Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do we REALLY need a reunion of this group?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Puke! Their music was cheesy at best upon it's initial release. Listening to it in the background on their website announcing a reunion, it sounds so horribly dated.

From Billboard:

Expose has reunited. The trio, made up of vocalists Ann Curless, Jeanette Jurado and Gioia Bruno, are back on the road together after nearly 15 years apart. The three ladies were members of the group during its heyday, from 1986 through 1992.

The group racked up eight top 10 hits on The Billboard Hot 100 chart between 1987 and 1993, including the No. 1 hit "Seasons Change." They're also fondly remembered for such dance smashes as "Come Go With Me" (No. 5), "Point of No Return" (No. 5), "Let Me Be The One" (No. 7) along with ballads like "When I Looked At Him" (No. 10) and "I'll Never Get Over You (Getting Over Me)" (No. 8).

Bruno departed the group in 1992 when she began having throat problems, which was later determined to be due to a benign tumor on her vocal chords. She has since recovered. However, when she left Expose, she was replaced by Kelly Moneymaker.

After Expose and its record label, Arista, parted ways in the mid '90s, the ladies have all kept themselves busy. Bruno has been actively recording and touring for a number of years as a solo act, while Curless focused on her family and children. Jurado also started a family, recorded as a solo artist and starred in a Las Vegas musical production.

For more information, visit the group's official Web site at exposeonline.net. The group's next
Old 04-29-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say about Expose is I really like "I'll Never Get Over You (Getting Over Me)".

I just wish Steps would get back together.
Old 04-29-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Andalusia
All I can say about Expose is I really like "I'll Never Get Over You (Getting Over Me)".

I just wish Steps would get back together.
What is/are Steps?

And I can appreciate the lyrics behind "I'll Never Get Over You (Getting Over Me)". Who hasn't felt that with an ex? Quite clever. Still, when I think of them, I think of "Club MTV" (was that the name of that awful show???)
Old 04-29-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really my style, but they're playing our gay pride event this June and some of my friends are beside themselves
Old 04-29-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Do we really need another thread where someone doesn't use a proper title?
Old 04-29-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Do we really need another thread where someone doesn't use a proper title?
If it bothers you so much, there are plenty of other threads for you to read and participate in.
Old 04-29-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
If it bothers you so much, there are plenty of other threads for you to read and participate in.
It's disrespectful to your fellow forum members. You have no room to say "don't read what you aren't interested in" when a reasonable person has no idea what your thread is going to be about without clicking on it.
Old 04-29-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's disrespectful to your fellow forum members. You have no room to say "don't read what you aren't interested in" when a reasonable person has no idea what your thread is going to be about without clicking on it.
I was trying to have fun. It's not unlike any given website (MSN, Yahoo, etc) where the headline says "Guess who's been (fill in the blank)"? As blind item or teaser. I've been here for a long time on DVD Talk, friend. I've never disrespected anyone here. Stop being dramatic. And I'm sorry I wasted a whopping 10 seconds of your time to open my thread.
Old 04-29-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do we really need a reunion of The Police? Not at all, but a lot of fans are excited nonetheless.

Granted, I don't think I've ever heard an Expose song, but I really don't see what the problem is here. If one musical group can get back together, why can't another, especially if their fanbase is willing to shell out the money?
Old 04-29-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I was hoping the group was going to be Wham!.
Old 04-29-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Puke!
Never heard of 'em.
Old 04-29-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

who??
Old 04-30-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exposure is up there with Madonna's debut when it comes to 1980's dance-pop albums, how can you not like it?
Old 04-30-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Do we really need a reunion of The Police? Not at all, but a lot of fans are excited nonetheless.

Granted, I don't think I've ever heard an Expose song, but I really don't see what the problem is here. If one musical group can get back together, why can't another, especially if their fanbase is willing to shell out the money?
You cannot possibly compare a group like the Police to Expose. Even you said yourself you've never heard an Expose song. Everyone knows at least one Police track. Expose are pure fluff. God bless them that they're back together. And I hope them all the success. Just thinking of them doing that music again kind of makes my skin crawl (personally). Kind of like Tiffany and Debbie Gibson touring again.

For whoever mentioned Wham. That reunion is in the works (apparently). I've read that somewhere. It's going to be one show in London at Wembley.

Last edited by Daytripper; 04-30-07 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-30-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Never heard of 'em.
That was the first thing I thought of (with the title and first word being "Puke")! It took me a little reading to figure out what was going on, but I enjoy Expose. Not sure if I'd care to see them live or anything, but it's neat they're getting back together. I'd always wondered where they disappeared to.
Old 04-30-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We need a Paula Abdul/ MC Scat Cat reunion tour.
Old 04-30-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I was hoping the group was going to be Wham!.
That's what I was thinking. That would be awesome.

I'm not really feeling the Crowded House reunion though.
Old 04-30-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed. Especially since I couldn't figure out what the group was until halfway through the first post. I thought some band called Puke was getting back together. That fact aside, I thought the thread was actually going to be a discussion about reunions of shitty bands.
Old 04-30-07, 11:58 AM

<---- Has an old Expose cassette tape somewhere
Old 04-30-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FatTony
Agreed. Especially since I couldn't figure out what the group was until halfway through the first post. I thought some band called Puke was getting back together. That fact aside, I thought the thread was actually going to be a discussion about reunions of shitty bands.
Halfway through? It was at the top right under my (barely) one line comments. Which said, "From Billboard: Expose has reunited". And it is about a shitty group IMO.
Old 04-30-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tofu
That's what I was thinking. That would be awesome.

I'm not really feeling the Crowded House reunion though.
At least Crowded House are doing an album. I believe Expose are just getting together and singing their old songs. I tried to find on that website if they were indeed recording again. Didn't see anything. That I would at least like to hear. Hoping they update their sound a little. Nice looking women. Not bad singers. But, again, thought their music was terrible back in the day. With the right writers and producers, they could be huge again.

Back to Crowded House, read on. Sounds good to me.

On 2nd July, Crowded House will release Time On Earth, their first release in over 10 years. The long-awaited new album contains 14 songs and, in old Crowded House tradition, the album cover features a Nick Seymour painting. The band were joined by Johnny Marr on two tracks, 'Don't Stop Now' and 'Even a Child', which he co-wrote with Neil Finn. The album also contains 'Silent House', which Neil co-wrote with the Dixie Chicks, and whose version of the song has been released previously.

The album was recorded at Roundhead Studios, Auckland, at RAK Studios, London, and at Real World Studios, Wiltshire, and produced by Ethan Johns (Kings Of Leon, Ray LaMontagne) and Steve Lillywhite (U2, Morrissey). The first single off the album, 'Don't Stop Now', will be released on June 25 as 7", CD and DVD, which will also include previously unreleased as well as live tracks.
Old 04-30-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm am soooooo there for the CH release. Even though Paul will be missed, it is nice to have the others back together and making music.
Old 04-30-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
You cannot possibly compare a group like the Police to Expose. Even you said yourself you've never heard an Expose song. Everyone knows at least one Police track. Expose are pure fluff. God bless them that they're back together. And I hope them all the success. Just thinking of them doing that music again kind of makes my skin crawl (personally). Kind of like Tiffany and Debbie Gibson touring again.
Why can't he compare them to the Police? His remark had nothing to do about the musicianship, but the mere fact that an old band was reuniting and, while he didn't think it was necessary, the fans were happy about it.

Expose was one of the "freestyle" groups that I listened to growing up. Is it a life-changing event that they're back together? Well, no. But like Daytripper mentioned, I would be curious to hear how they sound now. Also, i'm not Mr. Billboard's Top 100, but isn't having 8 top 10 songs an accomplishment? And remember this was back in the day before Billboard changed the way they charted things..
Old 04-30-07, 01:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

For whoever mentioned Wham. That reunion is in the works (apparently). I've read that somewhere. It's going to be one show in London at Wembley.
It was a tabloid story late last year and was supposed to happen xmas 2006.

Here is a little piece about it: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a4...ey-nerves.html
Old 04-30-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Why can't he compare them to the Police? His remark had nothing to do about the musicianship, but the mere fact that an old band was reuniting and, while he didn't think it was necessary, the fans were happy about it.

Expose was one of the "freestyle" groups that I listened to growing up. Is it a life-changing event that they're back together? Well, no. But like Daytripper mentioned, I would be curious to hear how they sound now. Also, i'm not Mr. Billboard's Top 100, but isn't having 8 top 10 songs an accomplishment? And remember this was back in the day before Billboard changed the way they charted things..
I didn't mean musicianship as much as status. The Police were a huge international band. Mostly respected by the critics, etc. Fans have been foaming at the mouth for their reunion for years. Hell, even Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland wanted to reunite a few times. It was Sting who wouldn't bend. Like Expose, they aren't reuniting with a new album (that I know of), which disappoints me. As much as I'd like to hear them play their old stuff again, I'd also welcome new material.

Back to Expose, I'm embarrassed to say I actually saw them live in the 80's at some festival. There were like four bands and they were the first. It was at the height of their career. Again, they looked amazing. But there was no band. Just them dancing around on the stage with microphones. Who knows, they could have been lipsyncing. But they were hot so that's all the crowd cared about. I'm glad they have fans that are anxious to see them again. Like I mentioned before, their music is incredibly dated. They really should try their hand at something new.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.