Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' 20min (IMAX 3D)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 12:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember hearing about this awhile back but here's new news about the 3D segment of the new Harry Potter film:

Warner Bros. Pictures' Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to feature IMAX(R) 3D finale

LOS ANGELES, April 19, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- IMAX Corporation and Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that select scenes of the IMAX DMR(R) version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be digitally converted into An IMAX 3D Experience(R). IMAX Corporation plans to use its proprietary 2D to 3D conversion technology to transform approximately 20 minutes at the end of the film - which is being digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience(R) using IMAX DMR (Digital Re-Mastering) technology - into IMAX(R) 3D. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be released in IMAX(R) theatres and conventional theatres on July 13, 2007, and Warner Bros. Pictures will be the exclusive distributor of the film to IMAX theatres worldwide.

The film is based on the best-selling J.K. Rowling book and is the fifth installment of the widely successful Harry Potter film series. The previous installment of the series, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire which opened on November 18, 2005, shattered numerous IMAX 2D box office records at the time and has grossed more than $20 million in IMAX theatres worldwide.

"We are so pleased to be bringing audiences yet another outstanding Harry Potter film to the big screen in both 35mm and IMAX theaters," said Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures. "This is the Studio's biggest franchise to date, and we expect this highly-anticipated fifth film to play phenomenally well in all theaters throughout the summer."

"The Harry Potter films are an enormous draw all over the world, and this film should prove to be no different," added Veronika Kwan-Rubinek, President of Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures International. "The last 20 minutes in IMAX 3D will add a new element of excitement to the Harry Potter experience, making this a must-see for fans of all ages. We're looking forward to a long and very successful run."

"We couldn't be happier to help bring this Harry Potter film to life in a new way," said IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "IMAX theatres are the only place to experience this year's most anticipated movies in the world's most immersive format, and we anticipate that moviegoers will want to enjoy Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix featuring scenes in IMAX 3D more than once."

"We are delighted to once again work with David Heyman and the Harry Potter team, and Warner Bros. Pictures on another memorable Harry Potter movie," added Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "We know that through the magic of IMAX, fans will already feel as is if they are right next to Harry, Ron and Hermione in IMAX's larger-than-life 2D format, and we are thrilled to treat them to an even more immersive experience with the finale of the film brought to you in IMAX 3D."

~

Once again, it's going to be interesting to see if Washington DC's three IMAX screens will showcase this as such. Udvar-Hazy doesn't have a 3D system. Natural History and Air and Space have 3D systems but since they (for some reason) couldn't showcase 'Superman Returns' with it's key IMAX 3D sequences as such, it sounds like standard 2D IMAX engagements instead - curses!
Old 04-19-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was quite unimpressed with Superman Returns on IMAX 3D so I hope this is done a little better. I'm just firmly in the camp that 3D doesn't add anything to films and just makes it a big gimmick where I'm paying attention to the 3D, not the movie.
Old 04-19-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you watch these segments without the 3D glasses? I typically go to the IMAX for midnight premieres of these movies but this is enough to turn me off to that since I don't think it adds anything to the movie and will just pull me out of the movie for this gimmick, especially at the end.
Old 04-19-07, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Can you watch these segments without the 3D glasses? I typically go to the IMAX for midnight premieres of these movies but this is enough to turn me off to that since I don't think it adds anything to the movie and will just pull me out of the movie for this gimmick, especially at the end.
you could not watch the segment with the glasses, but you'd see the double ghost image. For the IMAX screens not equipped with 3D units the entire film will be in 2D. (or in the case over at the Air and Space - "we have a 3D systmen but we can't present movies that are partially 3D" - okaaaaay)

Last edited by Giles; 04-19-07 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-19-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't get Superman IMAX 3D to work with my glasses, so I think I'll skip the Potter version.
Old 04-19-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is great news. I thought Superman looked sweet in IMAX 3D and the glasses fit fine (and worked) over my normal eyeglasses. I just wish they would make the whole movie 3D, but I'm sure eventually more traditional films will be released in 3D as well.

I like that it's the last 20 minutes of the movie in 3D, so I'm not putting on and taking off glasses throughout the film like in Superman.
Old 04-19-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Hmmm...I hadn't been in an IMAX for years but took my 3-year-old to see his first "movie" - the 3D Dinosaur film they are currently playing at the Minnesota Zoo.

I saw that both Spider-Man 3 and Harry Potter would be shown at the theater. I'd love to see them there for the screen-size and sound but I don't really want to see it the first time in 3D. Maybe I'll check it out after seeing it "normally".
Old 04-19-07, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
Hmmm...I hadn't been in an IMAX for years but took my 3-year-old to see his first "movie" - the 3D Dinosaur film they are currently playing at the Minnesota Zoo.

I saw that both Spider-Man 3 and Harry Potter would be shown at the theater. I'd love to see them there for the screen-size and sound but I don't really want to see it the first time in 3D. Maybe I'll check it out after seeing it "normally".
not to go off too much of a tangent but,

how was the Dinosaurs film?

also check out the Lions 3D feature - it's excellent and highly recommended by me.
Old 04-19-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcprules
I think this is great news. I thought Superman looked sweet in IMAX 3D and the glasses fit fine (and worked) over my normal eyeglasses.
I tried putting my glasses both inside the 3D frames (the obvious choice) and outside (last resort) and couldn't get either to work. I'm not sure what the factors are but I don't have anything unique like bifocals. I was pretty frustrated at missing out during the key action scenes so I plan on skipping any future 3D adventures unless I specifically hear they've improved the user experience for freaks like me.
Old 04-19-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Saw the last one in IMAX and will do the same this time.
Old 04-19-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
not to go off too much of a tangent but,

how was the Dinosaurs film?

also check out the Lions 3D feature - it's excellent and highly recommended by me.
It was OK. I think "Jurassic Park" forever spoiled me on CGI dinosaurs, these looked a little rough. And it was focused on lesser-known dinosaurs, so no T-Rex or Triceratops and whathaveyou. In fact, I can't even remember the names of the ones they did show, and I was a huge dino freak when I was a kid.

Also there were a LOT of helicopter shots of the areas where they found bones and of an archeologist walking around which was kinda boring. I had a big grin on my face when he pulled up to a site in a Chevy LUV, the first car I ever drove. That was something to see on the big screen

My son, however, loved it. He barely looked away, even from the boring parts that had me checking my watch. And the 3D was pretty cool, some nice moments. They actually advertised a new one called "Sea Monsters" that looked like it might be a bit better.

Anyway, it was fine for a father-son outing. We might check out the lion one too, thanks for the recommendation!