Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

REQUEST: Please stop posting deals "with Google Checkout"

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

REQUEST: Please stop posting deals "with Google Checkout"

Old 05-11-07, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REQUEST: Please stop posting deals "with new member Google Checkout"

So many regular readers of this forum have already signed up and used their Google Checkout discount long, long ago.

I am requesting that when people post deals, please do not include deals that rely on $10 off from a New Google Checkout Membership as it is not really a new deal. There should be a sticky thread deal for the $10 off with New Google Checkout Membership. Other deals should not rely on this extra discount as their only means of being a deal!

I could go through every item on buy.com or other stores and post it as a new thread listing the price as $10 off and call it a new deal w/GCO--but it's not really a new deal at all!

-Kyle

Last edited by kyle; 05-11-07 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-11-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kyle
So many regular readers of this forum have already signed up and used their Google Checkout discount long, long ago.

-Kyle
FYI, you can get a new discount with every gmail address you have. Some of us have several.
Old 05-11-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kayak99
FYI, you can get a new discount with every gmail address you have. Some of us have several.
As evidenced by Google's canceling of many people's recent orders, this doesn't appear to have been Google's intent. While I could not immediately find it specifically written anywhere on their site, I suspect that they intended it to be 1 "new" account discount per (home) address, not email address.

By signing up with multiple emails, you are pretty much scamming the system and opening yourself up to a lot more spam and possible identity theft.

I wish Google would just end this promotion so this board is not flooded with these "fake" deals. When the new member GC discount is the ONLY thing making something a deal, DON'T POST IT.

As Kyle mentioned, I could just start creating threads for each and every item on buy.com and say its a "deal w GCO".

ViewSonic 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 209.99 w/ GCO
Barbra Streisand: Live In Concert 2006 - 5.98 w/ GCO
Playskool Le Cafe Set - No $10 Shipping Surcharge w/ GCO

This is getting ridiculous!
Give us some deals for existing GC members.

Last edited by Brett; 05-11-07 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-11-07, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by kayak99
FYI, you can get a new discount with every gmail address you have.
Then that should be the deal posted--not specific items where the only deal is the GCO deal.
Old 05-11-07, 08:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Agree 100% with the OP. Unless the Google Checkout promo includes existing customers, it shouldn't be posted.

I have no problem with posting a main "Google offering $10 off for new customers" thread, but there's no need to highlight particular deals.
Old 05-11-07, 08:46 AM
Suspended

Man, I couldn't agree more.

First time sign-up discounts should be referred to as something besides a 'deal'

maybe there could be a 'one-time deal' area... idk.

but yeah, really tired of seeing this AND PayPal sign-ups posted as "Save X% on X title!!! (w/GCO) or "Get X title for only x.xx!!! (you have to use PayPal!)"
Old 05-11-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

***Complete Patrick Macnee Avengers Saga for only $829.25 w/ GCO*** at Buy.com
Old 05-11-07, 09:05 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
amen!
Old 05-11-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep
Old 05-11-07, 09:27 AM

^^^^^Ditto^^^^^^
Old 05-11-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by An4h0ny
Man, I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-11-07, 09:33 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

equivilent to:

Hey! Star Trek, the complete series for $80 (if you find a $50 bill on the street!)
Old 05-11-07, 10:05 AM

Amen. Fuck Google Check Out.
Old 05-11-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know why all the hate exists for GCO deals. People are usually only posting ones that are great deals before the GCO and phenominal deals after. It's not like there are more than a couple posted a week.

If you don't like them, why not try ignoring them?

PS. Maybe it worked better for everybody when the GCO deals were all posted in the GCO topic, instead of each getting their own.
Old 05-11-07, 10:28 AM

I could take this one step further and say please stop posting deals for sams or costco as these are membership only stores and everyone does not have a membership, that all posted deals should be for deals that everyone can take advantage of
Old 05-11-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
PS. Maybe it worked better for everybody when the GCO deals were all posted in the GCO topic, instead of each getting their own.
A number of posts (op included) suggest that as well.
Old 05-11-07, 10:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jgorow
I could take this one step further and say please stop posting deals for sams or costco as these are membership only stores and everyone does not have a membership, that all posted deals should be for deals that everyone can take advantage of

THIS I don't agree with... I'm not a member of any of those stores, but this is different than GCO IMO. GCO is sort of a one-and-done deal, this, is just different.
Old 05-11-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I think the Sams and Costco and BJ's deals are a little different, because pretty much anyone *can* get a membership. Whether or not that membership fee is worth it, is another question. If the argument is "there's an additional cost to shopping there", then that could apply to any deal/store--there's an additional cost to Fry's deals for me, because the closest one is six states away. The GCO deal, like some Buy.com deals, is primarily good one time for a new customer, fraudulent re-signups notwithstanding (and isn't there something in the FAQ or ToS of DVDTalk that allegedly prohibits deals that require fraud/misrepresentation?)
I'd agree with putting 'good finds with coupon code' in the main GCO thread, and not treat them as individual deals.
Old 05-11-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
equivilent to:

Hey! Star Trek, the complete series for $80 (if you find a $50 bill on the street!)

LOL....very true. The other type of thread lists X title for $5.99...after the member used the $25 gift card their grandma gave them or their rewards coupons...For the love of common sense. I wonder how some folks make it to the internet each day and figure out how to post a thread?

I think some members like to feel like they are contributing, some just enjoy seeing their member name in print or yearn for the dvdtalk pat on the back for posting a deal.

Oh well, did I mention about the misprice I found at Walmart? $9.95 2 disc Dreamgirls, reg. $19.95. It was the only one mispriced of the 30 in stock...but you should check to see if someone else made the same mistake in your store....oh and buy a lottery ticket...someone won a lottery jackpot last week somewhere.
Old 05-11-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I say keep it to its own thread as well. Treat it like the CH threads if you want to use it. Otherwise why not have a thread for each title that is available for only 49cents by enrolling at CH.
Old 05-11-07, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jgorow
The one difference there is people COULD still get the deal if they already belong, choose to belong, or use a free pass--it's not a one-time thing that you either used ages ago, or are scamming the system by creating a whole bunch of accounts for. The savings of the deal may out-weigh the cost of membership for those who don't belong or are on the fence about joining.

I personally like those deals because I don't go to those stores every week--and it helps me decide if I want to make the effort to go.
Old 05-11-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, if it is not a deal without GCO do not post it. It is getting old.
Old 05-11-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by speedyray
Yeah, if it is not a deal without GCO do not post it. It is getting old.
Really? How old?

Are you guys really that sick of reading a new posting about a GCO every two or three weeks? Is it that much of a stress for you to ignore?

I agree that the run of the mill GCO "deals" belong in the GCO topic, where they usually stay. I also think that an exceptional deal, like the Band Of Brothers posting that I'm assuming sparked this outrage, is worth posting by itself. Remember, not everybody has participated in the GCO deal. And, DVDtalk does get new members every now and then. How many of them think to track down the GCO thread and see what it's all about?

I think an occasional reminder is worth posting, even if it were truly a 1-time-use opportunity.
Old 05-11-07, 11:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peep
Really? How old?
I just think that.. it's already known. It's a standing deal that's been out there, not something new.

If there was a deal that was happening for a certain period of time that's news and people should know that.

But GCO is always on and always available.

I see it exactly the same as creating a "Free shipping at Amazon if you spend $25 or more!" thread.

Yes, that's a 'deal', but the vast majority of people already know that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel about it.

The GCO discount rocks. But it's not technically a 'deal' in my eyes and those threads just take up space. They don't bother me. I just don't click them.

But every time I see one I do think "Ah.. I remember when I first discovered GCO." Cause it's a cool thing to find. Then you get over it and move on with your life.
Old 05-11-07, 12:31 PM

Here, here!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.