Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beyonce Deluxe Edition withdrawn due to pending lawsuit

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you like Beyonce and don't have the special edition, get it ASAP, it's going to become collectable, at least the pressing out right now

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/155..._beyonce.jhtml

Beyonce's B'Day Over? Singer Pulls Deluxe Editions Due To Lawsuit

Three weeks after celebrating her second B'Day, Beyoncé is pulling the plug — at least for now — on the re-release of her recent solo LP. Thanks to a pending lawsuit over her cover of Des'ree's "I'm Kissing You" on her B'Day - Deluxe Edition album and video anthology, the singer and her label have agreed to stop distributing the albums and DVDs that include the song.

When Beyoncé sat down earlier this year with MTV News to discuss the new material featured on B'Day - Deluxe Edition, she mentioned that her version of the song — which is called "Still in Love (Kissing You)" on the reissue — wasn't originally intended for release and that she had just recorded it because she "always loved it."

"It was one of my all-time favorite songs," she said (see "Beyonce: Behind The B'Day Videos"). "It gives you this emotion — I don't care who you are, you just feel it. So I just did it for myself — a lot of songs, I do like that — and I let people hear it and they were like, 'You are crazy, you have to put it on the album.' So I did. It was a last-minute decision."

Indeed, Beyoncé's team's paperwork — included in the copyright-infringement suit filed in New York's Manhattan Federal Court last week — depicts a rush to get permission to use the song, with letters sent back and forth up to and including the day of the deluxe edition's release. According to the suit, Beyoncé's team originally sought clearance on February 13 to use "interpolations" of the Des'ree song, which became a hit when it appeared in the Leonardo DiCaprio/ Claire Danes movie "Romeo + Juliet" in 1996. Lawyers for the two sides (Beyoncé and Des'ree's publishers the Royalty Network) started talking, and by March 3 — a month before Beyoncé re-released her album — Beyoncé's side had a "confirmation letter and license request" ready to submit.

On March 5, the Royalty Network's lawyers answered by submitting a counter proposal in which they granted permission — within certain limits. For one thing, they would allow use of the song, but not in video form. They would also allow use of the song only if the title were not changed. The Royalty Network's lawyers at Epstein Levinsohn Bodine & Weinstein said in the complaint that "despite follow-ups," they didn't hear back from Beyoncé's camp. And on March 27, according to the complaint, they discovered that Beyoncé and her record label planned to proceed with their plans to include the song on the re-release anyway. In a letter they wrote to Beyoncé's lawyer and her distribution group Sony, the Royalty Network called the move "completely unacceptable."

"First, no agreement has been reached in connection with [the song]," the letter read, "and Sony has no right to proceed ... absent an agreement. Second, the retitling of the composition puts TRN at risk for claims from more than one third party, and this is a risk that [Beyoncé] and Sony were or should have been aware of in light of the circumstances surrounding the discussions relating to this potential license."

The Royalty Network then asked Sony to cease and desist from distributing the album with the song under a new title, and when Beyoncé and her label did so anyway on April 3, the Royalty Network deemed that "willful disregard." So a new letter was sent that day, saying the offer to allow Beyoncé to include the song on her album was withdrawn.

Then there was the matter of the Cliff Watts-directed video of "Still in Love (Kissing You)" on Beyoncé's "B'Day Anthology Video Album," which was sold separately at Wal-Mart. The video, which was shot on the beach in Miami, "feels like something you shouldn't be seeing," Beyoncé told MTV News — meaning that it seemed like a home video because it was so "raw" and "natural." But the Royalty Network felt like it was something that shouldn't be seen for a different reason — because they hadn't granted audiovisual rights even when they were leaning toward letting Beyoncé use the song. In a letter sent April 6, the Royalty Network called it a "blatant violation of the terms" they had set forth.

After filing the suit on April 16, the Royalty Network — which seeks $150,000 in damages and an injunction to recall the deluxe edition from stores — came to an agreement with Beyoncé's camp, filed Friday with the court, that Columbia and Sony would "engage in no further distribution" of the album or video anthology with the song in question, at least until a preliminary injunction hearing May 4.

Beyoncé's representatives had not responded to requests for comment by press time.
Old 04-27-07, 12:20 AM

isn't the deluxe edition the same as the regular, except for a bonus disc of spanish songs?
Old 04-27-07, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spinning plates
isn't the deluxe edition the same as the regular, except for a bonus disc of spanish songs?
They also added 5 new songs and sort of re-arranged the play order of the original disc. The Spanish songs are one new one and spanish versions of Listen and Irreplaceable with some remixes thrown in. I have to say I do not like the re-ordering of the songs on the first disc and the only 2 stand-out new songs to me are Beautiful Liar and Flaws and All.
Old 04-27-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think Beyonce is that bad. I mean, are you looking for the new Joni Mitchell or Bjork? yes, she is definately beyond bad. But in terms of contemporary mainstream top 40 pop singers, she's one of the only ones I actually like. You want worthless and overrated, go to Britney, that woman hasn't contributed one thing to the music industry, she can't sing and her songs are pedestrian at best. Beyonce does kind of have that old-school Janet Jackson vibe to her music and performances (IMO, B. Day was more the album Janet should've released last fall than 20 Y.O. was). I usually avoid mainstream top 40 these days, but her recent cd, alongside Justin's FutureSex/LoveSounds and Nelly Furtado's Loose, became "guilty pleasures" in my cd collection.

Is the album worthy of inclusion in "best album ever" lists? Absolutely not. But in an age of acts like Britney, Avril, Hilary Duff, Paris Hilton, Ashlee Simpson and tons of others who really are worthless, it's unfair to lump Beyonce alongside them because she really is one of the best current US mainstream top 40 "pop stars" we have right now, along with Timberlake and Nelly Furtado. (I'm of the belief that the UK top 40 pop scene is far superior to America's, with the likes of Robbie Williams, Mika, Scissor Sisters, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand and others all frequently scoring hit singles there).

Last edited by nothingfails; 04-27-07 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-27-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought it on BB.com a few weeks ago for $9.99 with Free Shipping and they still have it for that for anyone looking for it. Mine came with a BB bonus track called First Time.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1627871
Old 05-01-07, 08:22 PM

Is she still dating Jay Z?