Veronica Mars -- "Debasement Tapes" -- 05/08/07

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Veronica Mars -- "Debasement Tapes" -- 05/08/07

"Debasement Tapes"
Spoiler:
Piz seeks Veronica's help when some recordings belonging to his idol (Paul Rudd) go missing; an unlikely candidate throws his hat into the ring to run for sheriff.

Originally Aired: May 08, 2007
Old 05-08-07, 11:47 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
From Ausiello at tvguide

This is why I always tell you people that it ain't over till it's over: According to my CW moles, bless their hairy little hearts, the odds of Veronica Mars being renewed just went from "so-so" to "pretty good." Suddenly, per my spy, "There's a glimmer of hope." Here's why:

• Since Gilmore Girls is packing it in, the network suddenly has an extra hour of prime real estate available. What are they gonna do, renew 7th Heaven again? (That was a joke, CW. Don't get any ideas.)

• CW prez Dawn Ostroff is said to have responded very favorably to the trailer that series creator Rob Thomas shot for a potential reworking of the show with VM as an FBI agent (think Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs, only with way better hair and funnier dialogue). What's more, sources whisper to me that on the strength of that presentation, Thomas and Co. have been asked for more deets of the proposed revamp.

• Big changes are afoot — starting at the very top. "They've talked about a title change," says my spy. (Hey, if the quality remains the same, they can call it Veronica Mars Presents: The Search for the Next Pussycat Doll for all I — and I suspect all of us V fans — care.) Furthermore, there would likely be a major cast shake-up, with Bell the only guaranteed carryover.
http://community.tvguide.com/blog/TV...rt%2F700000049
Old 05-08-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the FBI show idea sounds great, and could be a fresh look at the character, as I'm not really sure where they could go from here if they did more college years.

But please bring Keith Mars back, please. The rest I can take and leave, but you've got to have Keith.
Old 05-08-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvd182
I think the FBI show idea sounds great, and could be a fresh look at the character, as I'm not really sure where they could go from here if they did more college years.

But please bring Keith Mars back, please. The rest I can take and leave, but you've got to have Keith.

Agreed. The dynamic between Veronica and Keith makes the show. I like the interactions between her and Wallace as well, but her and her dad are great.
Old 05-08-07, 12:49 PM

The FBI show idea sounds great to me. Keep Keith and Mac, replace the rest, and we'd have ourselves a show!
Old 05-08-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't understand why people like Mac.
Old 05-08-07, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Birrman54
I don't understand why people like Mac.

Shes cute and spunky, she plays off Veronica better than Wallace, and Tina majorino is a good actress.
Old 05-08-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Keith is the only must-have besides My Veronica as I see it. All of the others are very expendable.
Old 05-08-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
Shes cute and spunky, she plays off Veronica better than Wallace, and Tina majorino is a good actress.
Regardless, I'd think she'd be loathe to sign for anything with more of a role than what she's done in this season if she'll be trying to film Big Love at the same time. Since the CW is unlikely to do a full season order up front, that makes her work a lot more tentative than a full 13 episode order/contract from HBO. Though it would be cool if she was at the academy too playing the Ardelia Mapp (Kasi Lemmons) role which was more Starling's Watson in the book... except Mac would be using computers to help. I guess I'd have her as an unoffical Marshall from Alias.
Old 05-08-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Keith is the only must-have besides My Veronica as I see it. All of the others are very expendable.
Is this the title you hope they go for if they change names?

Keith needs to be a part of the "new" show and it wouldn't be a stretch to have him as an instructor or something at the Academy.

I would only want one other person back, that would be Mac, but it does seem like more of a stretch to see her in the FBI-even as the computer whiz.
Old 05-08-07, 04:25 PM

I was under the impression the show would be Veronica as a full fledged agent. I could be wrong though.
Old 05-08-07, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
I was under the impression the show would be Veronica as a full fledged agent. I could be wrong though.
That's what I'd hope for. Possibility for much more variety that way. As somebody else said, the college thing has kind of already started to run out of good potential stories.
Old 05-08-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they're going to keep Keith, I think they would have to be making Veronica a rookie field agent in LA or something like that. If they do that, I'd like to see occasional guest shots from any cast members who want to do that sort of thing. Mac, Weevil, and Vinnie are the only characters I really care about.

If they're moving Veronica to the east coast, I don't see how they could keep Keith in more than a recurring role. I'd hope they might be able to work in Christopher Gorham in a role as a nod to Jake 2.0, but that's probably way too pie in the sky.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 05-08-07 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-08-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I like the FBI Idea. Is it possible to have Logan guest star, get kidnapped and fed his own brain?
Old 05-08-07, 05:27 PM

I'll take the show in any way we can get it.

I'd even take the version where Veronica becomes a used car salesman or how about the one where she becomes a local plumber. I'd seriously would still watch it.
Old 05-08-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if they really want to make the show a hit they should have Veronica work a season long undercover sting at a strip club.
Old 05-08-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
if they really want to make the show a hit they should have Veronica work a season long undercover sting at a strip club.
HBO would need to pick it up, but I'm game..
Old 05-08-07, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by jmanlakerfan
or how about the one where she becomes a local plumber. I'd seriously would still watch it.

Kristen Bell plumber's crack
Old 05-08-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Silt...do they make plumber cracks for girls? I always just thought it was hot ass.
Old 05-08-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paul Rudd was very funny in this episode. Kind of nice to get a great guest star. I also think Dick was on top of his game for this one.

It was nice seeing my friend's friend "Jeff Ratner" on VM again!!

This was one of my more enjoyable episodes this season.
Old 05-08-07, 10:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Decent episode.

Bring back the long mystery archs! That's what made VM great. These stand-alone episodes that are catering to potential new fans don't cut it.
Old 05-08-07, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Great!

There is a fire..therefore I don't get to see VM this week. Wonderful.
Old 05-09-07, 12:15 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
I liked it, Paul Rudd was great.

I'm surprised they brought Leo back
Old 05-09-07, 06:38 AM

I've been with the show from day 1 and really hope it comes back in some form next year (I even wrote a letter to the CW pleading with them to make the right decision), BUT the "mystery" portion of this ep was really weak. It took VM 3/4 of the hour before she
Spoiler:
decided to examine Paul Rudd's sack?
Wouldn't that have been done, oh I don't know, THE FIRST TIME SHE MET WITH HER CLIENT?

And while I'm on a rant here, doesn't it seem a bit unusual that Acting Sheriff Mars would dismiss one of his deputies for being lax with regards to enforcing underage drinking laws and then follow that up by
Spoiler:
rehiring Deputy Leo (a character I always dug and am psyched to see back by the way) despite his accepting cash money to destroy evidence in a murder case?!??!!?

Isn't the latter offense a bit more egregious than the former? Certainly is in my book.
Old 05-09-07, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Keith needs to be a part of the "new" show and it wouldn't be a stretch to have him as an instructor or something at the Academy.
Ha! That's funny. Maybe they can have sleazy attorney Cliff McCormack show up as a Deputy Attorney General who's always butting heads with Agent Mars, too. ("You're a loose cannon, Mars. Pull another one of these stunts and I'll have your badge!!!")

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.