Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on dealing with Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 02:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I have experienced firsthand some shady goings on at Best Buy. March 30, I purchased an Xbox 360 core system from Best Buy. It had been occasionally rejecting discs, so I tried to take it back today to return it. The customer service agent took everything out of the box, and actually hooked it up and started up "Fight Night." Then the fun began.

Before I could really realize what was happening, she took the XBox around a counter to where I wasn't able to see it. A few minutes later, she came back with a dead serious look on her face. "This system has been tampered with. We can't take it back." I had no idea what she was talking about. Their Geek Squad inspection worker came to show me where the tamper sticker looked bad. I told them that I had no idea how it got like that.

The Geek Squad worker then proceeded to tell me that my friends may have opened it up. I'm married with 3 kids under the age of 4. I don't have friends coming over PLAYING my XBox, much less opening it up. They told me that they simply wouldn't take it back, and that it was Microsoft's problem to deal with. A quick call to Microsoft told me that the warranty had been activated in November, which would indicate to them that this system was on their shelf for a suspiciously long time. However, Microsoft would not help me.

I then spoke to a manager at Best Buy. I made it clear to him that either the Geek Squad worker had tampered with this unit himself, or they sold me a used unit as new. He then explained that there was NO POSSIBLE WAY to remove the little clear sticker on the outside of the XBox case without it being very obvious to them that that had happened. He will do nothing for me. He was kind enough to tell me that it would be no big deal for Best Buy to take the XBox back, give me my money back, and send the XBox back to Microsoft for trashing. However, he said, he just wasn't going to do that.

To sum it up, either Best Buy sold me a used XBox, or they tampered with it when I tried to return it. It's breaking down, and I can't have Microsoft repair it because the seal has been tampered with. I can't return it to Best Buy. I'm out $300 and all anyone can tell me is that I'm out of luck.

This all happened at the Ames, IA Best Buy. I have names of both the Geek Squad worker, and the manager who I spoke to if anyone is interested.
Old 04-25-07, 02:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My advice is to escalate. Call their 1-800 # or contact the regional manager (if you can find out who it is). Explain your story calmly and in a friendly fashion. Leave out the part where you accuse the employee of breaking the tamper seal -- it won't help your case.
Old 04-25-07, 02:44 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Groucho
My advice is to escalate. Call their 1-800 # or contact the regional manager (if you can find out who it is). Explain your story calmly and in a friendly fashion. Leave out the part where you accuse the employee of breaking the tamper seal -- it won't help your case.
I wasn't trying to actively accuse him of breaking the tamper seal. I don't really think the guy did. I was just trying to explain to the manager the possibilities from my perspective, and we both agreed that it was highly unlikely that he broke the seal. It's obvious to me that they took back a 360 that someone said had never been opened, when in reality it had been tampered with.
Old 04-25-07, 03:24 PM

do you have the the extended warranty? (PRP) If you do, call the number on it and send it in. I've never had problems doing it so in this manner.
Old 04-25-07, 04:07 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by amd555
do you have the the extended warranty? (PRP) If you do, call the number on it and send it in. I've never had problems doing it so in this manner.
No extended warranty, but I've had it less than 30 days. I'll just keep calling managers higher and higher up.
Old 04-25-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
Make a picket sign that says "Ask me how Best Buy ripped me off" and stand outside their front door (or if they won't let you stand there, stand out on the street where cars pull in.) If they call the police, all the better--you may end up on the evening news, where you can explain your story to even more people.

Actually, that's a later resort, but I've always thought it might work. First I'd call higher up the chain and make a BBB complaint. Also, it sounds like you're married. If you are, I think this is a job for the wife, especially if she's over 35 and wears business casual into the store (yes I know that sounds sexist and crazy, but somewhere after about 35 I discovered that I could talk salespeople into just about anything. I'm assuming it's a respectable middle aged woman thing rather than my mad negotiating skills.)

Last edited by tasha99; 04-25-07 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I think he wants to resolve this without looking like a jackass on television.
Shhhhhhh . . . .

How about "Ask me why only morans shop at Best Buy."

Old 04-25-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree, escalation is the route to take.

Regarding trying to explain why the tamper sticker is messed up, don't even bother. Leave it at "I don't know how that happened." If push comes to shove, you might bring up the point about the warranty being "activated" almost half a year before you purchased it.

If escalation really gets you no where, dump it at the store, walk out and dispute the charge with your credit card - take a picture of it on the counter as you leave just for backup proof that you left it there.

On the flip-side, this is the first I've heard about anti-tamper stickers on these units - that's absolutely ridiculous in and of itself. Look what google turned up - sound familiar?

http://consumerist.com/consumer/best...nty-247411.php
Old 04-26-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Chops
No extended warranty, but I've had it less than 30 days. I'll just keep calling managers higher and higher up.
Skip the middle man and go straight to the top.

Contact Brian Dunn, who is President of Retail in North America.

I believe his email is [email protected]

If not, just write a polite letter to him explaining your problem to:

Best Buy Co., Inc.
ATTN: Brian Dunn
7601 Penn Avenue S.
Richfield, MN 55423

(612) 291-1000 is the phone number, but you're likely only to get an "underling" if you call...I suggest e-mailing first and following up with a letter.
Old 04-26-07, 08:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Skip the middle man and go straight to the top.
Disagree. While this will almost certainly work, it'll take a long time. Escalating at the local level is a better first step, assuming the OP actually wants this thing exchanged quickly.
Old 04-26-07, 09:47 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
1. Buy a new X-Box
2. Peal the sticker off of the new one and stick it on the old one.
3. Exchange old one for a new new one.
4. Return the new one for cash, complaining that it didn't come with a tamper sticker.

Last edited by ben12; 04-26-07 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-26-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
There's always small claims court.
Old 04-26-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems pretty simple to me. If you just bought it March 30 yet the warranty was activated last November it seems obvious they sold you a used, returned unit. I'm assuming the customer activates the warranty. How could you have activated it when you hadn't even bought it yet? Escalate the complaint. Make sure Best Buy knows when the warranty was activated and give them the information to verify. If they still won't help you, contact your credit card company about a charge back.
Old 04-26-07, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ben12
1. Buy a new X-Box
2. Peal the sticker off of the new one and stick it on the old one.
3. Exchange old one for a new new one.
4. Return the new one for cash, complaining that it didn't come with a damper sticker.
Brill! Where can I get a damper sticker? I would like to put it on my PS3!
Old 04-26-07, 11:51 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Brill! Where can I get a damper sticker? I would like to put it on my PS3!
The PS3 damper stickers cost $600.
Old 04-26-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
Seems pretty simple to me. If you just bought it March 30 yet the warranty was activated last November it seems obvious they sold you a used, returned unit. I'm assuming the customer activates the warranty. How could you have activated it when you hadn't even bought it yet? Escalate the complaint. Make sure Best Buy knows when the warranty was activated and give them the information to verify. If they still won't help you, contact your credit card company about a charge back.
Agreed.

If the knowingly sold a returned unit as new I would think that would border on fraud. You may want to discuss this with local law enforcement. I would also definitely contact your credit card company.
Old 04-26-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I think your best argument is the time difference also. Don't back down until you get it resolved. Too many people puss out on stuff like this.
Old 04-26-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like you're getting some exposure out of this now.

http://digg.com/offbeat_news/Best_Bu...ou_A_Used_Unit

http://consumerist.com/consumer/best...nit-255292.php
Old 04-26-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Disagree. While this will almost certainly work, it'll take a long time. Escalating at the local level is a better first step, assuming the OP actually wants this thing exchanged quickly.
Mr. Dunn got me a $500 discount on a HDTV (because of a delivery mistake) and added $200 in Gift Cards for my hassle. My problem was resolved within two weeks of my complaint, so I guess YMMV.
Old 04-26-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The moran with the sign can't even spell moron...it figures.
Originally Posted by tasha99
Shhhhhhh . . . .

How about "Ask me why only morans shop at Best Buy."

Old 04-26-07, 03:33 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by pinata242
Seems like you're getting some exposure out of this now.
Yeah, well if nothing else, maybe it will keep something from getting scammed in the same way I did.
Old 04-26-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
The moran with the sign can't even spell moron...it figures.

That pic's actually a bit of a DVDTalk staple that's been carried on for the past few years.
Old 04-26-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont just dump it in the store and dispute with your credit card company, thats about the dumbest thing you can do.

Just dispute the charge and keep the fucking thing.
At absolute worst, they credit card company will ask you to ship it to them. and you are out $20
Old 04-26-07, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by kaze0
Dont just dump it in the store and dispute with your credit card company, thats about the dumbest thing you can do.

Just dispute the charge and keep the fucking thing.
At absolute worst, they credit card company will ask you to ship it to them. and you are out $20
Have you ever disputed a charge before in your life? The issuing bank has no interest in getting the merchandise. If you return it to the merchant and they do not credit you, that is about the strongest case you can make since the merchant has everything they started with. When dealing with mail order disputes, shipping it back and requiring a signature on delivery (as with certified mail) is very common, but for a local store there you may not be able to find an address that will accept a package the requires a signature.
Old 04-27-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matome
That pic's actually a bit of a DVDTalk staple that's been carried on for the past few years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.