradise Lost in July
- Queensryche's - Mindcrime at the Moore in July as well
- Ayreon - "Number 7" should be out by the end of the year
- James Labrie's - True Symphonic Rockestra should hit any day now, it was mastered back in September

A thread like that should be started. Thought it probably be us few. I hardly hit up the music forum cause all the music I like I get news on from blabbermouth

Out of all those CDs you list Im only looking forward to the new Ayreon and Sx. IM different than all prog lovers... I despise Labrie and Dream THeater because of him. He practically ruiined Human Equation. Him and that awful girl from Mexico.... blech!
Old 05-21-07, 05:13 PM

So far Paradise Lost & Systematic Chaos have proven to be kickass cd's for me - PL has been in constant rotation on my Zen Vision:M for the past 2 weeks.

Can;t wait to pick up the CD & (hopefully) check out the tour.
Old 05-21-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't been able to get away from Scarsick. Came out in January I think. It's never far from my cd player. I've listened to it at least 100 times already. Probably my favorite CD since Frameshift's Absence of Empathy in 04.
Old 05-22-07, 12:19 PM

I completely forgot they were making a new cd. I couldn't wait and found some 'samples' and it sounds pretty awesome so far. I'm definitely going to try and see them in concert when they come to Houston this summer if i can get anyone to go with me. And im digging that cover definitely their best imo.
Old 05-23-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Out of all those CDs you list Im only looking forward to the new Ayreon and Sx. IM different than all prog lovers... I despise Labrie and Dream THeater because of him. He practically ruiined Human Equation. Him and that awful girl from Mexico.... blech!
What do you have against Marcela Bovio? I even like Arjen's Stream of Passion project/band.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I haven't been able to get away from Scarsick. Came out in January I think. It's never far from my cd player. I've listened to it at least 100 times already.
That is one band that I just cannot get into. I have Scarsick downloaded, just haven't gotten around to delete it yet. Disco Queen is kind of funny, but I didn't care for America.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 05-23-07 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-23-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweet! I hadn't checked their site recently to see whether they had any studio updates posted.
I've seen them twice in Minneapolis now, and will definitely go when they come through again. It amazes me that they don't have a bigger following than they do. I loved the direction they took The Odyssey (a little heavier/harsher), and am eager to hear what they've come up with this time.

Can't wait until 6/26
Old 05-23-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was just listening to Scarsick on the way back from lunch. Disco Queen took a few listens before I bought into it, you definitely have to have an open mind though to get through those first few listens. America has a funny vibe. The music and the hooks are great, as well as vocals but the anti-American lyrics really bug me, but the good outweighs the bad. It's still a great song. Personally I think Scarsick, Spitfall, & Kingdom of Loss are worth the price of admission alone.

Did you try Be?

As for Arjen/Ayreon, I think he is excellent at choosing the perfect mix of vocalists.
Old 05-23-07, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Really? He has shaken my hand all 3 times I've seen them.
I forgot to eloborate on this. I saw Russel, but he was PISSED at the show cause Blind Guardian blew out the power and the gig was canceled. The band did lose money. While he pouted and hid in the bus EVERYONE else hung out outside with a few fans. I must have been around Romeo and Panella for about an hour or 2. We got pics, autographs, everything. Lepond took off with some locals to get Mexican food and Rullo went to the bus to call his wife. Me and about 5 friends hung out with the 2 Mikes. It was surreal, I even ran out of things to say! But that experience showed how great they were and pissed me off that Russel couldnt come out to say hi. Romeo even told me "man were going to hook you up with some shirts" He didnt give em away but gave them to us discounted. He really is a great guy. Not to mention my love of BG was severley tainted that day since they didnt even hang out with the fans. As soon as they blew out the power they took off in their bus. Boooo!

Anyway, Ill reply on the Mex chick later
Old 05-23-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That is weak. Especially since he had nothing better to do. Why not make it up to a handful of fans by just hangin' out for a bit and maybe signing a few things? Definitely a dick move, but also sounds like it was only because of circumstances.
Old 05-23-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot to eloborate on this. I saw Russel, but he was PISSED at the show cause Blind Guardian blew out the power and the gig was canceled. The band did lose money. While he pouted and hid in the bus EVERYONE else hung out outside with a few fans. I must have been around Romeo and Panella for about an hour or 2. We got pics, autographs, everything. Lepond took off with some locals to get Mexican food and Rullo went to the bus to call his wife. Me and about 5 friends hung out with the 2 Mikes. It was surreal, I even ran out of things to say! But that experience showed how great they were and pissed me off that Russel couldnt come out to say hi. Romeo even told me "man were going to hook you up with some shirts" He didnt give em away but gave them to us discounted. He really is a great guy. Not to mention my love of BG was severley tainted that day since they didnt even hang out with the fans. As soon as they blew out the power they took off in their bus. Boooo!

Anyway, Ill reply on the Mex chick later
I remember reading about that when it happened. Someone else who was there had posted it on their board. I think it was the same person that went to get Mexican food with Lepond if I recall.

Blind Guardian is great! I saw them when I was just starting to get into them so I didn't know too many of the songs yet. Wish I had gone this time around.

We're also forgetting the new Kamelot CD in this thread.
Old 05-24-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
We're also forgetting the new Kamelot CD in this thread.
added it to the list and started a new thread.
Old 05-30-07, 06:28 PM

I recently caught their show in NYC and the new material sounds great! I'm also elated to see so many Prog/ Power metal fans on this forum! I seem to find fans of the genre in the unlikeliest of places!

Oh and the new Iron Savior disc is awesome as well!
Old 05-30-07, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by truemindframe
Oh and the new Iron Savior disc is awesome as well!
New Iron Savior??? Damn, I have been slack in not being aware of that!

Originally Posted by truemindframe
I seem to find fans of the genre in the unlikeliest of places!
Although I'd stumbled across Sym X before and had downloaded a couple of mp3s to sample their wares, but the first place I actually bought some Sym X cds was in Thailand at a small stall in a night market in Chiang Rai, run by a long haired leather-clad hill tribesman who happened to be right into prog and power metal

I also picked up Luca Turilli's 'Prophet of the Last Eclipse', a Stratovarius disc whose title escapes me, and as it happens, Iron Savior's 'Dark Assault' - and they were even genuine ones, an unusual occurence for Thailand I suspect!
Old 06-08-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sirius 27 played Set the World on Fire this morning.
Old 06-25-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I saw 3 copies of the regular digi-pak CD at my local record store today (no sign of any SEs). I've never seen such bad packaging. The cardboard was flimsier than usual, there is no band name or title on the spine, its on the TOP edge for some reason and it looks like it flips upward to open. Plus the store had the things crammed into the long security trays, so they were a bit crushed.

If I never get a hold of the SE, I'm not buying this CD unless its at least in a regular jewel case.
Old 06-26-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oddly enough, I had never heard of these guys before. My first exposure to them came from a downloaded pron video that used "Evolution" as the soundtrack. That song rocked and I picked up the "V" CD and really enjoyed it.
Old 06-26-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine today with the "FYE Bonus DVD" for $16.99. Great CD (as I already knew) but worst packaging EVER! You just know those flimsy cardboard "fingers" are going to end up all bent to shit.

And who's idea was it to booger-glue the DVD to the back of it? Wasn't the shrink wrap enough to hold it there?

If I ever do come across the jewel case version, I will likely get it and ditch this one in the nearest USED bin.

The DVD itself is "home movies" of different shows. Its pretty much Cliff 'em All quality stuff, but kind of coll to see.

Here's a picture of all three versions someone else posted on the SyX board:

Last edited by Snowmaker; 06-26-07 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I picked this up over the weekend. That packaging cannot last. I'll just set aside the original packaging, and carry it around in a jewel case.
It's really cool looking and all, but man is it flimsy.

Oh well.....what I bought it for is the content, which is fricking awesome. They're continuing their progression into heavier riffs, which is totally cool with me. I'm definitely going to their show in St. Paul later this month (even though Station 4 is the single worst concert venue I've ever attended.....)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.