Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

My stolen DVD collection: A remembrance, 4 years later

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My stolen DVD collection: A remembrance, 4 years later

I posted this a way back when, but in 2003 my entire, 400+, DVD collection was taken from me. It's a long, sad story I won't recount here, but I did manage to recover a dozen or so. It was a random group recovered (with Brazil being one of the only really important DVDs I got back).

Over the last few years I've avoided consciously thinking about my old collection. I've continued buying DVDs, and even re-buying DVDs as I found them cheap or wanted to watch them again. But I can't ever consciously remember thinking about replacing the entire collection.

Maybe having a bit to do with the loss (it would be funny how much I'm referring to losing my collection like it was a lost loved one, but I know there are many here who can sympathize) but I haven't made an attempt to catalog my collection again up until now. Back then I had them in DVDAficionado and in Excel. Now, I honestly wasn't even sure how many I owned. Perhaps subconsciously I realized my "new" collection finally surpassed my old one but I finally got around to putting them into DVDSpot just the other day (with a little help ). I now own 512 DVDs.

Today, for the first time in 3 and a half years I looked up my old collection on DVDAficionado (I can't believe it's still there). The first thing that struck me was the pain of loss for some movies that would be very dificult to recover (Robocop: Criterion, Almost Famous: Bootleg, and Wickerman in the wooden box come immediately to mind). The second thing was how similar the collections are. I didn't actually count but if I had to guess I would say about 250 DVDs are exactly the same.

It's funny but I can only remember a few dozen times where I thought, "I used to own this". I must have been trying to replace my collection as best I could on some level.

Anyway, that is the deep thought I'm thinking today. Looking at the old collection makes me a bit sad but I'm proud of my "new baby". For those of you with morbid curiosity I have included a link to the old collection bellow.

Link at DVDAficionado (2003)
Old 04-19-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
...(it would be funny how much I'm referring to losing my collection like it was a lost loved one, but I know there are many here who can sympathize)...
Indeed there are. Every time I read one of these threads, (and there have been several lately....theft, fire, flooding) I think just how fleeting my collection really is. I've spend a lot of time lovingly collecting, cataloging, shelving, (and even watching) every single title. I can remember the circumstances behind the acquisition of each one....from chasing down limited exclusives on eagerly anticipated release dates, to that magic find in the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin. I guess we all have to accept that our collections, (great and small) are really only on loan to us for an indetermined period of time.

The first thing that struck me was the pain of loss for some movies that would be very dificult to recover (Robocop: Criterion, Almost Famous: Bootleg, and Wickerman in the wooden box come immediately to mind).
I think you might be surprised that these titles and other gems might not be as hard to find as you think. I myself, just won an auction for a mint Almost Famous: Bootleg yesterday for under $30. Robocop: Criterion is always available somewhere as well for less than you think. Wickerman has been rereleased with both versions in a single case, (superior in my mind to the bulky box), but also making the box far less sought-after. A little digging here & there might unearth some of these gems you heretofore thought irreplaceable.......keep searching!
Old 04-19-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When a DVD collection is lost that has been especially close to someone here, that DVD collection goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are dvd players for all of our DVD collections so they can be played and watched together. There is plenty of shelf space and our DVD collections are cool and dust free.

All the DVD collections who have suffered from yellow layer failure and DVD rot are restored to new and crystal clean. Those who were scratched are made scratch free, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The DVD collections are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They are all played together and share shelf space, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Its bright eyes are intent. Its eager DVD cases quiver. Suddenly it begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, its amaray cases and snapper cases carrying it faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your DVD collection finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved inserts, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your DVD collection, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Old 04-19-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*sniff*
Old 04-20-07, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
I know this feeling well. Last year I had the bulk of my DVD collection taken from me as well. I suppose it was my own fault for moving in with my junkie brother.

I haven't bothered to reaquire anything. I'm waiting to see what the format standard is going to be in the next couple of years.
Old 04-20-07, 04:46 AM

You know, it bacame my fixed idea lately - I keep thinking about what will happen if my collection gets stolen or if my apartment catches fire and all the DVDs are gone. These paraniod thoughts keep attacking me. And I wonder what I would do if this happens. Certainly I'd feel devastated and empty, but what next - gather all the strength together and start all over again? Or give it a wave of the hand? I don't know. Most likely I'd start over so that one day I'd feel reborn like DeputyDave with his new collection.
Recently we moved temporarily to another apartment and left most of the things in the old one. But after some time I took the collection to a new place part by part. My wife asked my why and I answered: what if somebody steels it? She said: like we don't have more valuable things to steal - big TV or PC... And at that point I thought that DVD collection no matter how much it costs is not just some thing that can be paid for again and easily replaced. You can buy a new TV, let it cost ten thousand. But your collection is years you spent compiling it. It's time you spent searching for some particular rare release in the net and arguing at the post-office when they failed to deliver. It's your emotions and your joy. Losing it really must be like losing someone close to you. Of course you can marry again, and a new wife may be perfect, but she will never be the same as the first one. These thoughts make me sad. Anyway people who can start from scratch inspire me
Old 04-20-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well look on the bright side, a lot of the movies you had bought have been rereleased in newer special editions. At least when you rebuy you will be getting a superior product.

I noticed that you had the HBO DVD "The Iceman Interviews". I watched these three documentaries last year on A&E and found them very interesting. I didn't realize that there was a DVD available. Richard Kuklinski was one crazy SOB. I would not have wanted to make that guy angry at all. Everytime he says in the interviews that someone got him angry you know how it was going to end. A great film could be made out of this story.

By the way, the guy that stole your DVDs must have been desperate, i noticed that he stole Cutthroat Island. At least you can thank him for that one.
Old 04-20-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

To me, a DVD collection is worth more than just the total value of all the discs because of all the time and effort that went into acquiring it. But if someone stole my collection, they'd probably be disappointed - at least half of my discs are from other regions. They'd be a lot harder to resell, and it'd be easier to figure out who did it.
Still, I hope that never happens.
Old 04-20-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Years ago, when my collection was at around 600, I was robbed by neighborhood teenagers. They took about half of my DVDs and a few other things lying around. We all knew who they were and I got back most of my stuff except for my Disney Special editions (remember that box) and a few others. The little brother of one of the theives brought over my Nighmare on Elm Street box that he found hidden in his house and tried to give me his allowance. He was crying because he thought I woundn't like him anymore because of his older brother, a 16 year old. When I got my hands on Ronald (the brother) all I cound say is 'how could he do that to his younger brothers, put them throught all this crap'. He gave me a shit answer, he doesn't think he did much wrong because he never went into my house, he was the lookout. I don't know how I got pass not killing him with my bare hands. The fact is I knew all the boys and even the 21 year old that took the stuff to the Pawn shop (he screwed his life up in that he was planning to go into the army) he was the only one that ended up in jail. The rest were too young 14-16. What I really want to say is that later Disney came out with their 2-disc editions of all the Limited Editions, they are worth nothing now but some kid that has a big brother that is a criminal got a few DVDs that his/her family could never afford, at that time. Your collection will constantly change, enjoy it now but don't get trapped by thinking it will be there forever or you could not live without it. Don't let your toys own you.

Last edited by pagansoul; 04-20-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-21-07, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by pagansoul
Don't let your toys own you.
Old 04-22-07, 01:25 AM

Nobody has homeowner's inusrance?
Old 04-22-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Depression
Nobody has homeowner's inusrance?
I didn't. I lived in an apartment.
Old 04-22-07, 12:39 PM

you should get it. i just bought some. it's very cheap. i got it from geico for like $250 and that paid 4 a whole year.
Old 04-22-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, even when I was 21 and just out of college, I always had renters insurance. It's dirt cheap.

Of course, of all the things someone could steal from me that I'd miss, my DVD collection's probably not in the top 200.
Old 04-22-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My DVD collection, and everything else in my apartment, is covered by renter's insurance up to $50,000.
Old 04-22-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, OK... I'll make the call. Is there anything I should be looking for when checking them out?
Old 04-22-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, OK... I'll make the call. Is there anything I should be looking for when checking them out?
Well, bear in mind that renter's insurance usually won't cover baseball cards, comic books, or other specialized "collectibles" without you taking out a separate rider for those. And since insurance companies generally don't regard DVD's as collectibles, don't expect to ever get collector value for any insured "rare" titles you may own.

In fact, if your collection is insured and does get stolen, burned up in a fire, etc., you can reasonably expect the insurance company to make a settlement of about $1 to $2 per DVD you lose, or about what a very low quality used replacement would be valued at, no matter how nice and pristine your actual collection might be. I know it sucks, but I guess it's better than losing everything and getting nothing for it.

I have renter's insurance, but if someone ever robbed me and I caught them at it (or knew who it was), I would A) kill them on the spot, or B) take the insurance settlement and pay someone else to kill them.
Old 04-22-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know how things have changed, but I was burgled in 1995 and lost all of my CDs at the time. My renter's insurance (State Farm) paid for the value of the collection that I gave them. No crap about $1 or $2 a disc. Just reimbursed me for the sum that I presented them with (as well as a listing of the titles I could remember).
Old 04-24-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Giggles
These paraniod thoughts keep attacking me.
You sound like an ex-girlfriend. There IS a little pill that you can take that will help you through yer paranoia. Other than that...relax.

Hey, I'm guilty too. However, I used to get concerned with what it would be like if I had all 5 kayaks and 2 whitewater canoes stolen or detroyed, because for the last 2 years I've cared MUCH more about being out on the rivers and inland seas than watching movies all day and all night. I still adore films and collecting....but other more thrilling priorities have taken over. I can live without movies. I can't live without running whitewater.

But I came to the same method of preserving what I have. A good security system(vault and dogs) and turn off the burners on the stove before leaving the house.

Works well....I think.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 04-24-07 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by spartanstew
Of course, of all the things someone could steal from me that I'd miss, my DVD collection's probably not in the top 200.
You must own a lot of expensive or sentimental shit if an 800-DVD collection wouldn't particularly strike a chord if it went missing.
Old 04-24-07, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
You sound like an ex-girlfriend. There IS a little pill that you can take that will help you through yer paranoia. Other than that...relax.
Seems only pills can cure me. So GIVE ME THE NAME PLEASE!!!