Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Got Somebody Else's Order Confirmation from Deep Discount?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This morning I recieved an email confirmation from DeepDiscount.com for an order that I did not place. In fact, it is the name and address of someone completely different!

My credit card does not appear to have any new charges from them and my order history does not show this order (which includes Talladega Nights BR). I plan on calling them this morning to notify them of the situation, but I was wondering if this was an isolated incident or another one of the mass screw-ups that DDD is sometime prone to (i.e. the account mix-up thing a few years back). Anyway, I love them to death regardless and, as always, I'm looking forward to the next sale. I just don't like the idea of personal info being emailed to complete strangers.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 05-10-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Could be a scam with someone trying to get you to click on the link in the email where you'll type in your account name and password to look at your account. This will give them your account info and if your cc is on file they can order dvd's and have them sent to another address. If this is the case it could be someone from this forum because they used a more obscure company.
Old 05-18-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Follow up

So I called DD immediately after the incident and they referred me to Bill Me Later. So I called Bill Me Later and explained the situation. They said that someone must have typed in the wrong email address and it would be marked on the account as invalid.

BUT... in the coming days, I continued to receive emails from Bill Me Later regarding this customer. On top of that, I had not received a shipment from DD that I ordered a month ago. I know their shipping is snails pace, but a month?

So I checked my order status and it said, "You have requested to cancel this order, request is being processed." Needless to say, I did not request this so I called DD again. This time they could not find any of my orders or even my account. Instead, they showed this "mystery person" whose order confirmations I'd been receiving.

After some time on hold, it was determined that through a "glitch in the system" account information from various accounts got mixed up. The CSR replaced my order (with the correct sale prices from the last AB sale), he also gave me free next day shipping. He also assured me that the error was corrected and that none of my info was compromised.

I wanted to post this because the "glitch" sounded like it may have been a system-wide thing where many accounts could have been effected. So if you have not received an order you placed and "unusually long time ago" or if you have received emails for orders you have not placed, you may want to call DD customer service.
Old 05-20-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DD is weird, they have great prices, but their communications system needs to be improved. Sometimes I get confirmation/shipped emails from them, sometimes I don't. Seems totally random. Never got someone elses, though.
Old 05-20-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I received someone else's order from DD once- three (!) copies of Encino Man.