Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Killer of Deadwood, Rome, Carnevale brought to justice!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 10:17 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't see a thread on this yet so thought I'd throw it out there...

The douchebag at HBO who decided to end some of their best shows in their prime had a bad night. Maybe he was drunk when he decided to kill off these shows too...

TIME WARNER GRANTS LEAVE TO HBO CEO ALBRECHT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Chris Albrecht, chief executive officer of the pay-cable TV network HBO, was granted a paid leave of absence on Tuesday pending the outcome of his weekend arrest on suspicion of assaulting his girlfriend.

Albrecht, 54, who has served as HBO chairman and CEO since 2002, said in a statement that "the incident" in Las Vegas on Sunday was a "wake-up call" that prompted him to ask for a temporary leave to deal with a recurring drinking problem.

"I had been a sober member of Alcoholic Anonymous for thirteen years," Albrecht wrote. "Two years ago, I decided that I could handle drinking again. Clearly, I was wrong."

Albrecht said he was not "at liberty" to discuss his run-in with the law, but said he was "deeply sorry for what occurred" and for "any embarrassment it caused my family, the company I love and myself."

Richard Parsons, chairman of HBO parent company Time Warner Inc., said Albrecht was granted leave, at his request, "pending the resolution of the police incident."

"We take these matters very seriously and will monitor this situation closely," Parsons said. A network spokeswoman added that Albrecht was placed on paid leave.

HBO's chief operating officer,
Bill Nelson, will assume Albrecht's duties for the time being, Time Warner said.

Albrecht was arrested early Sunday morning on suspicion of domestic battery after police officers observed him assaulting a woman later identified as his girlfriend, said Martin Wright, a spokesman for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.

He was booked into the Clark County jail and released on his own recognizance after a "cooling-off" period 12 hours later, Wright said. No court date has been set.

Albrecht was at the MGM Grand for HBO's broadcast of the World Boxing Council's super-welterweight championship boxing match, in which Floyd Mayweather Jr. defeated Oscar De La Hoya.

A former New York nightclub proprietor and onetime talent consultant for ABC, Albrecht joined HBO in 1985 as a senior vice president for original programming and has played a key role in the network's transformation into a TV powerhouse.

From 1990 to 1995, he served as president of HBO Independent Productions, which develops and produces comedy series for distribution on HBO and other networks. In 1995, he was promoted to president of original programming.

His tenure at HBO, or Home Box Office, coincided with some of the network's most celebrated series, including "The Sopranos" and "Entourage" and former hit series "Sex and the City" and "Six Feet Under.
Old 05-08-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice thread title...

Old 05-08-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
It's all starting to make sense now...
Old 05-08-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Justice? The whino got paid vacation.
Old 05-09-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the good thing is, he won't be axing anymore shows until he gets back.
Old 05-09-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The douchebag at HBO who decided to end some of their best shows in their prime had a bad night.
the good thing is, he won't be axing anymore shows until he gets back.
Yeah, what an asshole!

How dare he cancel very expensive shows that probably weren't breaking even on a network that doesn't have the luxury of advertisers to offset costs!

And never mind the fact that Rome got a fairly complete resolution, or that Deadwood and Carnivale are likely getting movies to wrap things up, or the believable scenario that all three shows would have been canceled after a few episodes if they aired on any of the standard networks, in addition to being severely watered down and looking a lot cheaper.

Beating his girlfriend? Eh. Cancelling some TV shows that had a good run while they were on? I hope this jerk spends the rest of his life in a maximum-security prison.
Old 05-09-07, 04:50 PM

Carnivale is not getting a movie to wrap anything up. Only Deadwood is supposed to do that.

Let the bastard burn.
Old 05-09-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll tell you what...

If those Deadwood movies actually happen, I will personally buy Mr. Albrecht a case of Absolut.
Old 05-09-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Albrecht is toast, according to the industry bloggers. LA Times Calendar has an industry "hit peice" on him today, ensuring that this weekend's arrest is being viewed as part of a pattern. Supposedly he's been told to resign or be fired, and everyone else is jockeying for position.

Last edited by adamblast; 05-09-07 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
In fact, as I was writing the above post, Variety posted this on their website.

Time Warner gets rid of Albrecht
HBO chairman gets the boot

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Chris Albrecht is out as chairman and chief executive officer at HBO.
Albrecht’s departure caps a stunning turn of events that began when he was arrested early Sunday morning by Las Vegas police for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend.

Albrecht announced Tuesday that he would take a leave of absence from the pay cabler in order to enter rehab – admitting that he’d begun drinking again after having stayed sober for 13 years.

But on Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times reported on allegations that Albrecht in 1991 had shoved and choked a former employee – ex- HBO Ind. Prods. senior VP Sasha Emerson – with whom he had recently ended an affair with.

That appeared to be the final straw for Time Warner, which is expected to announce Albrecht’s departure shortly.