Old 04-19-07, 12:56 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBC's rating continue to slide...

For Once-Hot NBC, a Week of Record Lows

By John Maynard
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 18, 2007; Page C07

You know things are bad at NBC when Howie Mandel is the main attraction.

In a week that hit a historic low for the network, the Mandel-hosted game show "Deal or No Deal" was the only NBC program to crack the 10-million-viewer mark.

NBC averaged just 6.8 million viewers for the entire week, making it the network's least watched week during the regular television season since the current Nielsen ratings system was established 20 years ago.

NBC's Thursday lineup, once dubbed "Must See TV" night in the heady "Cosby Show"/"Cheers"/"Seinfeld" days, drew only 7.1 million viewers, its lowest Thursday ever for all-original programming. The "ER" audience of 9.2 million was the hospital drama's smallest ever.

CBS won the weekly ratings race, taking four of seven nights, ceding "American Idol" nights -- Tuesday and Wednesday -- to Fox.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041701791.html

I wonder what that will mean for SNL next season? I suspect that there will be more budget cuts. This is also doesn't bode well for the future of "30 Rock."
Old 04-19-07, 01:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
For Once-Hot NBC, a Week of Record Lows

By John Maynard
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 18, 2007; Page C07

You know things are bad at NBC when Howie Mandel is the main attraction.

In a week that hit a historic low for the network, the Mandel-hosted game show "Deal or No Deal" was the only NBC program to crack the 10-million-viewer mark.

NBC averaged just 6.8 million viewers for the entire week, making it the network's least watched week during the regular television season since the current Nielsen ratings system was established 20 years ago.

NBC's Thursday lineup, once dubbed "Must See TV" night in the heady "Cosby Show"/"Cheers"/"Seinfeld" days, drew only 7.1 million viewers, its lowest Thursday ever for all-original programming. The "ER" audience of 9.2 million was the hospital drama's smallest ever.

CBS won the weekly ratings race, taking four of seven nights, ceding "American Idol" nights -- Tuesday and Wednesday -- to Fox.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041701791.html

I wonder what that will mean for SNL next season? I suspect that there will be more budget cuts. This is also doesn't bode well for the future of "30 Rock."
who watches ER anymore anyway??

NBC needs to fire all the writers of SNL and actually find one's that can write good material.

watched 30 Rock last week, didn't wow me like I thought it would.
Old 04-19-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, stop taking Heroes off the air for 8 months at a time.
Old 04-19-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It doesn't help that HEROES wasn't on. Other than that, I suppose... uh oh... Chalk it up to a fluke. Now if the whole season's ratings were that low...youch.
Old 04-19-07, 01:53 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All the hiatuses have hurt, and it's made worse by the fact that all their new spring shows have failed miserably (Black Donnellys, Andy Barker PI, Raines, Thank God You're Here). I'm still a bit baffled why Earl/Office numbers dropped so much lower than their new episode average, considering Ugly Betty (clip show) and Survivor were both down from their season averages.
Old 04-19-07, 01:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
This is also doesn't bode well for the future of "30 Rock."
30 Rock has already been picked up for next season.
Old 04-19-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, its all the shows being on hiatus... Im an ER watcher and I just realized on the Wednesday before that it was going to be new so that added to that issue probably.
Old 04-19-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they had a good thing going on a few years ago until they started putting things like the Apprentice and Joey on. I think that was the beginning of the end.
That and I don't think your average viewer gets the intelligence of Scrubs or the Office or 30 Rock.
Old 04-19-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
These things are circular. Before LOST and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, ABC wasn't doing that great in the ratings, and a few years back - before CSI and SURVIVOR - CBS was in the ratings dumpster. Heck I remember those "Murder She Wrote" days when almost EVERYTHING on CBS was for people 40-plus. NBC will be back on top in 3 to 5 years and someone else will be struggling - that's just how it is...
Old 04-19-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the heroes hiaitus has hurt NBC, imho. and killing pretty much every new show (with the exception of heroes) that interested me (black donnelys, andy barker, studio 60).

btw, is studio 60 done? are they planning on bringing it back to complete some story arcs? or will it be unceremoniously dumped like the donnelys?
Old 04-19-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
all their new spring shows have failed miserably (Black Donnellys, Andy Barker PI, Raines, Thank God You're Here)

Is TGYH doing badly? Only reference to ratings I could find was http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20070417nbc01

On Monday, the debut of "Thank God You're Here" scored NBC's highest 18-49 rating in four weeks in the 9:01-11 p.m. time period. In the 10-11 p.m. hour, "Thank God You're Here" was up 32 percent in 18-49 versus the average for "The Black Donnellys" in the time period. "TGYH" ranked #1 among men 18-34 from 10-11 p.m.
Old 04-19-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really hope they air the remaining studio 60's and don't just stick them on the web... I'm pissed that The Black Donnelly's remaining eps are only on nbc.com, because I can't watch that content because I live in Canada...
Old 04-19-07, 04:06 PM
Banned

I really think all networks should adopt 24's schedule of picking a start time and running through all the seasons' episodes with no breaks. Repeats are for in-between seasons not in-between shows.
Old 04-19-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by cracksky
I really think all networks should adopt 24's schedule of picking a start time and running through all the seasons' episodes with no breaks. Repeats are for in-between seasons not in-between shows.
I think more networks are starting to do that, but then you get into a situation like Heroes (that some are complaining about here) where you have to take long breaks in between strings of new episodes and viewers lose interest in the time slot. Doesn't Battlestar Galactica have a similar problem, where the next season isn't until next year?
Old 04-19-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the linked article...
Fox placed a close second behind CBS in total viewers, stumbling Sunday with its two-hour premiere of the car-racing drama "Drive," which despite heavy promotion attracted just 6 million viewers. More discouraging for "Drive" was that it lost viewers in each subsequent half-hour. (More bad news: This past Monday in its regular time slot, "Drive" was down to 5.7 million viewers.)
How is that bad news? The sooner they take that crap off the air, the better.
Old 04-19-07, 05:09 PM

seriously.. you're kidding yourself if you believe a show like drive will last a full season
Old 04-19-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For serial shows, you cannot, I repeat cannot take long breaks between them! It just kills all momentem that they have gained. I love Heros, but hell, I've gotten so use to not watching it on Monday night, and doing other things, that I don't know if I'm going to bother watching it until it comes out on dvd.
Old 04-19-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBob
I love Heros, but hell, I've gotten so use to not watching it on Monday night, and doing other things, that I don't know if I'm going to bother watching it until it comes out on dvd.
I was just coming here to ask how many people have lost interest in Heroes due to the long break.
Old 04-19-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I really hope they air the remaining studio 60's and don't just stick them on the web... I'm pissed that The Black Donnelly's remaining eps are only on nbc.com, because I can't watch that content because I live in Canada...
be pissed at Canada, not NBC!
Old 04-19-07, 06:32 PM
Banned

After this whole manifesto fiasco I hope their ratings tank even more....NBC is the lowest of the low IMO....
Old 04-19-07, 11:10 PM
Banned

With the pictures with the NBC logo that they show of that killer of Va. tech all over the other stations do you think that will help their ratings?
Old 04-19-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
All the hiatuses have hurt, and it's made worse by the fact that all their new spring shows have failed miserably (Black Donnellys, Andy Barker PI, Raines, Thank God You're Here). I'm still a bit baffled why Earl/Office numbers dropped so much lower than their new episode average, considering Ugly Betty (clip show) and Survivor were both down from their season averages.
I think many shows are down season to season and from previous weeks. I do think that the daylight savings change has caused some ratings drop for every show. Also, things like internet streaming on abc/nbc/cbs/itunes and DVRs have caused further erosion. My understanding is that office/earl is one of the most DVRed shows on the schedule. Still, regardless of what people say about office/earl ... it isn't even coming close to beating (in ratings) some of the walking the dog shows that NBC used to have on Thursday i.e. Jesse, Veronica's Closet, Suddenly Susan, Fired up, Union Square, etc. etc.
Old 04-19-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
With the pictures with the NBC logo that they show of that killer of Va. tech all over the other stations do you think that will help their ratings?
Yeah, the first thing I think of when I see those photos and the logo is that I really should watch Friday Night Lights more often.
Old 04-20-07, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's sad that NBC can't find a main audience because they have some of the highest quality shows on tv this year.
Sure CBS has more shows that i watch but the Quality of the shows is much better on NBC. ABC the only 2 shows that i was are Lost & men in trees which isn't even coming back ti'll the fall. I don't know what it is this year but the only thing the majority of people seem to be watching is those fricken reality shows, mindless entertainment & thats why Deal or no deal does so well for NBC.
I like my shows to be smart & entertaining! thats just my opinion though and the 28 million people watching american idol disagree with me.
It's nice to see NBC give shows chances though.
I havn't said this in a long time but NBC is very underrated.
Old 04-20-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
who watches ER anymore anyway??
Actually, this has been a pretty solid year for ER. Better than the past 2-3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.